Bluetooth Missing - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Smile Bluetooth Missing

I just bought a 2010 G6 GT with the upgraded stereo with USB. It was a Hertz program car for the first 6,000 miles. It looks like this model would normally have Bluetooth but the salesman told me most of the program cars he has seen couldn't summon the pairing setup for Bluetooth. Has anyone else encountered this and found a way to activate it. I was able to activate OnStar. Think I will skip XM since it has a USB for my iPod.

It also has the Flex Fuel V6. I won't be using E85 but I was wondering if there were any downsides to having this engine version.

BTW, this is my first post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Gee, nice forum. Zero responses.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to markpetersonii Send a message via MSN to markpetersonii
Well, gee maybe no one knows?

I have no idea about the Blue tooth, mine doesn't have it.

The E-85 engine on the other hand, nothing wrong with it. No downsides that I'm aware of.

2003 Mercedes Benz E500 Sport - 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflow View Post
Gee, nice forum. Zero responses.
Yeah, that's one of the nice things about this forum. If someone doesn't know an answer, usually they will stay quiet and not pollute the thread with a bunch of "duh, I dunno!" answers.

You have the new version of the stereo that was only available in the 2009.5 (2010) model. Very, very few people here have a G6 that new. In fact, you have basically an orphan car as your aftermarket availability and interchangeability of parts with other models will be very limited. I'm sure that many here wish they had Bluetooth (I sure do) but our lame-ass radios don't.

As for the E85 engine, it's actually the same as the non-E85 engine with two parts changed to support Flex Fuel. It is actually a slightly more expensive engine, and of course if you can find it you can burn the cheaper fuel.

Welcome to the forums!

~ MattInSoCal
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Ok, so here is what I know.......like you, I recently bought a 2010 G6 1SH. For the price it's loaded. The only thing it's missing is the Bluetooth. I even stumbled on this forum through your post in my search for information on this subject. There is virtually no information about the 2010's. Most Bluetooth questions come from the pre 2009.5-ers that do not have the capability to use BT (in mid 2009, BT capability was included automatically).

What I found out was that the Fleet/rental cars (which most of these are) where made to order based on cost and the UFP option code (Bluetooth) was not ordered by most companies. Although our cars and radios are new (USB etc.) and BT capable they do not have the Onstar WITH Bluetooth module. Most companies did get the Onstar because these cars are inevitably resold to the public (at least that's what I've read).

Apparently, you can replace the Onstar VCIM with an Onstar/Bluetooth VCIM but GM will not do it for you unless it's a warranty or defect replacement. The OS/BT Module is part #20783877 and the BT Antenna is #15938939.

If you have any luck finding and adding these modules let me know!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Serfsax. I read something about the BT antenna elsewhere. Did you try a GM dealership to locate the parts? This would probably be the most expensive way to find them. I think I read that salvage yards were a limited source but that most wouldn't inventory these parts. Besides, since they're pretty new, they would be hard to find. I'll post back here if I find something.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Kinda pricey for the OS/BT module on ebay. Says its for a GMSierra. Saw the antenna by your part no. for $20.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 AM

I actually have a friend that runs the parts department at a GM dealer. I had talked to him early in my search. At that time he couldn't find anyway of helping. He did however tell me that his particular dealership had a vendor that put Bluetooth in the cars that wanted them. I'll give him a call Monday and explore this more.

When I started this search I figured it was just a reset or software flash needed. Then I figured it was just a plug in module. It's hard to believe that they would make more than one Onstar VCIM simply to exclude a relatively cheap but technically relevant feature. It seems that far more people would rather have Bluetooth than Onstar.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 PM

I have a 2009 g6 gxp that was previously a hertz rental. Mine has bluetooth in it, plus onstar and xm. The green light still lights up on my rearview mirror, does that mean the onstar subscription is still in affect?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Where is the bluetooth module on G6?

I just bought a 2010 G6 that doesn't have the bluetooth support as well. It was a fleet vehicle. Where is the box located in the car so I can check the part number?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:28 PM

I am wondering about the green light too. My 09 gxp was previously a rental as well and the little light is still lit up.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Can you elaborate on what you paid for and what they did? My 2010 G6 doesn't recognize the 'bluetooth' command to program it, so I'm assuming it doesn't have the support.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM

I can't speak to the other part numbers posted in this thread. After some research I purchased a 20833261 part number from http://www.allworldautomotive.com for $175 and another $20 for a Bluetooth antenna for my 2010 G6 earlier this week.
They also have some on Ebay.
The old one that didn't have bluetooth that was removed was part number 20833262. The unit is behind the glovebox on the right hand side. Here is a link to another forum showing how to remove the glovebox.

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...hp?f=29&t=5991

There are 3 bolts holding it in place. The biggest problem was getting the 3rd bolt at the end of the unit unscrewed. Its rather tight to get a socket wrench in there.

I now have Bluetooth capability and I'm quite impressed. The onstar light is red at this point, but I don't really care. I may call them to inquire about it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
gjl

Did you have to have the new module programmed in order for it to work, or was it simply a drop in replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in