Lets get serious about MP3's... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Lets get serious about MP3's...

Ok everyone we all know about installing aftermarket decks, using an FM transmitter, etc... I have yet to see an effective solution to add an auxilary input to the back of the STOCK headunit to connect things like MP3 players.
I am awaiting the arrival of my G6 GT and I know most of us do not want to remove the factory headunit due to the DIC being integrated.

So this is a call to anyone who has seen the rear of the headunit and can suggest adding an aux input or somehow wiring up an input to the 200W amp on the monsoon soundsystem to amplify an MP3 player input.

I am really dissapointed GM did not include the AUX input on the G6 like it does on the new Impala/Monte/HHR/Solstice etc... CD's are now dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 PM

I know it is expensive but they do sell a dash kit for an aftermarket radio that puts a new screen in to replace the DIC that has three buttons and all DIC funtions built in. As far as the aux input goes I am not sure but I will look around for a way to do that.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

That seems like it would do the trick. However I don;t have my car yet. I am getting the GT with the Monsoon sound system minus the 6 disc changer. I do not know what inputs are in the back of the factory head unit.
The Cd changer option is different in the G6 than previous GM's in that it is an (IN DASH) 6 disc changer so its full integrated in the head unit and does not require an aux connection to the back.

In terms of XM I don;t know if the factory headunit for the GT is capable of controling XM etc...

Has anyone taken a look at the rear of the headunit for the G6? Maybe some of you guys who have removed the factory deck?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Smile

One more thing. I am currently trying to find a wiring diagram for the Monsoon amp located in the trunk for the G6.

Just from my knowledge of AMPS alone.... I am pretty confident that we can hardwire almost any device into this amp, but I am having a hard time finding the wiring diagrams for it. If I can get those wiring diagrams I could try some things.

If it works you can just run the wire from the trunk to somewhere up front in the cabin.

If anyone knows anything about this Monsoon amp let it be known.... We can figure this one out guys I know it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 AM

your best bet is just getting an aftermarket headunit and the 99-3303 kit from metra.. the stock radio is shitty.. even with the monsoon.. it can't beat the clarity of an aftermarket.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anth_97
In terms of XM I don;t know if the factory headunit for the GT is capable of controling XM etc...
Sure it is. I just got my 06 GT coupe with factory XM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunkele
your best bet is just getting an aftermarket headunit and the 99-3303 kit from metra.. the stock radio is shitty.. even with the monsoon.. it can't beat the clarity of an aftermarket.
I know from personal experience aftermarket DOES have awesome clarity to it. But on the same note, my aftermarket system I had in my Vibe was nothing but problems. The speakers would cut in and out as if there was a bad connection, I could never get my bluetooth kit to integrate with the radio nicely...it was just more hassle then it was worth. Then there's the worry that your a/m radio is asking to be stolen...

I certainly won't be swapping out the factory system for an aftermarket one...but nothing's to say I won't eventually change out the amp and speakers...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok so the GT can do XM. That is good to know but if I ordered the GT without XM will it still have the XM input in the back of the headunit?

Also, thanks for the suggestion but I heard the monsoon and it sounds excellent enough for me. I used to have a $1500 sound system in my Monte Carlo so I know what a really awesome stereo sounds like but I am not looking to break any records here. Also I like the look of the dash with the factory headunit. GM finally comes out with a headunit that fits well into the dash. I really wanna avoid breaking the lines by ripping it out and placing in an aftermarket headunit thats half the size and has 1/8 inch buttons that I need to fumble around to select one.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anth_97
Ok so the GT can do XM. That is good to know but if I ordered the GT without XM will it still have the XM input in the back of the headunit?
AFAIK, there are only two different possible stereo units installed in G6's at the factory: 1 disc and 6 disc. Every installed radio is XM-ready. The presence of the antenna/tuner combo are what make the feature active or disabled on the individual head unit.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 PM

