Remote Start quote a bit high ?? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Remote Start quote a bit high ??

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum..

But I want to put in the GM remote start for my 2008 G6, I've confirmed with the dealership that I can do it and all that, but I'm just wondering about the quote I was given.

$179+tax for the 1-way remote, plus about 2hrs of labour costing $240.

Doesn't this seem a little high ? The service person did say 1-2 hours, so I'm not sure if it will cost the full 240, but I'm sure if I agree to it, they'll charge the full time.

What did everyone else pay from the dealership ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Yeah that sounds about right i was quoted something around that for mine when i was looking into getting it. I didnt get it cause i was just curious but you know what i mean

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
179 for the unit itself sounds about right.....but from what ive heard you just basically plug it in. But you will have to take it to the dealer to have them program it. but that cant take longer that 15 minutes.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Garage
If it is as simple as reprogramming, which it probably is, then 240 for install is crazy!
When I had a Viper remote start installed in the parents Subi, it was just over 400 with tax, but it was obviously aftermarket, and therefore required some actual wiring to be done. Prob took about 1.5-2 hours for the tech to install.

06 GT - black on black
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM

To be honest with you I dont find it that useful, I have it on my GT and I hardly ever use it, only if you live where its cold as hell or hot as hell and you want the car/engine to warm up or cool off with the ac, thats about the only use of it I can think of, i wouldnt pay that much to put it in, i would rather spend that money on some engine or appearance mods :P
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, as a matter of fact....I live in Winnipeg, MB Canada.

And yes, it gets brutally cold here in the winter. I've had Remote start in my last 3 cars and I can tell you its very nice to have.

Although, this will be my first winter with my own garage to park in (bought first house earlier this year)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Garage
The main reason i got the remote start was because my key fob for the Subi broke, and the dealer wanted like 150 for a new one. We wanted the remote start anyway, so it was a great time to get it. It also like quadrupled the remotes range over the shitty stock remote.

06 GT - black on black
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Well for anyone that might come across this thread and is wondering the same as I was...

The dealer told me that it was $295 for the kit, then 1.5 hours for labour. After taxes (12%), it came to $433. They told me I was only getting one FOB, but somehow I ended up with 2 ? I didn't bother to ask...

It's strange because those fob's are supposed to be $179 a piece....

Either way, it works as nicely as one could expect...I think i'll enjoy it a little more after its paid off and forgotten about
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 AM

holy i dont know where your dealer is getting their prices but my friends got his for his 6 2 remotes said and done for about 250....

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in