Most of my speakers just stopped working - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Most of my speakers just stopped working

Like the title says, I was driving home from work yesterday, and just suddenly without warning, most of the speakers in my car stopped working. The only speakers working are the rear right and the little tweeter in the driver door. I didn't go over a bump or anything, there were no issues before, they just all stopped working at the exact same time.

I'm going to assume that since a bunch of speaker stopped working at the exact same time, its most likely a problem inside the radio. When the weather is more agreeable I guess Im going to have to pull the radio out and see if something let the smoke out inside. Anyone else have this happen and have some suggestions on where to start looking?

This honestly might be the last straw with this absolute piece of junk car. If I can't fix this myself I'm probably just going to abandon it in a ditch somewhere and go buy a Kia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

So I pulled the radio out and had a look inside. Theres no fuses and no obvious marks indicating a component let the smoke out. I cleaned the connectors and put a little dielectric grease on them and now both the rear speakers work but the front speakers remain inoperative. I spoke to a friend who knows a bit about car audio and he said that probably the circuitry for the front speakers is fried. Yay.

If I can get my hands on a new OEM head unit from a scrapper or something, is it a simple matter of swapping the units, or is there some dumb security bullshit I have to do to get it to work?

Last edited by BlargKing; 03-24-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:36 PM

I believe the stock radios are coded to the VIN. You would need a dealer / someone with a Tech II or similar to relearn the new VIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Okay update time.

I pulled apart the front doors and checked the front speakers with my multi meter, and they're completely shot, theres no continuity between the connectors. I connected my multi meter to the wires coming from the head unit and theres plenty of voltage making it to the speakers, so it looks like my front speakers are shot.

At least speakers are easier to replace than the head unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in