Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Double Din Stereo

39K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Sharpie26 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed a Pioneer double din stereo in the G6?
My 6 disc changer just broke and i am looking into this.
I have heard that you need to buy the Metra 993303 and hook this up and then buy the double din bracket as well. Since the the Double Din takes up the whole space you will then need to hide the DIC unit somewhere.
Im not sure how much truth there is to any of this, so i was wondering if anyone has done the this?
Please Help

#2 ·
yha that's true you need the metra kit to retain all the different warning sounds and keep your info, mileage, oil life, ect... then the mount kit to hold the HU in place on the dash, so your thoughts on the subject are correct. if you havnt looked around much here's a mount kit for cheap
http://store.buyreliant.com/servlet/-strse-5533/scosche-installation-kit-bracket/Detail

and if you want info on the metra kit just search around you'll find plenty of info.

#4 ·
The metra kit that keeps your dic is very cheap looking, and it doesnt match the rest of the dash. Also the led is only one line and different from the stock h-u.

I preferably went without the metra kit, and just got the chimes add on.

If you buy through crutchfield.com , they will give you all the mounting hardware, attenae adapter, and wiring harness for free. And the chimes adapter or metra kit for half off.....

#17 · (Edited)
The metra kit that keeps your dic is very cheap looking, and it doesnt match the rest of the dash. Also the led is only one line and different from the stock h-u.
I don't know if this is the wrong picture for this part here, but apex electronics has the Metra part you guys are talking about, but with a double line of LED info displayed. Pretty expensive though, Check here: http://www.apex-electronics.com/Metra-993303-Malibu-G6-Cobalt-0405/M/B001OA6G3A.htm

Actually, I'm seeing that picture of that part in many places on google now that I'm looking for it. Some are a lot cheaper.

Attachments

#6 ·
#9 ·
The first thing I wanted to do was change out my head unit for a double din Kenwood DVD with nav, but the convertible chimes when the top is fully secure and stowed and the radio diplays warning about the rear cover where the top goes etc....

Anyways, The Monsoon system sounds incredible for stock so I did away with the idea of the TV in the dash and just wanted to integrate my iPod. The whole dash has that red look and nothing looks quite right in there other than the factory radio....

#12 ·
I'm not positive to be honest. I'm pretty sure you can still do it without the chimes adapter. But for safety purposes i would spend the extra $40 and get the chimes PAC adapter.

#16 ·
Depends on how good you are with installing. What you should do is take the the metra kit, which I have is 993303 and take the display cut it from that bracket neatly with a dremel and file away. Then take out your stereo blah blah blah and also buy the double din kit as well. So then you take the display that you cut and the harness on the back, cut it leaving you enough room on each side of the harness to solder them back together. Get some wire and extend the harness with extra wire. Run all this wire through to your center console to your radio. Then make a nice holder for it in your center console out of ABS plastic and heat to melt it so it forms nicely. Then you plug in the harness and hardwire your radio in. Simple as that. I would love to do this physically but I bought a single din just because I didn't have the money to buy the double din Eclipse Unit I wanted AVN-6620. Also I bought the kit with the Display from a 3rd party site and got it for $129 which is a steal compared to $199 from auto tech stores. Well good luck, anymore audio/video/lighting/mods questions Ill be glad to answer.
---
2005 White G6 GT Monsoon Leather Sunroof Heated Seats
5% Tint all around Chrome Grilles Tinted Tailights Tinted Headlights 21LED Reverse Light Kicker 1500.1 2Kicker 12" L7's 0gauge Kicker Multi Amp Kit 40 Farad Tsunami Capacitor Kenwood Excelon KDC-X9533U 300AmpAnl Fuse Custom Box Python 990 Alarm with window mods glass break sensor

#18 ·
#19 ·
That web link didn't work of your pictures, why don't you try uploading the picture to the text box? Also the link for the Metra part had no image posted on that website. I'd really like to see how you have your deck installed, so good luck getting the pics uploaded.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Sorry I don't think that the link will work. I need to figure out a way to load these because they are too big. They are 2mb. I might have to retake when I have time. WIll do soon. Promise. You may have to make a gmail account. If you already have one log into it and then click the link.

#22 ·
That link worked. It looks not bad. Do you still have all the same features on the DIC? Did you lose any options in the process? Were you able to find a steering wheel control connection to use with the aftermarket deck? I like the fur on the box, never seen that before. I bet the hair on it moves a lot with the bass.

#25 ·
Yea I had a whole car lined with that fur before. It was my shag mobile. lol Umm I haven't found one yet I am still in the process of looking for one. I don't have the money to really buy one yet because I am saving for the new halos made by oracle lighting that I shall be getting here within the next few weeks. I just got all new 6000k LED intererior and reverse & license plate bulbs which looks spectacular. But I will find out something about the steering wheel controls, cause yes, I do miss mine.

As far as the double din, I haven't installed one but I am sure that you have to still get the dash kit that has the MOD on it and jsut hide it away somewhere as I previously stated in one of my previous posts whg6ite.

#27 ·
double din

i wanted to buy a double din but i dont want to loose the controls from the factory stereo of my moonsoon syst, can i just hide the factory stereo under the dash or glove compartment to be able to install my double din, or is there a way to have it like a 1din with the lcd screen and the three buttons thanks

#29 ·
were can i get some kind of extension so i can put the fact stereo in the glove box

#30 ·
did you put your fact stereo in the glove box or center console how did you extended, plz help want to hide the original to install a dd din

#31 ·
I've got a little different scenario. My wife has a 2009.5 so her DIC is integrated in the dash below the speedo, not the center console where the radio is. I am looking at getting her a double-din stereo/Nav system for xmas.
Based on this, I don't believe I need to address the DIC but I would need the in-dash receiver kit, factor integration adapter (for onstar and door chime) and the steering wheel control interface.
Does this sound about right?

#32 ·
Double Din

Ok so there are like 3 different answers in this and I'm completely confused...
I have a 2006 G6 Coupe and a double din Pioneer.

Number one, if you have a double din headunit, how can you still keep the DIC? What do you need to buy? I've seen people say to buy the Metra 99-3303, but that's for a single din, so I guess that's what I don't understand. And I've seen others say that you also need another part for it.

Number two, what happens if you do away with the DIC completely? Does that mean if you open your door or the gas light comes on, your car won't chime?

Number three, is there a way to mount DIC somewhere in your car where it is visible? (i.e. To see "Miles to go, Trip, Oil Life")

Anyone who has any solutions, if you could reply with the list of parts needed, it'd be greatly appreciated. THANKS!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.