amp blowing fuses - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

amp blowing fuses

alright, so i wasn't going to put a system in my car, but i got one for free and it seemed really easy from what i read here so i figured why not. so i hooked it all up, power to battery with inline fuse, good ground, remote wire tapped into the green wire in the harness that runs along the driver's floor, and a line out converter for the RCA's. I tested all connections and was good. i hooked up the amp and went to put the fuses in the amp and they kept blowing as i put them in. i checked the voltage at the terminals on the amp and have constant 12 at power and ground,...and for some reason constant 12 at the remote wire even though i tested it earlier and only powered up when key in acc. so i unhooked the remote wire and tried putting a fuse in-blew! i'm wondering if there was a problem with the remote lead, if i unhooked it should the fuses still blow? does the amp try to be constantly powered with no remote wire and that's why the'yre still blowing with it unhooked? thanks. hope it makes sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
you are always going to have constant power from the battery + terminal. The remote wire tells the amp to turn on. but dont know what problem could be.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Cool

have you trying to hook amp up in another car? or is the protect light on? i have after market head unit so i'm not familar with how you hooked up remote. what i would do it put a switch in. have remote wire coming off you power wire and run that piece to a switch, then run the rest of the remote wire to the amp off the switch. This should let you put the fuses in without blowing them then you can flip the switch and see what happens. it'll let you turn off the system whenever you want as well.. aka when you see cops haha. if you dont wanna do that or it doesnt work try to put the amp in a buddies car whos got a good hook up and see what it does. hope it helps. o yeah and if you do put the switch in you have to flip the switch off when you turn the car off or the amp will stay powered on and kill your battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Supreme Overlord

Send a message via Yahoo to Weaselbeak
Usually it's something easy when your blowing fuses like that. First thing is to double check that all your wires are in the right spot and you haven't tried to put the remote in the gnd or vice versa. Some amps just have the screw down type terminals side by side so it's really easy for your power wire or ground to have a strand wander to the other terminal while you're tightening them down.

Basically if you're blowing fuses with the remote wire unhooked you can be sure it's not that wire causing your problem. You're getting power and ground mixed somewhere in the amp. I'd say your power wire is problem not grounding out or your inline fuse would blow.

Are you sure you're using the correct wattage of fuse in the amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in