Can you add GM's Mylink btooth radio to '08 G6? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Can you add GM's Mylink btooth radio to '08 G6?

Hi -- we are looking at buying a new '08 G6 Value Edition model from a local dealer. The '08s have the older model stereo set up and we would like to somehow add bluetooth telephone and USB port (we have a Zune mp3 player) capabilities if possible (maybe XM too?). Can you swap the the older '08 style radios with the new '09.5 ones? The dealer didn't know and recommended going to a car radio shop. The new '09.5 GM 'Mylink' model stereos have a USB port, bluetooth, XM, and also display turn-by-turn directions from the Onstar system. This would be ideal -- either converting the old radio to do the same functions, or swapping it out for the new version.

There is so little online about GM's radios! I'm not even sure what the models numbers actually are.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

I know with older models you could swap them around. i.e. switching an 05 radio to an 08 radio with aux input.

I'm not too sure about the 09.5 radios though. I imagine that if it fits and the dealer programs it to your car that it should work just fine.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Breaks Stuff

It's not in the radio, its part of the onstar module and is a ROYAL bitch to retrofit.. I've done it not fun LOL

Chris White
2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
2009 Cyber Gray 3LZ Z06- '10 Launch Control
2012 CTS-V Intake/Exhaust - Custom BCM
2012 Acadia Denali AWD - Custom BCM
2012 Jeep SRT-8 STOCK
2013 SRX Premium - CUE - Custom IPC/BCM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
It's not in the radio, its part of the onstar module and is a ROYAL bitch to retrofit.. I've done it not fun LOL
What is -- and how? Any step-by-step procedures on this? Any info on here or on the net? Do the dealers do this conversion? Radio shops? What would a fair price be at a dealer or a stereo shop? We test drove a G5 with the Mylink package and the little I tried with it seemed to really work well, similar to the voice operated systems with the Ford Sync, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The second biggest problem I'm having with the car right now is we went to the Pontiac dealer today, (45 miles away...) and: 1.) the G6 Value Editions on the lot all turned out to be demos (not the total end of the world, but we were not told this on the phone beforehand), and 2.) after we spent two-and-a-half hours looking at and test driving the cars, etc, when the salesman 'went to his manager' to close the deal at the price their internet staff person had quoted me over the phone days before, the guy comes back and says it was impossible because the price was so low, and lo-and-behold, the internet person was out on Saturdays -- so the SOB wants to jack the price up by $800. So we put a deposit down but now we're in limbo and I would argue this was a bait and, well bait. I'm going to try and talk to the dealership owner on Monday and tell him how badly this was all handled.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Breaks Stuff

If you just want the Radio with the USB in thats a little easier, the bluetooth is part of the onstar module

Chris White
2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
2009 Cyber Gray 3LZ Z06- '10 Launch Control
2012 CTS-V Intake/Exhaust - Custom BCM
2012 Acadia Denali AWD - Custom BCM
2012 Jeep SRT-8 STOCK
2013 SRX Premium - CUE - Custom IPC/BCM
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mylink btooth radio conversion in a 2008 G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
If you just want the Radio with the USB in thats a little easier, the bluetooth is part of the onstar module
I saw something on a Cadillac owner's blog about some 'module' that is added or needs to be added from Delco. Something added to the On-Star system? Also, I guess steering wheel switches may need to be added?

Based on your experience doing this, do you have any actual specifics on what parts may be needed for this type of conversion and cost estimates? My dad would like to try to have a bluetooth setup and an mp3 connection and maybe the XM activated either using the existing 2008 radio (I have no idea what the model is but it's from the value edition sedan so it has to be the cheapest) or if needed, swapping out the stock radio for the new 2009.5 Mylink version.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in