Time for new speakers. Need some help like others do :P - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Time for new speakers. Need some help like others do :P

I just want quick and easy replacement speakers that will work best with the stock monsoon 6 cd player radio. 05 pontiac g6 gt. The 6.5" and the 6" x 9". I was hoping to get the 4 speakers between $200 - $250. Any help and websites to buy from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBullBunny View Post
I just want quick and easy replacement speakers that will work best with the stock monsoon 6 cd player radio. 05 pontiac g6 gt. The 6.5" and the 6" x 9". I was hoping to get the 4 speakers between $200 - $250. Any help and websites to buy from?
I have the (stock monsoon) 6.5" 's, headunit, and amp for sale. PM me if interested.

Edit: Just reread the thread and I didn't know if you were looking for aftermarket replacement or OEM. Specify please.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6

if your looking to keep your monsoon deck your better off with the stock speakers because nobody really knows how much power the system has, so speakers would be like guessing.

But if your upgrading the deck too, well then theres a world of opportunity.

Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, 5% Eyebrow tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Interior LEDs, Painted engine covers, Tinted tails, 6K Low Beam HID, 8K High Beam HID, Painted Grilles, Painted Door Trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, Racingline STB, Racingline Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

My speakers are blowing out so its time to get new ones. I'm not tech savvy on all the speakers out there so I was just looking if I could get some help on which to buy. Just looking for speakers so if anyone has ideas of what would be good to buy and the cheapest like i said atleast $200 - $250 that would be greatly appriciated Less $$$ is best for me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Lifetime Member

Good luck there, unless you buy replacement stock speakers from GM I doubt you'll get what you're looking for.
Most aftermarket speakers are 200W and up and IMO if you're not pushing at least a quarter of that power the speakers sound like crap, no matter what brand.

http://mnrelectronics.com/speakers.html

I would take it over to a good audio shop and tell them what you want but if thats too much you can try replacement GM parts.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Like I said I have the stock 6 cd player monsoon radio. from my understanding from other threads it puts out over 400 watts... I didn't really think it would be this complicated to get help >_>. Your making it even tougher for me now really. Sorry not trying to be mean just saying.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 AM
2006 Black G6 GT

Well you want to know what rms rating the stereo has... max power (which is the 400watts.) doesnt mean squat

What everyone else is saying, is that because the monsoon radio doesnt put out much power, that there isn't sense in paying $80 for a pair of speakers when the stereo cant power them to potential.

But i will give you a recommendation since thats what you are looking for.
Infinity Kappas. They make both 6.5" and 6x9s.
And you can get them for pretty cheap off of ebay.

2006 G6 GT
Mods so far: Black arrow overlays, Chrome recessed grilles, Blue LED license plate light, Blue LED reverse lights, Smoked tails, 20% Tint all around, Red led's for the interior, White led dome and map lights.
Sound System: 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers, 2 Amps (950w total) and 2 10" Kenwood KFC subwoofers, 7" touch screen Pioneer DVD

Performance: Mobile 1 oil, Mobile 1 oil filter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM

Not 100% but I believe you need 4ohm DVC speakers. The DVC means dual voice coil. A normal speaker that you think of is a single voice coil with only two terminals (Positive and Negative). A dual voice coil speaker has 4 terminals (2 positive, 2 negative). I think there is some sort of connector to disconnect the 4 wires from the main wiring harness to pull the speaker out without cutting. If that is the case you could cut the 4 wires going to the speaker (keeping the wires connected to the clip) and connect those wires to the new speaker. That way, the connector will plug right back into the factory wiring. I'm sure there is a RMS wattage rating for the stock monsoon speakers that you can find somewhere, or even on the back of the stock speaker. Just try to match it to that (a little higher better than lower). Never look at peak power, always look at rms. Peak is just a way to make you think that the speakers handle 200w when really they only handle a continuous 50-80watt rms.

Hopefully some of this made sense, and hopefully this info is correct, or else this was just a big waste of time...lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM

I just looked around for some info. It may be possible that the original speakers for the G6 are 2 ohm. There were a set on ebay and they showed a picture of the side and it said 2ohm on it. Info was scarce and scattered too. I wonder if asking someone at a dealer would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in