XM Radio and iPod from Access and Terk? - Pontiac G6 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Cool XM Radio and iPod from Access and Terk?

I have a 2005 G6 with Monsoon + OnStar and I am considering getting the XM Radio and iPod direct connect from Access and Terk. Has anyone tried doing it and will it work?

Integrated Solutions is offering it for around $270. I wanna keep my monsoon and DIC.

Also, I have a panoramic sunroof with a sharp-fin antenna. Will this interfere with installing the Access + Terk system??

Any help is appreciated!
vickali is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Premium Member
 
KB G6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: lat: 38.897605896 N, long: 77.0365219116 W
Age: 35
Posts: 566
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickali View Post
I have a 2005 G6 with Monsoon + OnStar and I am considering getting the XM Radio and iPod direct connect from Access and Terk. Has anyone tried doing it and will it work?

Integrated Solutions is offering it for around $270. I wanna keep my monsoon and DIC.

Also, I have a panoramic sunroof with a sharp-fin antenna. Will this interfere with installing the Access + Terk system??

Any help is appreciated!
I have the XM radio direct connect done on mine from Circuit City, I'm assuming it's basically the same set up as the XM/iPod direct connect. My installation was $170 (already had the receiver).

I also have the pano sunroof with the same antenna and if the installation is similiar to mine it shouldn't interfere with it.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
KB G6 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
I have the XM radio direct connect done on mine from Circuit City, I'm assuming it's basically the same set up as the XM/iPod direct connect. My installation was $170 (already had the receiver).

I also have the pano sunroof with the same antenna and if the installation is similiar to mine it shouldn't interfere with it.
I was planning on doing the installation myself and save some money. Would you know how easy/hard would that be?
vickali is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post

I also have the pano sunroof with the same antenna and if the installation is similiar to mine it shouldn't interfere with it.
Also, did the CircuitCity installation reuse the sharp fin antenna or the one that came with the XM direct connect? I dont want another hole in my roof! lol...
vickali is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickali View Post
I have a 2005 G6 with Monsoon + OnStar and I am considering getting the XM Radio and iPod direct connect from Access and Terk. Has anyone tried doing it and will it work?

Integrated Solutions is offering it for around $270. I wanna keep my monsoon and DIC.

Also, I have a panoramic sunroof with a sharp-fin antenna. Will this interfere with installing the Access + Terk system??

Any help is appreciated!
I have an 05 G6 GT (no onstar) but I purchased the XM/Ipod kit from integreated solutions a couple of years ago and installed it myself and it works great. I didn't lose any features on the car (example DIC) and having the XM work on the stock radio is great.

At first I installed the terk/Axxess adapter all underneath by the fuse boxes and drivers side but it gets a little tight and the terk gets warm, so changed it and put the terk in the glove box (used velco to hold it down) and the Axxess by the fuse box panel (passenger side) and it also allows for easy access for any problems (flashing the Axxess for example).

The hardest part of the install is the harness and removing the dash/radio. It actually gets quite scary when you realise how much you have to remove. I believe there is a sticky on this thread that details the instructions but it involves removing panels under the steering wheel, glovebox and the entire console that surrounds the HVAC and radio.

The harness is plug and play and a breeze to install, just test it quickly with the terk/adapter before you close up the dash.

One important note. When I first installed my Axxess on the G6, my battery died after a couple of days without driving! After a lot of running around, removing the kit, installing a new one the problem didn't go away so I pulled the unit totally. Integration solutions were great in support and shipping a replacement and was about to refund my money when Axxess released a firmware update that fixed a battery drain issue on the G6 (it was pulling power when the ignition was off). So they shipped me a USB cable to update the firmware and that fixed the problem.

I hope this helps
agault is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Premium Member
 
KB G6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: lat: 38.897605896 N, long: 77.0365219116 W
Age: 35
Posts: 566
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickali View Post
I was planning on doing the installation myself and save some money. Would you know how easy/hard would that be?
Sorry didn't see your question until today! As you see from agault you might be in over your head with that system. I watched a little of what the CC guy was doing and I think the hard part was getting the thing connected to the radio and going under the dash to get to the radio. If you know your way around the car you might be able to do it. If not, I would recommend you get a few more quotes around town because $270 seems a bit steep to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickali View Post
Also, did the CircuitCity installation reuse the sharp fin antenna or the one that came with the XM direct connect? I dont want another hole in my roof! lol...
They didn't use the fin antenna, but you don't need a hole in the roof. The XM antenna is held onto the car with a strong magnet and the wire goes under the weather stripping where it meets up with the cradle that holds the XM receiver. I would take a picture but the car is still covered with partly with snow and the parking attendant people would look at me weird. They only problem is that the display is out of sight unless you have the turn signal on, but I can change the station just by the feel of the buttons.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
KB G6 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
If not, I would recommend you get a few more quotes around town because $270 seems a bit steep to me.
270 is just the price of the package from Integrated Solutions on eBay. I havent checked the installation cost yet. I am planning to do it myself, hope it is not too hard. I am looking to find some diagrams/video/instructions to take apart the panels and all.

My concern was the whole antenna because i dont know how/where to place it and how to hide it and the wires. If you could post some inside the car pics (not snow covered ones, lol. we dont want to weird out the parking attendants!!), that will help me.
vickali is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agault View Post
I have an 05 G6 GT (no onstar) but I purchased the XM/Ipod kit from integreated solutions a couple of years ago and installed it myself and it works great. I didn't lose any features on the car (example DIC) and having the XM work on the stock radio is great.

