Replacing rear 6x9's with 12 inch Subs. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Replacing rear 6x9's with 12 inch Subs.

I just had this idea, and I don't know much about speakers or wiring, but I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the 2 6x9's behind the rear head rests, and put 2 12 inch subs in their place. Obviously the 12's are a lot bigger so I would have to accomodate for that somehow. I have 2 12 inch Alpine Type R's and an Alpine v-power amp, which i would probably mount to the back of the back seat, in the trunk. I have an 05 G6 GT with the monsoon system. The purpose of this would be to remove my blown 6x9's, get way more bass with the 12's but not sacrifice my trunk space by putting the huge box in the trunk. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 PM
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe

I have worked in car audio and security for about 15 years and what you want to do will NOT work. The reason you put subs in a box is to load and tune the woffer. There is a free air sub that will work BUT your stock 6x9s will sound better.Also with removing 6x9s and only subs you will lose all your rear mids and highs and that really sounds bad.You would be better off to invest in a good mid range or highend set of 6x9s or a 6.5 component set!!!!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe

P.S. the alpine type R's are not free air and you can go to alpine web page to see the required air space they need to load and tune them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:06 PM

they do make 6x9 subs Tang Band W69-1436 also i think i saw in a book they made some 8" box to fit in an 6x9 hole

05 G6

ipad mini install

Gametag psn=getonerd 360=geronerd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in