G6 coupe is actually a 10 speaker Monsoon system, not 8 - Pontiac G6 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
 
G6 coupe is actually a 10 speaker Monsoon system, not 8

The sedan's monsoon system has two speakers in each door, a 6x9 subwoofer in the rear on both sidea, and a smaller midrange mounted over the 6x9 sub, for a total of 8 speakers receiving individual signals from the amp (the rear 6x9 combo looks like a coaxial, but both speakers are independently amp'd).

The Coupe however has 3 speaker in each door, but the same rear combo speaker setup in the rear, for a total of 10 speakers.

Just FYI.
miscreant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:27 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 488
 
Well, technically speaking yes. But there are really only 8 physical speakers in the coupe.

Mike
GTPGuy82 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 423
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscreant
The sedan's monsoon system has two speakers in each door, a 6x9 subwoofer in the rear on both sidea, and a smaller midrange mounted over the 6x9 sub, for a total of 8 speakers receiving individual signals from the amp (the rear 6x9 combo looks like a coaxial, but both speakers are independently amp'd).

The Coupe however has 3 speaker in each door, but the same rear combo speaker setup in the rear, for a total of 10 speakers.

Just FYI.
ok, maybe my 3rd grade edgamakation is failing me, but if a 'sedan' has two speakers in each door, and everybody knows 'sedans' have FOUR doors, does that not total EIGHT just in the doors? (2 x 4 = 8?) add to that the 2 6x9's and the 2 'midrange' and that totals TWELVE!!! (8 + 2 + 2 = 12?) this is based, of course, on the facts you presented as i have not investigated this myself.

just off the top of my head i am counting only 8 in the sedan like this; 2 speakers in each of the FRONT DOORS (4), 1 in each of the REAR DOORS (2) and the 2 6x9's on the package shelf behind the rear seat (2) for a total of EIGHT (4 + 2 + 2 = 8) my guess, and mind you its only a guess as i have not even sat in a coupe yet, but it would be the same layout except since there are no rear doors you would have 1 speaker mounted inside each quarter panel trim in which case it would still total eight.

i'm sure if GM could have advertised it as a "10 Speaker Monsoon" legally, they would have done so.
G6Action is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
 
Okay, I misread the schematics here on the sedan and have not seen the sedan rear, so the second speaker I said was over the 6x9 is actually in the rear doors. I was meaning the front doors above.

Mid and tweeter in the front doors, mids in the rear doors, and 6x9s in the rear shelf = 8

But the coupe still does indeed, technically have 10. The fact that the small speaker if positioned over the 6x9 does not mean it's not it's own speaker - you could remove it and the system would function properly, as it has it's own feed from the amp and is not permanently attached to the 6x9 subwoofer. Alot of aftermarket components have the option of mounting the tweeter in the center of the midrange for mounting purposes, but it still receives it's own signal. You can take a look, in your trunk you'll see 4 wires, not two, going into each 6x9, one set goes to the 6x9 woofer, the other to the midrange mounted over it.

As for why, I don't know. Pontiac counts the same exact setup as two speakers in the Grand Prix (it too has 6x9 woofers and midranges mounted over top just like the G6 coupe).

If you look at prelim interior designs of the coupe, there were only two speakers in each door, and it was still quoted as an 8 speaker monsoon system. Then they added the third speaker in the door, but it's still 8 speakers?

Last edited by miscreant; 11-16-2005 at 06:03 PM.
miscreant is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:58 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 557
 
You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Sedan has 6 physical speakers- 2 in each front door, and the two DUAL COIL 6x9's in the rear. There are no speakers in the rear doors, nor can you separate the coils in either of the rear speakers. There are 4 wires running to each rear speaker in the rear, 2 feed the midrange coil, the other 2 feed the "subwoofer" there is no real subwoofer included with the monsoon system. The coupe is exactly the same but with 2 extra speakers upfront, total of 8.
bigbengt67 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 279
 
Actually I am pretty sure the coupe only has 2 in each front door as well. The speaker housing in front door has "provisions" for 2 speakers but only 1 is used. Tweeter in sharkfin patch is the 2nd speaker in each front door - just like the sedan.

The housing is there because speaker arrangement is different on convertible since there aren't any rear shelf speakers on that model.
e2helper is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 488
 
The coupe has 3 in each front door:



Mike
GTPGuy82 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Sedan has 6 physical speakers- 2 in each front door, and the two DUAL COIL 6x9's in the rear. There are no speakers in the rear doors, nor can you separate the coils in either of the rear speakers. There are 4 wires running to each rear speaker in the rear, 2 feed the midrange coil, the other 2 feed the "subwoofer" there is no real subwoofer included with the monsoon system. The coupe is exactly the same but with 2 extra speakers upfront, total of 8.
I admitted I have not seen a sedan. I figured the above person would know if there was a speaker in the rear doors.

However, everything I said is correct.

