Amp Problems... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Amp Problems...

Hello all I'm a new member but have been lurking around for a good while (few weeks.) I must say I do like it here but here is my question. I bought some subs and a new amp the other day. I already had a amp running my door speakers hooked up by a store a while ago (don't remember store). After looking at it it didn't seem hard to do so I gave it a shot. I bought a 2 amp wiring kit from walmart to use. I hooked it up and checked the wires and they are all giving power to the amps but the amps light wont turn on. At first I thought maybe one of the amps blew or a fuse was out. After checking all the fuses none appeared to be blown. I figured the amp must be blown so I bought another one to run my subs with for $40. Almost same wattage as other one. I took both of the old amps out and hooked this one straight to the stores wiring. Still, power light didn't come on. I am completely stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
did you check remote wire? If you test the + with the - and get 12v your good. If you test - with remote wire and get 12v your good = should work if amp is not blown
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

yeah except it was about 10.5v ish to the remote. and I dont understand why it doesn't work either with 4 different amps....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM
GTP 06

not sure why your getting 10.5v maybe if you have a weak battery and the car isn't running, the amps may have a low voltage cut off to save battery life. You can try jumping a wire from the battery lead to the remote screw and see if they turn on.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Battery is pretty new. Got it about 3-4 months ago.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Garage
yeah try running power from your batt to both the power and remote on the amp to see if thats the prob...make sure your ground is real good too it has to be a GOOD ground connection in order for the amp to even turn on

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverttheclown View Post
yeah try running power from your batt to both the power and remote on the amp to see if thats the prob...make sure your ground is real good too it has to be a GOOD ground connection in order for the amp to even turn on
If his ground is bad, then his protection light would turn on. It could be possible that the REM wire isn't pumping enough voltage for the amp to think that it needs to turn on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Garage
some amps don't have a protection light though i guess it would depend on his amp...so in regards to abyssul's post- if you (divine clarity) have a protection lamp and it is on then check your ground. if you don't have that lamp at all then check the ground. otherwise try running the remote directly to the battery to test whether the amp can turn on or not. if nothing is wrong with the amp then it will turn on with the remote run to the battery but make sure you find a fuse to run it to for normal everyday use. i think i used either the power window or windshield wiper fuse...there are more options for fuses but those are two that will turn off with the car turning off so you're not running your amp 24/7 and killing your batt

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

I got the amps tested today to make sure they work. And for the most part they do. For the protection light; they all have one but neither it or the power light comes on.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Garage
the most part? haha what doesnt work

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM
GTP 06

I'm guessing it's the $40 amp that doesnt work?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Well the front channels on the rockford amp dont work but the rear ones do and on the ma audio one the left channels arent as loud as the right. The $40 one works perfectly fine
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Have you checked your inline fuse on the power cable? Should be one under the hood. Follow the power cable from your amp coming from the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in