G6 Monsoon Amp Bypass/Removal Diagram - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

G6 Monsoon Amp Bypass/Removal Diagram

I searched everywhere for this info, on this site, all over the internet, etc and couldn't find it. So I did the job and made this wiring diagram to help anyone else doing this. Hopefully it's helpful to someone. Use this if you're adding an aftermarket head unit and speakers to your 2006 Pontiac G6 Coupe with Monsoon audio system. (you know you have Monsoon by pulling the passenger side carpet back in the trunk and find a Black Box w/ red letters on it "Monsoon")

Following the attached wiring diagram allows you to remove the factory amp from your system. I did this because the amp was causing strange behavior especially in the rear speakers after I installed my head unit and speakers and I plan on adding an amp in the future anyway.

Hit me up if you have any questions about the diagram, plenty of other posts/videos about getting to the speakers and head units out there so not posting that info.

I'm also attaching factory head unit & amp wiring diagrams since it took me way to long to find them and a picture of the finished bypass wiring splice I did in the trunk before cleaning it up and tucking it away.

Other info:
- Monsoon amp part number I removed: 15833071 (on a white sticker on your Monsoon amp)
- Look very closely at the back of the plugs you remove from the amp, the corners show the pin #s. For example, on the 8 pin black connector, you'll see a '1' in the top left corner, an '4' in top right, '5' bottom left, and '8' bottom right. Use this (and the wire color) to figure out which wire is in which pin to help you use the diagram. (I attached a pic of this)

Note:
The wires from the head unit to the amp are a smaller gauge than standard speaker wire, this is because the factory head unit isn't pushing the speakers with these wires, only sending the audio signal to the amp. By bypassing the amp, you're now using these wires to drive the speakers which limits the power your head unit can send to the speakers. Highly recommend adding (now or later) an aftermarket amp at which time you'd run RCA cables which eliminates the need to use the super skinny factory wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 Pontiac G6 Amp Bypass Diagram.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	13679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio to Amp Wiring.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	13681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Location.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	13683   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Pin connector.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	13685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Bypass Wiring.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	13687  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 AM

Thanks for posting. I am sure others will find this useful
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
thanks for posting. I am sure others will find this useful
x2

I think ill copy this in the "How TO" thread

thanks!!

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in