Pontiac advertises the Sedan monsoon system as 8 speakers - two in each of the front doors, and two in the rear deck - again, the midrange is situated ABOVE the subwoofer and is fed a high-pass freq and it's own power from the amp. And it IS a subwoofer below, it is fed only low-pass frequencies. The shape and size does not determine a subwoofer or not, but rather the frequencies it's fed.

However, the coupe utilizes the SAME rear speaker setup (midrange over subwoofer), but yet has THREE speakers in the front doors. The coupe has two more speakers than the sedan's "8 speaker monsoon system".

The correct verbage is "10 speakers in 8 locations". For the sedan, it would be "8 speakers in 6 locations".

Now since it receives a dedicated channel from the amplifying source, the midrange over the sub is called a "speaker". If the midrange was in series or parallel off the same channel that the sub was using, it would be called a "driver".

For instance, if I built a tower speaker system, with one input (positive and negative on it), but had a subwoofer, a midrange, and a tweeter in it, all wired in series, that whole assembly would be "a" speaker, with three drivers.

However, if on the back of the tower I had three inputs, one going to each (the sub, the mid, and the tweeter) and they were all powered by separate channels from an amp, it would be a "three" speaker system.

The same is true of the rear deck monsoon speakers. The midrange is simply mounted over the 6x9 sub in a plastic cage. Rather than locate the speaker in but another location, they mount it over the sub, since the sub is producing only low freqs which are basically non-directional, so the midrange mounted over it does not effect the speakers imaging. You could simply remove that speaker from that plastic cage and mount it in another location - it's not dependent on signal of the subwoofer - therefore it's another speaker. If the mid was physically/permanently connected to the sub, on could argue that it was a coaxial speaker, but it's not.

Now I have not yanked the door panel. So there could be, in some twisted fashion, no speaker behind that middle-sized speaker grille on the coupes doors, but it sure sounds like sound is coming from there, and the schematics list 10 distinct channels coming from the amp.

Last edited by miscreant; 11-16-2005 at 11:04 PM.
miscreant is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:03 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 279
 
Yes I know what the speaker grills look like but that is because the same grill and speaker housing is used on the coupe and convertible. You will find on the coupe that the middle grill doesn't have a speaker behind it.
e2helper is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Yes I know what the speaker grills look like but that is because the same grill and speaker housing is used on the coupe and convertible. You will find on the coupe that the middle grill doesn't have a speaker behind it.
Have you actually pulled a coupe's door panel? The GM schem's show three speakers up front, called "LF Tweeter, LF midrange, LF woofer". The prelims I've seen of the convertible is simply that the rear deck speakers are located in the rear side panels.
miscreant is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 279
 
I watched them being built and am very familiar with wiring of vehicle. I double-checked my info by looking at drawings of the speaker assembly before posting on this subject as well.

You are correct that the convertible has rear speakers in the rear seat side panels but those are only mid-range speakers. The sub-woofers are in the front doors taking over the lower grill while the mid-range is using the smaller middle-grill.

I am curious what GM schematic are you looking at? Is it the actual GM Service Manual or something else?
e2helper is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
I watched them being built and am very familiar with wiring of vehicle. I double-checked my info by looking at drawings of the speaker assembly before posting on this subject as well.

You are correct that the convertible has rear speakers in the rear seat side panels but those are only mid-range speakers. The sub-woofers are in the front doors taking over the lower grill while the mid-range is using the smaller middle-grill.

I am curious what GM schematic are you looking at? Is it the actual GM Service Manual or something else?
Okay, so I'll obviously need to pull the panel for my own sanity, but I believe what you say.

The schematic is from Helm. It was copied for me. It could certainly be for the coupe AND covertible I suppose, which is why it would list the additional speaker location. It may not be thorough, and does not list that speaker location as "convertible only".
miscreant is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 153
 
don't go through all the work to pull the panel.. turn it up and put ur ear next to it.. haha.. no sound?.. no speaker.. crazyyyy
thunkele is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunkele
don't go through all the work to pull the panel.. turn it up and put ur ear next to it.. haha.. no sound?.. no speaker.. crazyyyy
I'm pulling the panel anyway.

But I've tried that. With the tweeter above, and the woofer below, it's impossible to tell if there's a speaker there just buy listnening, cause it sounds like there is.
miscreant is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 423
 
i admit to NOTHING, as i included the disclaimer that i was working with the original info posted as to how many speakers and where.....i have actually never been in the back seat of my Sedan. i was merely taking this persons word that there were speakers in teh rear doors. had there been, i would have been correct.

however, since i was 'mis-informed', i was statemenet was incorrect and i therefore issue an appology for my reply and actions. i will, in no way, post another reply without checking the sources 'facts' first.

by the way, i AM a parts man and have never made a mistake in my life......YEA, RIGHT!!! none, of course, that i would admit to!!
G6Action is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome