Assistance with replacing stock radio with Aftermarket Stereo - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Assistance with replacing stock radio with Aftermarket Stereo

Hey people, this is my first post as I am a new owner of a 2005 pontiac g6 gt sedan. The reason I am posting this is I wish to replace the stock radio and I am getting the run around from Best Buy and Circuit City. I need to know, other than the radio, what else would I need inorder to have it instaled? I don't care about losing the information center as I don't use it anyway. The radio has the monsoon option and both Best Buy and Circuit City were stating I needed some speacial harness to bypass the amp and wanted to charge me an arm and a leg just for this part alone. According to the circuit city web site, the items listed below are all that I need but as I stated, the sales rep wants to add another part which is really expensive. He called it a wiring harness. Please review the items listed below and I would appreciate any feedback if I'm missing something. I thank you in advance for your attention..

Metra GM Antenna Adapter (Aftermarket Radio to Factory Antenna)
MET 40GM10 Price
Qty
Total $15.99
$15.99

Metra 2000-Up Chevrolet Cavalier/Impala/Monte Carlo Custom Installation Kit
MET 993301 Price
Qty
Total $20.99
$20.99

Metra Malibu kit
MET 993302 Price
Qty
Total $17.99
$17.99

Sony HD-Ready Car Stereo
SON CDXGT320 Price
Qty
Total $93.49
$93.49
Charges for this order:
Subtotal

Est. Shipping (if applicable)

Estimated tax
Total $148.46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Lifetime Member

Why do you want to replace the Monsoon system?
The rest is my opinion;
The Monsoon Sound System is pretty good. The speakers on the other hand are quite lacking in quality. In my wife's G6 we added new speakers and an amp to deliver more power to the newer speakers with awesome results. It wasn't a cheap upgrade and we had a audio shop install it. I promise the newly added items will blow your mind, all with the look of a stock sound system.
Wait to hear from others on this forum before you do anything. I hope I was helpful.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM

I want to change my system to but I would like to keep the message center..any suggestions for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieM74 View Post
I want to change my system to but I would like to keep the message center..any suggestions for that?
Please remember to search the forums first before posting.

http://www.metraonline.com/productsl.aspx?s=99-3303

Run it through a Google search and you'll find many places to buy it all with varying prices.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM

ok....... if you have the monsoon amp you need to do one of 2 things bypass the amp... you dont necessarily need a *wiring harness* you can just run new wires best buy or circuit city will make you buy that harness because the companies dont trust their installers to test wires properly (with good reason too) i used to do car audio sales at a circuit city and the installers sucked now im a store manager at mickey shorr (michigan only) and my installers have over 15 years experience but anyways... if you dont want to have to do all that then all you need is the metra interface 99-3303 for the dic and all you have to do is hook up the wires and the kit does the rest... turns on the amp, and sends the right signal from your radio to the amp and keeps all other sensors working proplerly

note* i have seen alot of you saying on here that all that this kit does is keep your dic and onstar but it does alot more

all those warning chimes and display features that the dic does for example *oil life, door ajar, tire press., etc etc stop working now i hope everyone knows when to change the oil (50% oil life * 3000 miles) but other important things can go wrong with out you noticing so i advise on using the kit.... and if you dont want it on the dash then relocate it or hide it just to keep everything working
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Ok, I know zombie thread, but I've been interested in improving the sound of my g6. I mainly listen to XM and my ipod and I don't like the look of the metra kit (most reviews I saw weren't favorable). I want to just improve the sound. I was thinking of just replacing the monsoon amp with a better one and changing the speakers like geewhiz said. After that I am going to add a sub and amp. Nothing fancy just enough. I might even put up a tutorial to help others. ............off to the store!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in