OnStar/Radio wiring help... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

OnStar/Radio wiring help...

Can anyone provide me with the wiring schematics for the OnStar module and the 6 disc changer radio? I want to install a bluetooth kit but need this info to make it happen...thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:09 AM

This isn't schematic but should be enough....

Radio_OnStar
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

that's AWESOME thank you so mucH!

but i have a dilemma. I don't see a radio mute wire. I need to hook up the mute control wire of my bluetooth kit to the radio mute wire so it mutes the radio output when the kit is activated...

is that signal sent over the GMLAN wires? if so, do you have any idea how i can make this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Actually I don't know what you would use a bluetooth kit (what does it do?) but there are 3 different types of mutes I can think of in the vehicle. One is the amplifier mute which the radio controls which did show up in information I provided. Second is the mute function off the steering wheel controls (actually I forgot that since you have new 3-spoke steering wheel that optional audio controls don't have a mute function available - and thus radio isn't configured to allow one). Finally as you thought over GMLAN there is some type of "audio arbitration" that occurs which allows OnStar to take over control of radio's audio output.

I don't think I am helping much
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

basically, the bluetooth kit is a hands free kit for my phone. it hooks into the audio output of the radio to broadcast incoming calls over the stereo, similar to onstar. the mute control would send a signal to the radio to mute the cd, radio, xm, whatever is playing and broadcast only the phone signals. unfortunately, this radio doesn't appear to have that feature, so i might have to rework this project. ARGH!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:26 PM

Ah, so you were planning to wire the output of your bluetooth module into an aux audio input jack of the radio and by "hard wire" command the radio to "shut up" with mute input so that radio would switch over and play your alternative audio source?

Yes I am pretty sure that won't work because you won't be able to control the radio like you want to.

Just curious - does your vehicle have either XM or OnStar or both? Do you subscribe to either?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Ah, so you were planning to wire the output of your bluetooth module into an aux audio input jack of the radio and by "hard wire" command the radio to "shut up" with mute input so that radio would switch over and play your alternative audio source?

Yes I am pretty sure that won't work because you won't be able to control the radio like you want to.

Just curious - does your vehicle have either XM or OnStar or both? Do you subscribe to either?
I have both, and I subscribe to both.

And i wasn't really gonna add the kit as an aux feed, but rather I was gonna piggyback onstar...it will work perfectly except for the lack of that mute control wire.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM

ragingfish,

I am currently working on the same project. What bluetooth kit are you using? I am using the Parrot MK6100 so I can play my iPod with a bluetooth adapter and also take calls.

I have found that there are some third party kits that will do all the wiring for you! I bought this one but found it didn't work for my G6..

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=GMCSS-2

I am looking to find the right one currently but since have had no luck... I believe it is this one, but was looking on this forum to see if anyone knew for sure..

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=gmcss-3

I didn't want to do the work myself so had bestbuy do it the first time... So I don't know if this adapter will work because I didn't see the back of my unit.. do you think looking at the adapter, it might fit?

I will probably do the work myself the second time I do it.

Also what year is your G6?

mek_man

Last edited by mek_man; 01-27-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Try the part BWGM-G6 about $70 just google it

Rich
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 AM

good

This isn't schematic but should be enough....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Also looks like HF-GM-TH-G6 is a valid P/N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in