^ correct, the XM just plugs in another harness to either of the headunits. There are no aux inputs on the radio.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
AFAIK, there are only two different possible stereo units installed in G6's at the factory: 1 disc and 6 disc. Every installed radio is XM-ready. The presence of the antenna/tuner combo are what make the feature active or disabled on the individual head unit.
Actually there are 3 different stereos. There are 2 versions of the 1 disc. The base radio is standard on the non GT/GTP models. It only has a single line display and isn't compatible with XM or OnStar (I think its option code is U1C)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Actually there are 3 different stereos. There are 2 versions of the 1 disc. The base radio is standard on the non GT/GTP models. It only has a single line display and isn't compatible with XM or OnStar (I think its option code is U1C)
I do believe you're correct!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smockonallama
I know it is expensive but they do sell a dash kit for an aftermarket radio that puts a new screen in to replace the DIC that has three buttons and all DIC funtions built in.
Does anyone know where to get the replacement screen for the DIC? I want to replace the headunit with an aftermarket, but there's no way I'm going to lose the DIC. I've been searching the net like crazy to find anything like the one described above, but I haven't been successful.

Help would be great, thanks G6ians.

Last edited by lrish; 10-26-2005 at 04:50 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I found what I am looking for on another forum for G6's...

Monsoon AMP wiring color codes...

onnector Part Information 15357040
8-Way F Metri-Pack 280 Series (L-GY)

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
A L-GN 200 Right Front Speaker Output (+)
B D-GN 117 Right Front Speaker Output (-)
C GY 118 Left Front Speaker Output (-)
D TN 201 Left Front Speaker Output (+)
E RD/WH 1840 Battery Positive Voltage
F BK 1250 Ground
G D-BU/WH 346 Left Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (+)
H L-GN/BK 1794 Left Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (-)

Connector Part Information 12110088
24-Way F Micro-Pack 100 Series (GY)

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
A1-A2 -- -- Not Used
A3 PK 5165 Amp Enable (12V)
A4 BN/WH 599 Left Rear Low Level Audio Signal (+)
A5 BN 1999 Left Rear Low Level Audio Signal (-)
A6 D-GN 1947 Left Front Low Level Audio Signal (-)
A7 TN 511 Left Front Low Level Audio Signal (+)
A8 OG 5748 Amplifier Mute
A9 D-BU 46 Mid-Range Right Rear Speaker Output (+)
A10 L-BU 115 Mid-Range Right Rear Speaker Output (-)
A11 BN 199 Mid-Range Left Rear Speaker Output (+)
A12 YE 116 Mid-Range Left Rear Speaker Output (-)
B1 L-GN/BK 1794 Right Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (-)
B2 D-BU/WH 346 Right Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (+)
B3 -- -- Not Used
B4 TN 1946 Right Rear Low Level Audio Signal (-)
B5 D-BU 546 Right Rear Low Level Audio Signal (+)
B6 D-GN 512 Right Front Low Level Audio Signal (+)
B7 L-GN/BK 1948 Right Front Low Level Audio Signal (-)
B8 -- -- Not Used
B9 TN 1856 Left Front Tweeter Speaker Output (+)
B10 YE 1956 Left Front Tweeter Speaker Output (-)
B11 L-GN 1852 Right Front Tweeter Speaker Output (+)
B12 PU 1952 Right Front Tweeter Speaker Output (-)

Okay here is my theory. The Head unit for the G6 provides a low level signal to the amp via the Low level audio inputs. So technically you can splice a wire connecting from you MP3 player into these Low level amp inputs, therby having the signal from the MP3 amped. however the only problme I see is that u can't have two inputs playing at the same time in the amp or else it will sound like two things are playing at once. I need to figure our how to make sure the headunit is not playing anything when the MP3 player is on. Any Ideas?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:35 PM

I think you might run into more problems than that

Here are some:

Compatibility of the output of MP3 player and the input of Amp (voltage levels, current draw)

MP3 likely only has 2 channels output while the Amp has 4 input channels.

MP3 would also be backfeeding the inactive output of the radio. The MP3 player or radio might not like that.

Also the radio actually turns the amp on (enable) when it wants to play so you would have to simulate that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in