Installing an aux port on a 2007 G6 GT - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Installing an aux port on a 2007 G6 GT

I am basically looking for the cheapest method to install an aux port with the stock head unit of this car. From what I have read, there are cables/adapters that can plug into the back of the head unit and will then give you access to an aux port to use for various devices. I took my car to the only local car audio store in my town and asked them about it and they said it required a special piece that would need to be ordered and estimated it'd be at least $200 for the install. This seemed steep to me considering Best Buy claims they can install aux ports in any car for $60 (not including the hardware needed).

So my question is, what adapter or cable would I need to do this? I have experience with car audio, but can't for the life of me find an image of the back of a G6's head unit so I can see what ports are there. It also kind of bothers me how difficult it is to access the rear part of the head unit considering you have to remove the glove box of the vehicle among other things.

Can anyone fill me in on exactly what piece I'd need to do this? Also, how would you go about selecting the aux input on the head unit when there is no built in aux port? I know with many head units that include aux inputs, you can just select the aux mode and it will receive input through the port. But since this head unit doesn't include such a port, how would you even select it?

and lastly, anyone happen to have an image of the rear of these head units just so I can have an idea of what I'd be working with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:53 PM
2007 gt retractable

does it have xm?are you using it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenish View Post
does it have xm?are you using it?
I do not think it has XM, it doesn't have the little XM antenna on the top of the vehicle and nothing on the head unit that indicates XM service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I used the Scosche FM-MOD01 in my 07.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:32 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLCAPS View Post
I do not think it has XM, it doesn't have the little XM antenna on the top of the vehicle and nothing on the head unit that indicates XM service.
i tapped into the wires between the xm module and the radio but i don't know if you radio has the input on the back.btw 2008 and up g6 radios have a built in aux input but im told the radio only work in the car they were installed in unless a gm dealer resets them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
I'm assuming this would get rid of FM radio abilities, right? I mean I'm not entirely against that. I live in a pretty rural area and FM reception is mediocre at best down here. Also the little box that on that kit that allow you to switch frequencies, do you need to be able to always access that? Or can it be hidden behind the dash? Not exactly sure what the frequency selections do on the thing.

I think I'm going to find some other car audio places around the area and shoot them emails and get more estimates. There's only one in my town, but I'm willing to drive elsewhere if I can find a much better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenish View Post
i tapped into the wires between the xm module and the radio but i don't know if you radio has the input on the back.btw 2008 and up g6 radios have a built in aux input but im told the radio only work in the car they were installed in unless a gm dealer resets them.
I've contemplated doing this as I've seen 2008+ model head units for sale online and they aren't that pricey. But then I read that a GM dealer charges a pretty penny just to flash the unit to your car which sucks. I could just replace the entire head unit with some aftermarket one, but then I'd lose the whole trip meter, MPG, fuel range, etc. features and I don't want that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post

Does this one work for the Monsoon GTs?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:31 AM
2007 gt retractable

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM
08 convertible

There is an outfit that will refurb your own radio and add aux to it. Seems to me like a better way than the FM transmitters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-Aux-M...!-1:rk:21:pf:0
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Yeah it works fine with Monsoon. It only cuts out FM when you flip the switch.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in