Wiring Harness and Sub Question - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Harness and Sub Question

Hi everyone,

I am on here for my girlfriends car. She has a 2006 G6 and has somehow blown the speakers in it. Now its been a long time scince I have installed a stereo and these new cars I dont want to play with.

Where is the best place to by an aftermarket wiring harness for a G6? The guys here are the electronics store wants to charge me $200 for a wiring harness.

Basically what I am wanting to do is run after market speakers to an amp, instead of speakers to the deck, so that she can play it louder than these factory speakers. While I am at it I am wanting to add a sub or 2 to her trunk.

Now for my 2nd question. Whats the benefits of 2 subs over 1? I used to run 2 in my old car because I was in high school and it was cooler to have 2 subs than 1 but is there really that big of a difference? I am either going to go with 1 12" L7 or 2 8" L7 but may look at the Alpine Type R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 AM

If you're keeping the factory head unit then all you need is a line level converter such as this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...vel+converters The line level converter makes it a bit easier to install, all you have to do is tap into the speaker wires off the back of the deck & run RCA's to the amp.

Alternately you could purchase an amp with High Level (speaker) inputs... then all you need to do is run the wires off the deck, into the amp & from there to the speakers. Most popular brands (Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood etc) have High Level Inputs.

The $200 harness they were trying to sell you is so that you can install an aftermarket deck in the car... the G6's driver information center is built into the radio (Most if not all models)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Vibin'. It was the guy at Best Buy here in Grande Prairie. They did show me the piece you have linked here but told me it would sound like crap. Have you done this before does it sound alright?

What I am looking at doing is running either 2 10 inch kicker CompVR or L7's in her trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 AM

Wow, you're pretty close to me.

Nope, never used that particular one. Have used a different on that I picked up at AVU. Worked ok for the car I put it in (Mini Cooper). When we added the sub & amp to our G6, we just tapped into the rear speakers & went the high level input route. Worked like a charm! That's my suggestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in