Steering wheel controls - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Steering wheel controls

Just did a test as I have a regular cruise control only steering wheel. I ordered the leather wrapped steering wheel with stereo controls off Ebay, and to say I was surprised. It looked brand new, and the stereo controls work. They don't work correctly, but it a six disc changer wheel, and I have the RDS radio. Volume controls work fine, the lower up button switches to cd, the lower down button is mute, and the 1-6 button seeks channels or changes tracks on the cd. It will probably work correctly if I put in a 6 disc changer.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 PM

That was a lot of trouble to go through, just to save a second of time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I wanted the leather steering wheel, the controls working was a bonus. I would have put the blank panel in if it hadn't of worked.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM

OH, I see!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Question on Installation

Was the vehicle wiring harness pre-built with the connections for the Radio Controls?

How did you handle the air bag when you pulled the steering wheel?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Vehicle was already wired, which was a surprise. I pulled the column cover, then used a small punch on each side of the steering wheel and popped the airbag loose from the steering wheel and sat it on the column. There are two small holes for the airbag release, one on each side of the bag of the steering wheel. Then I pulled the back cover to the steering wheel. Couldn't get it unplugged so this was my solution. Never unplugged the airbag. Only took about 15-20 minutes and it was done.

Rob
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:37 PM

What year is your car, and what options do you have? I have a 2007 Aura and am hoping that I will have the same luck you did.

Thanks, -Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpepper View Post
Just did a test as I have a regular cruise control only steering wheel. I ordered the leather wrapped steering wheel with stereo controls off Ebay, and to say I was surprised. It looked brand new, and the stereo controls work. They don't work correctly, but it a six disc changer wheel, and I have the RDS radio. Volume controls work fine, the lower up button switches to cd, the lower down button is mute, and the 1-6 button seeks channels or changes tracks on the cd. It will probably work correctly if I put in a 6 disc changer.

Rob
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

My car is an 07.

Rob
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 AM

I had a little time this morning so I pulled the airbag to look at the wiring in the steering wheel. There are two harness plugs - one for the airbag and one for the accessories (cruise and radio controls.) The harness had about 9 wire spots on it and only 5 or 6 wires connected, and they ran to cruise control. The other 4 holes of the connector were empty, and probably intended for the radio controls.

I am going to call a Saturn dealer tomorrow and see how many clock springs are available for the car. If there are multiple clock springs that fit my model and year, I assume one will be for cars with radio controls and one will be without. At that point I will probably scrap the project. (I don't think I want to pull the clock spring off the donor car.)

If there is only one clock spring available, I will assume that the my clock spring has the extra circuits for the radio controls and I will continue. I will just pull the steering wheel harness off the donor car with the steering wheel controls. Between the steering wheel column and the radio, I will either make my own harness or poach one from the donor car as well.

Anybody know if there is a special radio for cars with steering wheel radio controls, or will mine work?

Thanks! -Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I didn't take out any clock springs, I just unplugged the harness that was there and plugged the on with the new wheel and it worked. You need the the RDS radio for the control to work though.

Rob
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM

Good deal. I called the Saturn dealer yesterday and they said there was only one clock spring for the 2007 Aura, which means the clock spring in my car is already wired with the circuits necessary to support the steering wheel controls.

My radio has RDS, so I think I should be good to go.

Thanks, -Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpepper View Post
I didn't take out any clock springs, I just unplugged the harness that was there and plugged the on with the new wheel and it worked. You need the the RDS radio for the control to work though.

Rob
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM

So if I put a 6-CD changer radio in my car and my steering wheel has the controls for the radio for a one-disc player... will the controls still work properly, but I will just be missing the attributes of the 6-cd changer steering wheel?

Also, apparently it's rare, but my steering wheel has the Cruise control and stereo controls... it's leather-wrapepd, but it is all black. And the buttons are all big in comparison to the silver-accented steering wheels with smaller black control buttons.
I believe mine is 4-prong and the silver accent steering wheel is 3-prong. Some aspects of the controls (I can't remember what--like seek/vol/etc) are on opposite sides when comparing 3-prong to 4-prong. Does anyone know if I could order a 3-prong silver accent steering wheel and it work properly with my car? I was told it wouldn't, but I am used to not trusting dealerships/ebay sellers/mechanics, so I'm asking here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in