Radio- Materials quality/Peeling - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Radio- Materials quality/Peeling

I couldn't decide where to post this topic, but I guess this is as good a place as any...

Does anyone else find it extremely ridiculous that the G6's radio is made of such pi$$ poor materials? I mean, to have the black rub off on the number/seek/search buttons in a matter a year or less is the most ridiculous, unsatisfactory, make-me-mad thing ever.

All this money on a new car... all this time invested into a great design... a beautiful GM car, and then what, skimp out on the interior? I know that GM has often had some issues when compared to Toyota's and Nissans and plasticy vs. synthetic materials... but I mean, I've been in some Toyotas and nothing at all is appealing to me on the dashboard. I think the G6 looks so nice, but then they go and have this shitey quality. Why?

The thing is... The Cobalt, G5, and even the Pontiac SV6 (MINIVAN) are made of better materials. My mom's stereo in her van is gorgeous... the silver accents on it, the doors, and steering wheel are of an actual quality material, not a coated material that will peel off... a long with everything that is black... nothing is coated.

Why coat the buttons on the radio? Why not having something that will last? I think a huge problem with GM is the amount of small problems like that... problems that are covered in the 36K warranty. I had my radio replaced before 36K and now, of course, the peeling is worse than ever. Maybe I'm acidic, I dunno.

I just cannot grasp why the (also Malibu) G5, Cobalt, and a minivan would have such nicer, synthetic, non-coated materials and the sporty, yet nice G6 has what it has.

Maybe silver accents and whatnot are played out, but a redesign like the Malabu or at least a use of the same types of materials would thrill the hell out of me. IT NEEDS TO BE DONE! And hey, if they want to keep the all black theme on the dashboard/radio area, then the materials and shine used in the silver accents on the other cars would look really cool in black... I really think that.

Oh yeah, and one more thing.... the dashboard area that surrounds the radio, AC controls, and the middle 2 vents... the 2005 and 2006 G6's are made with such a better material. It's different than the actual dashboard material and it blends perfectly with the radio/AC. It is of much higher quality (to me) and it looks so much better (to me). It's like they decided to save a few bucks and cheapened it up. If I had to get a new G6, I would order that part from the 06 bc it looks so much better.

Being in my mom's vehicle, exploring G5's as a possibility for my sis, and then sitting in my friends 2008 Cobalt... really make me think WTF about all this.

Just take a look on Chevy or Pontiac.com or somewhere.... there is such a difference. And those other cars' materials do not peel... and then have the backlight shining through the peel at night. On my first radio, I used a sharpie marker to cover it up, but it wasn't heavy/thick enough to stop the red light from shining through at night.

I love my baby and I think these materials are an insult when GM themselves has better quality stuff in other cars...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Member

?, I dont find that prob. Maybe Mr Robert Plant left some icecream on the knob and the acid is making yours yucky. See what I mean Robert Plant can't even drive! I don't know why the women love'm.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Well, you can definitely tell that the over-all materials, even the buttons, are of better quality in the SV6 and the cobalt/g5.

But I won't deny that I must be acidic.

I hope it wasn't Robert's ice cream! He knows how I feel about that stuff in my car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcorleone View Post
I hope it wasn't Robert's ice cream! He knows how I feel about that stuff in my car!
LMAO!^^^

Mike
MODS;
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
LMAO!^^^

Your car (your wife's!) is just like mine... but newer and with a sunroof. I like looking at it, lol, but now I want a sunroof. I just try to make myself feel better by saying, "If I had a sunroof, I'd forget to close it even if it warned me... I'd mess up my car somehow." That's what gets me through, hahaha.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Member

^^^
she doesn't like when I drive it too much. I think its because I look cool in it. Hell, I look cool in a Vega!

Mike
MODS;
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Ive replaced my radio knobs once already....

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Ive replaced my radio knobs once already....
I got my baby in the shop now to have them hopefully replace my power button/knob on which the power symbol has been wearing down. As well as many other problems
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
have 06 with 36000 no probs yet. Guess i'll take it easy on the buttons.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 AM

The radio buttons on my Alero wear off after a few years of seldom use. Yes these buttons were crap and I thought/hope GM have fixed this deficiency with the new G6. Guess not.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I got my baby in the shop now to have them hopefully replace my power button/knob on which the power symbol has been wearing down. As well as many other problems
I just got my ride back from Pontiac and they're ordering me an entire new stereo in order to fix the problem of the power button wearing off. Hey at least they gave me no problems and replaced it for free under warranty.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I hate to tell you this but you are not getting a new radio.
Your getting a refurbished one. They wont give you a new one under warranty.
Its a trade with Delphi for a refurb. Your radio will then be warrantied for only one
year after replacement. All replacement parts have a one year warranty.

Depending on where you are in your warranty that can be a good or bad thing.

Just fyi....

Ive been down this road before.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
I hate to tell you this but you are not getting a new radio.
Your getting a refurbished one. They wont give you a new one under warranty.
Its a trade with Delphi for a refurb. Your radio will then be warrantied for only one
year after replacement. All replacement parts have a one year warranty.

Depending on where you are in your warranty that can be a good or bad thing.

Just fyi....

Ive been down this road before.
Thanks for informing me on this
And yay! For GM pulling the wool over our eyes giving us "refurbished" parts that'll probably break again for the same reason
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslcom View Post
The radio buttons on my Alero wear off after a few years of seldom use. Yes these buttons were crap and I thought/hope GM have fixed this deficiency with the new G6. Guess not.
My ex has an Alero and those buttons were sooo worn! It was so cheap and made a good car look way bad (in my opinion).

I haven't had any knob problems, guys... what's up with that? what happens to the knob.

Here are some (bad) pics of my radio. The only time I ever think to do this is at night while driving, haha... but they can give you an idea. It's getting bad and I find it highly ridiculous to drive such a new car and have the radio look like shiznit.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp radio3.bmp (73.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: bmp radio4.bmp (58.6 KB, 185 views)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if there is any kind of clear protective coating that could be put on the radios? That wouldn't be obvious.... I am getting a new radio soon and I really don't want any peeling or whatever happening again! (it'll be my THIRD radio in 73K miles)

or maybe a special force field... like those invisible dog fences... I'll get one installed around my radio so I never touch it..... that's not extreme!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in