Replacing factory stereo to newer model for AUX input - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Replacing factory stereo to newer model for AUX input

I know this is an old topic but going through a few threads i have yet to find an answer. I have the basic stock stereo system with my 2007 G6 V6 and I'm about to buy a 2008 stereo head unit so I have an auxiliary input. I know about the dealer charge for VIN number and I have read about most of the adapters and they wont work on my base model. So what i'm looking for is if ANYONE has actually installed an 08 or 09 stereo head unit in their 07 or older G6 successfully?

Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Sure.....I did it. Want to read the thread about it??

From 3 years ago: Clicky Here

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession

Last edited by Lampoon; 07-10-2010 at 11:50 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
kyle

where did you find the 08 factory stereo? ive been looking to replace my 07 factory stereo for the same reason. how much did you pay for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 AM

That link I posted has all that info. Cheapest place right now is eBay....
Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...fAudioQ5fVideo

MODS:

My Progession
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

I just bought my replacement 08 stereo from ebay. The power/volume button was a little worn but the rest of the stereo looked great and the worn part made it cheaper so mine came to 99 with shipping.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Good find as those particular buttons are easily replaced.
$9- $11 at your dealership parts counter.
The knobs just pull straight off.

MODS:

My Progession
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Your the man Lampoon! good call thanks.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Dealer prices

I just got done talking with 3 dealers, two in one city and another in a different city. They are charging between 50-75 dollars to program the new radio for my G6. Is that what you guys have been paying or should i either try to negotiate the price with the dealership or find a repair shop that (if possible) has the computer needed to program the radio to my car's VIN?

Thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Sure.....I did it. Want to read the thread about it??

From 3 years ago: Clicky Here
Since this link is not working for me, I thought I'd let all know - yes you can put a OEM head unit from a '09 G6 into a '06.

My original unit is P/N 15777349. It is a 6-CD changer with the P-TYPE, MSG, CLOCK, EJECT on the right and INFO,MENU, ENTER, LOAD on the left. Bottom has RPT, SONG LIST, and RDM.

I bought a P/N 25890720 from LKQ thru Ebay. They did not claim this radio would work in anything other than the '09 it was removed from, but I saw other eBay sales that claimed this part would work so I took a chance.

This radio is a virtually identical 6 CD changer, but it has the front AUX jack.

As soon as I connected it, the messages (Oil Life and so on) worked.

$80 at the dealer got it unlocked and now everything works...including the aux input.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM

You could install an aux adapter using FM direct transmitter. Simple in these cars. Made by iSimple. There is an antenna junction in the driver side behind the tray that pops out and the accessory wire is in the BCM located in the center dash fuse. 3-10mm bolts pull that out and flip it over and there is two-brown wires going into pin A-35 I "think" but you'll see it if you ever wanted to. and you install the acc, grnd, and plug in the antenna and 30min later you have an aux jack. Go to 87.9, hardwired in, and works like a charm... Just sayin if you didn't feel like dealing with a dif radio.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

09 into an 06 for the aux input

I installed an 09 head unit into my 06 with no problems. I found a site, sorry not sure which one, that sold the new head units and automatically coded to my car. When I turned on the ignition the head unit would calibrate to my car. This went on for about 3 weeks then is stopped. The unit is now calibrated to my car and the everything works great.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

I just did a swap of a 08 1cd with aux into a 06 that originally had the 6cd monsoon. Used the instructions on either this site or G6performance.com to get at the radio. Bought a used one on eBay from some vendor in GA. Cost of the radio was $68.25 with free shipping and the dealer charge was $55. Just have to be sure that you explain to the dealer what you are doing and not just have them unlock the radio. They literally have to reprogram the radio to include all options for your existing radio. Cheaper than the other site with the already programmed radios.

Thanks for all your help with that Lampoon. Stupid techs just programmed it wrong.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM

New 2007 G6 owner here and new member here as well.

I know this is old, but i just wanted to add my $.02. I was wanting to do the same thing, swap my base model factory unit with the fancy unit with the AUX input. I went to my local junk yard to see what i could find, first car I checked had the radio I was looking for, and in pretty good condition too. I got the radio for $33, so now off to my local dealer to have it unlocked.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM

I've successfully installed and re-VIN'd a head unit from a 2008 G6 into my 2007 G6.

My Question: The FM radio volume far exceeds the volume I get from the AUX (with my iPhone on full volume). What have I done wrong in the process? While it is listenable, it seems too quiet to be "right" -- I doubt they 2008 would have such a difference between the total output volume of an Aux input and the radio.

Can anyone offer thoughts on this?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 05:49 PM
2007 gt retractable

on my android phone i have to click on a disclaimer on the screen before it will allow full volume to the headphone jack.could that be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in