wiring info for 2005-2007 g6 sound system..and oh yeah was the info for my 2008 also - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bubbashrimp Send a message via Yahoo to bubbashrimp
wiring info for 2005-2007 g6 sound system..and oh yeah was the info for my 2008 also

Ok here's where to go guys and gals! First go to crutchfield.com. Once you're on their page, click on Customer Support at the very top right of the page. Next click on the orange Search Our Online Support Center. On the next page that opens up, there will an area in the middle of the page called Search My Product. In this area click on the Sub-Categories drop down menu, and click on vehicle specific. Then on the next drop down menu click on Pontiac. On the next drop down menu click on G6. On the next drop down menu click on 2005-2007. After all of that is selected, click on the search button to the right. Once you do that there will be several links providing info for the sound system wiring for the 2005-2007 G6, and like i said in my post title it was the same wiring info for my 2008 too. They provide wiring info for the monsoon and the non-monsoon systems. These schematics are mostly helpful if you are doing a factory amplifier bypass.

If you would like to retain the factory head unit but want to add amps you can tap into the the low level out coming from the factory head unit. The low level out lines are full range audio signal, unlike the output of the monsoon amp. The outputs of the monsoon amp are at different crossover frequencies and do not provide a full range audio signal. The low level out lines can be t-tapped into, then I cut the end off of a high quality twisted pair rca. Then strip back the wiring on both sides of the two channel rca, and put on male spade connectors so you can plug them into the t-taps. then repeat the process you did with the first set of rca's with the second set of rca's( I used two 17' 2 channel rca's, you can use a 4 channel if you prefer but with the two channel it's easier to figure out the wire ends when you cut off the one side). So now you'll have your rca's for your amplifier. Don't worry about sound quality of the low level coming out of the factory head unit, it's actually a very clean signal that it provides. I had absolutely no engine noise in the system either. Adding another amp for the sub is easy also, as long as you get a 4 channel amp with a rca out for additional amps. If you want seperate volume control for your subwoofer, just make sure you get a sub amp with a wired volume remote.

It would be in your best interest, and the easiest way to go about doing things by replacing the factory speakers with aftermarket(my preference would be polk audio). You can retain the factory speakers also though. I would explain how to use the factory speakers, but it's pretty in depth and probably would only be understood by someone that does this work for a living...which is what i do It involves wiring the speakers certain ways to get proper ohm loads, and this method makes you lose the fade option but you would retain the balance option. To most people those two options are not a big deal anyway, cause they usually keep it all centered.

The only thing I haven't tried since doing this is my onstar function. I would assume that this would work just fine still though cause the onstar goes through the factory radio....cant say for sure though

well people I hope this was informative to you
take it easy,
bubbashrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

and oh yeah!

You can also use the factory amp turn-on wire for your aftermarket amps. Its kind of cool too cause whenever you use a keyless function with your key pad it activates the remote wire. When I pop my trunk at night time it will light up my amps for a brief amount of time and then shut off.(don't worry it's supposed to do that)

So you can pretty much do all your work in the back of the vehicle. The only thing i had to run from the front, was the power wire from the battery.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
Is it easy to find the remote wire? where is the amp located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes the remote wire is easy to find

I believe it is pink and is in the harness at the amp....it's been awhile so not positive on the color....but the area in crutchfield.com gives you all the wiring info on the vehicle. The amp is located in the rear passenger quarter panel. You just pull the trunk lining away from the quarter panel area. Just make sure you unscrew the trunk the things that allow you to put the cargo nets on the side first.

Now if it's a convertible they may have the amp somewhere else in the vehicle. I have the 2008 gt version
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Also let me clearify something

The method of catching the low level signal from the factory head unit only works if you have the monsoon system....the standard audio system does not use low level signal it's a high level signal.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

I haven't been on here in awhile. Just wanted to update this post with one other thing. previously I said I wasn't sure if the onstar would work with this. Since this original post I have used the onstar, and it works perfectly still

Last edited by bubbashrimp; 04-18-2010 at 09:38 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Hi, I have a 2007 G6 GT Convertible with the monsoon system.

I want to replace the factory monsoon stereo with a double din stereo (AVIC-F700BT). I dont mind loosing the DIC, and I am not planning to replace the factory amp or speakers.

My question is: can I just hook up the aftermarket stereo with a normal harness adapter (not the one with the DIC)? or will doing this blow up the monsoon amp due to the signal of the aftermarket stereo being high level instead of low level preamp?

Would using the RCA preouts from the aftermarket stereo to connect to the wiring harness work?

Thank you veyr much for your help
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Red vert 07

Call Metraonline Red Vert. Their tech support line will be able to tell you what harness you need. Seeing as that in my aplication I didn't replace the stock radio I'm not positive which harness goes into the vehicle. I'm no longer in car electronics installation either( 9 years was enough ), but if you give them a call they'll be able to tell you which harness you need. Usually there's a special harness that will have the RCA inputs built into it. From previous experience I know some monsoon systems can have high level input going into them. Just call metraonline though. Their tech support line is 1-800-253-8324
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM

hey man you have said this already and if u did im sorry but let me explain my situation. i have an 06' gt coupe with monsoon system and i added aftermarket subs and boxed speakers with one full range and one class d amp. i bought the crutchfeild dic aftermarket mount and it worked great for about a yr. then it burned out, i got it replaced and when i hooked everything up my radio would always stay on and i had alot of problems geting the rcas to work and everything. now that mite be the radio ( tell me what you think bc the radio is bout 4 yrs old and its a sony) but the dic went blank and once again the speakers wont work. im sick of this trearing the car apart and it dieing on my cause the radio stays on. so i was reading in here how you said u could replace the speakers with after market and get rid of this need for the dic converter for the monsoon system. couple questions if u know.. first if i switch them out do i need to replace the monsoon amp with an aftermarket amp? if so will the stock head unit still work if i decide to sell the car? then if i dont need it is their any special wireing or do i putt speakers in and disconnect the amp? and if i do that would the stock radio work?? any help would be awsome. i just want my amps to work and speakers to work while haveing an ipod hook up. any help would be great. i do this by myself and the car audio places around me are real tools and have no clue what they are talking about, they just try to sell my something new or get me to put their shop sticker on my car haha. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in