At first I installed the terk/Axxess adapter all underneath by the fuse boxes and drivers side but it gets a little tight and the terk gets warm, so changed it and put the terk in the glove box (used velco to hold it down) and the Axxess by the fuse box panel (passenger side) and it also allows for easy access for any problems (flashing the Axxess for example).

The hardest part of the install is the harness and removing the dash/radio. It actually gets quite scary when you realise how much you have to remove. I believe there is a sticky on this thread that details the instructions but it involves removing panels under the steering wheel, glovebox and the entire console that surrounds the HVAC and radio.

The harness is plug and play and a breeze to install, just test it quickly with the terk/adapter before you close up the dash.

One important note. When I first installed my Axxess on the G6, my battery died after a couple of days without driving! After a lot of running around, removing the kit, installing a new one the problem didn't go away so I pulled the unit totally. Integration solutions were great in support and shipping a replacement and was about to refund my money when Axxess released a firmware update that fixed a battery drain issue on the G6 (it was pulling power when the ignition was off). So they shipped me a USB cable to update the firmware and that fixed the problem.

I hope this helps
Thanks, that is really helpful. I will definitely look into the battery issue before buying it.

If you could post some pics of the placement of Access and Terk, that will be very helpful. Another thing, how easy is it controlling the iPod from the stereo controls?
vickali is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
 
I'll see if I can get some photos taken. It's -30c here with the windchill though, so I don't have any desire to be outside with my camera

The terk literally just sits in the glovebox with the owners manual and my tire pressure guage I just stuck two pieces of velcro to it so it doesn't move around.

The Axxess unit is just next to the passenger side fuse panel and you'll find a bunch of foam (that GM installed that will keep it in place).

I think the battery issue has been resolved and the new units will ship with the updated firmware.

To be honest, I'm not a big ipod guy and I use it more for the XM. However, I tried and basically the track/title info displays on the stock radio and you can browse songs using the radio or steering controls etc. Once you connect your ipod, all of the controls are on the radio, it actually blocks local use of the ipod and just displays an Axxess logo.

Although I programmed in my favourite XM stations on the radio (1 - 6 buttons) and this works, I found that the steering wheel 1-6 button does not work but everything else does.

When I did my install, I used these instructions:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...t=remove+radio

Last edited by agault; 03-03-2009 at 09:34 AM.
agault is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Premium Member
 
KB G6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: lat: 38.897605896 N, long: 77.0365219116 W
Age: 35
Posts: 566
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickali View Post
270 is just the price of the package from Integrated Solutions on eBay. I havent checked the installation cost yet. I am planning to do it myself, hope it is not too hard. I am looking to find some diagrams/video/instructions to take apart the panels and all.

My concern was the whole antenna because i dont know how/where to place it and how to hide it and the wires. If you could post some inside the car pics (not snow covered ones, lol. we dont want to weird out the parking attendants!!), that will help me.


This is the XM Antenna from afar...as I said it's attached via a strong magnet



Just a close up of the antenna, the cord goes under the weather stripping.



The cord goes under the weather stripping (towards the right of the photo, next to the sun glare)...



...and comes in the door opening



The antenna cord then meets up with the direct access cable...



Finally the cords go into the XM receiver. Again this position is far from ideal, and I will eventually hide the cords better, but it works for now.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
KB G6 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Thanks KB G6 for the pics. Hope you didnt freeze off, lol. How does the outside antenna hold up against rain and snow?
vickali is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
 
Vickali,

The pics from KB are not for the Intergrated Solutions harness/terk (I assume you know that)? With the intergreated harness all of the XM controls are through the stock radio.

Also, on mine I just put the antenna on the back parcel shelf (inside), ran it down behind the back passenger seats and through to the front radio panel under the carpet. It works just fine inside the car and I don't have to worry about any leaking
agault is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Premium Member
 
KB G6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: lat: 38.897605896 N, long: 77.0365219116 W
Age: 35
Posts: 566
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickali View Post
Thanks KB G6 for the pics. Hope you didnt freeze off, lol. How does the outside antenna hold up against rain and snow?
It works quite well. I've had it on the G6 and a Chevy Lumina before I traded it in and haven't had any problems with it moving or anything. I would recommend that you move the antenna, every so often because when I traded in the Lumina the paint was a little rusty where the magnet sat, but I 've had the antenna on the 6 since April and been moving it around and no marks so far.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
KB G6 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agault View Post
Vickali,

The pics from KB are not for the Intergrated Solutions harness/terk (I assume you know that)? With the intergreated harness all of the XM controls are through the stock radio.

Also, on mine I just put the antenna on the back parcel shelf (inside), ran it down behind the back passenger seats and through to the front radio panel under the carpet. It works just fine inside the car and I don't have to worry about any leaking
I was wondering too why he had the Delphi receiver when you have the XM working thru monsoon, lol. Thanks for clearing that up!

I have also seen some installations with the antenna sitting on the far right (passenger side) of the front dash near the windshield. The wiring looks lot easier there without worrying about going under the seats and carpets.
vickali is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
It works quite well. I've had it on the G6 and a Chevy Lumina before I traded it in and haven't had any problems with it moving or anything. I would recommend that you move the antenna, every so often because when I traded in the Lumina the paint was a little rusty where the magnet sat, but I 've had the antenna on the 6 since April and been moving it around and no marks so far.
Lets just say that in my neighborhood I would not be comfortable with leaving the antenna outside, LOL. Also, with the amount of rain that we get here, I dont think it is a viable option to put it on top. I am thinking of putting it inside the car somewhere on the front dash.
vickali is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome