OnStar, Wheel Controls and Aftermarket Stereo? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

OnStar, Wheel Controls and Aftermarket Stereo?

I have a 2009 G6GT with the Blacktie stereo (the new standard stereo for most GM cars since 2006)

Anyway, I have OnStar (probably going to keep it) and the steering wheel controls. I'm thinking about replacing the system with touch screen stereo like a few of you guys have. My concern is that if I change the stereo I'll lose functionality with the controls and OnStar.

Has anyone else done this or can confirm or ease my worries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

if your willing to pay the extra money both features can be fully functional. I know i do most of my purchases through crutchfield.com so you can see if they carry the head unit you are looking for and then i believe you can get both the steering wheel controls and the onstar hookups, all you would need to do is wire them.

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and the site ref.
I looked up the one you have (very nice) but i'm looking for a stationary one, like the stock GM touch screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

thanks and your welcome.

but basically regardless of the head unit, its all about the wires, im not positive but i think you can do it with all head units. its just a matter of getting the wires and hooking it up, for mine i didnt want to spend the money because i dont have onstar anymore and never used the steering wheel controls, so i didnt get either one.

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in