G6 Radio w/6 disc changer - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

G6 Radio w/6 disc changer

Hey everyone

Does anyone know how many watts the stock radio has? This is not the monsoon, but just one step below. I'm looking to make some upgrades since this system is not the best in the world. My last car had a top of the line Apline dec, Boston Acoustics component speakers w/ crossovers, one 12" RF sub and two amps. One amp ran the speakers and one ran the sub.

I'm just looking for something with a little more umph...know what I mean?

Though, this really isn't bad for GM stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:49 PM

I've got the same radio as you, I agree that it needs a bit more. I had a '04 Grand Prix GTP that I traded for the G6 which had the Monsoon system. I was pretty happy with that system, although the audiophiles in ClubGP would bad mouth it.

Hopefully someone who knows will follow up with some good info about how to add to the stock system and at least be happier, I know nothing about choosing amps and subs. I can't afford to put the money into a whole new radio system.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Bob. I went over to Tweeter and the guy there (same one who put the first one together) seems to think that the 100 watts from the radio should be more than enough to run two 6x9 Boston Acoustics (SX95) speakers in the rear and two Polk Audio component speakers (MMC6500's) in doors. If that doesn't work he suggested adding an amp to clear up the sound at the high end and add just a little more power. The bass isn't too bad either. Though it's not the same without the subwoofer in the trunk LOL. I may be getting a little too old for this stuff.

Total will be around $700 or so. Not too bad, but I was hoping to find something for a little less $$...maybe I'll wait for a sale on Crutchfield.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 01:05 AM

$700 for just a speaker upgrade? That's a bit high no? My system upgrade in my old car cost around $900, and that was for a new headunit, 4 speakers, 2 subs, an amp, and a box, all Kicker brand. And Crutchfield is good for researching speakers and such, but I'd never buy from them considering you can get the same exact equipment for less than half the price at places like ebay.

Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Again, thanks for the input. I guess it's all personal preference. Haven't had much luck with Kicker and prefer the sound of the BA speakers - a lot clearer at higher volumes. To each his own, I guess.

I don't want to replace my head unit since I'll end up losing all of my driver info. Plus, I never buy anything from ebay that's more than a few bucks. Again, all personal preference.

Enjoy your GTP
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 PM

I was browsing aftermarkets when I came across THIS, seems to be a good solution to those that don't want to lose their DIC
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Thats a slick setup...wish it was a lil less on the wallet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:10 AM

... so what does that allow? ... you to install an aftermarket radio but still keep the computer displaied items in the LCD window at the bottom?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 PM

In theory it sounds good but aren't the trouble codes and start up test run in sync with the DIC? If so, then this would probably not be soo good.....

What do you think....

SBM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in