replace 05 radio with 08 radio? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

replace 05 radio with 08 radio?

I am getting a CD Changer Error message - it seems like its trying to change CDs, but wont. I tried taking the fuse out, disconnecting the battery, etc and nothing works. I found a cheap 08 radio with an AUX input that I am seriously considering buying to replace my Monsoon 6 disc changer. I have a couple of questions though:

- will the 08 be compatible with my 05 car?
- will all of my displays still work on the radio?
- does it need to be another Monsoon system?
- is it easy to replace this myself? I do understand that I will have to bring it to the dealership to have it programmed.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Yup, just had this done on my 07. Bought an 08 HU off Ebay, installed the head unit and it locked out. Took it to the dealer and $60 bucks + 5 minutes later it was done.

You get an aux port and if your lucky an XM hook up like I did for a future endeavor.

-Radio will work
-Retains all your MPG/Oil Life etc information. I did not lose any of my DIC data.
-DIC will work like normal, you get extra feature in the radio as well(text display etc).
-Replacement took me an hour, only because I am very cautious. If you search the forum there is a How-To on removing the stock radio, it was very helpful.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

thanks! now do i have to find another Monsoon stock radio, or will any stock radio do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 PM

I read that most of the 08+ are monsoon but i'd wait for someone else to chime in. I do know they will fit either way, I honestly didn't bother to see the difference because the Aux port was number one, but the XM and other options are bonus for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in