How to modify cig-lighter to turn off with car? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

How to modify cig-lighter to turn off with car?

I searched the forums and found the How To on modifying an extension adapter and installing a gps adapter into it, but not really what I want.

Is there any way to modify at least 1 of the two cig-lighter ports in the center console to turn off with the vehicle? It would be less involved than another wire I would think?

2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L VVT
+Weathertech Ventvisors
+Hankoook Ventus V4 ES
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30

Last edited by saberz; 07-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

bump?

2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L VVT
+Weathertech Ventvisors
+Hankoook Ventus V4 ES
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
to get one of the 12 Volt ports to turn off with the ignition you'd have to rewire it at the fuse panel and I'm pretty sure that is not going to be a very easy thing to do.

The only thing I would consider is maybe putting a switch in the line that goes to the port and just switching it off when you don't want it on.

If I was going to go to the trouble of adding something to the wiring harness I'd just go to Autozone or some store and buy a 12V outlet, They sell them with just bare wires coming out. You could add this to your wiring harness as easily as rewiring the ones that are already there.

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the response Gambit! Good second suggestion and gives me an another alternative!

2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L VVT
+Weathertech Ventvisors
+Hankoook Ventus V4 ES
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Professional geek

To power my GPS I added a power outlet connected to one of the Retained Accessory Power outputs. There is a fuse inline with the connection just in case, in addition to the one that is part of the now-retired Motorola phone charger that I am using as a voltage converter for the GPS.

You could fairly easily convert one of your in-dash outlets if you still want by adding a relay. Cut the power wire to the outlet and connect the cut ends to the relay switch contacts. Connect one side of the coil to ground, and the other to an Accessory or RAP power connection. You could also connect it directly to the ACC or RAP wire, but if the circuit you connect to won't handle the current in case you or someone else plugs in a high-power device, it could cause you lots of grief.

~ MattInSoCal
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Lead Foot

All you need to do is find a 10Amp or higher relay and trigger it with power source that turns on with the ignition.

The Auto: Graphite G6 Sedan
Engine: 3.5L V6
Mods: Red Caliper Paint, Window Tint (more to come, but on a college kid's budget)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thing is I am not to privy on electrical, I know relay's, and fuse amps etc. Not to sure about jerry rigging(if I had a how to I can do it though :P). More mechanically inclined.

2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L VVT
+Weathertech Ventvisors
+Hankoook Ventus V4 ES
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum. I just bought my 05 GTP Convertible yesterday and so far I love it.

Anyway, I can't believe this topic isn't more of an issue, as this is the only post I've seen on the topic. This is unbelievable to me, that Pontiac wouldn't already have some type of feature built in to turn the outlets off. Every car I've owned for the past 10 years has had this.

I guess I am accustomed to leaving bluetooth receivers and chargers plugged in. This will be a change for sure.

So that is what others have done added a relay to the power going into the outlet? What power source do you use to trigger the relay? The one coming from the ignition, or perhaps the powered antenna from the stereo?

Thanks all
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM

correction... 06 GTP Convertible ^
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM

So I reread the thread and keyed in on MattinSoCal's post regarding the Retained Accessory Power source. I did a little googling and found a couple posts that describe this also.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Car-Stere...-pontiac-1.htm
http://kzcarfi.blogspot.com/2008/08/...e-in-2005.html

I think this is what I'm looking for. So here's a question or two for you. Is this worth it? Will my battery die if I leave a fm transmitter or a bluetooth adapter plugged in all the time? If so, how long? A day? A week? A month?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by torridpsu View Post
I think this is what I'm looking for. So here's a question or two for you. Is this worth it? Will my battery die if I leave a fm transmitter or a bluetooth adapter plugged in all the time? If so, how long? A day? A week? A month?
Whether or not it is worth it is up to you. It is a fairly easy conversion, whether you use a relay or take the power directly from the RAP connection.

Bluetooth or FM transmitters are not going to have a significant impact on how quickly the battery runs down. Other parts of your car constantly have power - the ECM, the stereo, the BCM, the keyless remote receiver, and so on. Left alone for a month, your car battery would probably go flat just from the drain of these parts - so again, leaving one powered all the time won't have a big impact.

I tied my GPS unit into the RAP supply when I had the dash torn apart for other reasons, but prior to doing that I just left it on all the time, no problems. If you have a similar accessory that will always stay in the car, you might want to hide it behind the BCM access panel - especially if you have a bluetooth receiver/FM transmitter combo.

~ MattInSoCal
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 PM

@MattInSoCal, thanks so much for the reply. I may just plug everything in then and see how everything goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in