8.3" LCD Single DIN Headunit - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

8.3" LCD Single DIN Headunit

I bought and installed this headunit last week!!! Thing is crazy big and my friends love it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 PM
CPT

Send a message via Yahoo to aLienationz
O m g

Bro that thing is tight as hell !!!!!!! is it touch screen?

Last edited by aLienationz; 12-23-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added question
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLienationz View Post
Bro that thing is tight as hell !!!!!!! is it touch screen?
Thanks Man, Its pretty sweet. I love seeing the reaction of the people who are behind me at lights... Just gotta keep an eye out for the cops!! I got this thing for a great price so I couldn't pass it up.

and yes its touch screen.. full navigation .. USB .. SD Card Slot... AUX IN and OUT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

this is a link to a video of the unit in action

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

I just took this video today of the headunit in my car.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 AM
;)

looks sweet, nice choice
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Thinking about putting the same in my g6 gt, did you're car come stock with the monsoon system and does this work with the factory amp in the trunk? Also do you lose all the steering wheel controlls and like mpg, trip and all the pther features the stock head unit has..thanks
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Da.v3

imo id go double din or nothing at all. my buddy has a slide out in his celica and it has some issues in the cold here in winnipeg and i like as little moving parts as possible when it comes to electronics.

does look good tho!

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:06 PM

A double din screen wouldnt be bad either i just like the size of this one, what i'm mostly concerned about is will my steering wheel controlls still work and is there any possible way I can get mt new head unit to tell me temp, mpg, trip and everything else my stock one does
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

You can buy a single DIN dash kit from metra that will preserve your trip, gas milage, etc... It is not possible to save these features with a double DIN...
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-3303-Vehicles-Integrate-Diagnostics/dp/B000G7SGO4
I live in Michigan... It is very cold.... the Headunit is well constructed (with a 1 year warranty) and I have had no issues with the mechanical functioning.

I live in a metro area so having the single DIN means it is less tempting to steal.. since it looks like a regular CD player when closed...

I dont know if you can hook this up to the stearing wheel controls...

I do not have to monsoon system... but it might actually be easier to hook up if you did.. not sure tho

FYI.. the biggest double din headunit is 7"... I can see the plus to no moving parts tho

Last edited by nmadole; 01-09-2011 at 01:31 AM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmadole View Post
It is not possible to save these features with a double DIN...

I can see the plus to no moving parts tho

It is possible do save the DIC with a DDIN. I did it in my car. you just have to extend the harness on the Metra 99-3303 and locate it somewhere else such as the glovebox.

Most DDIN units have moving parts. Ones where the screen is basically the front of the whole unit have to move the screen to allow for dvds and cds to be inserted behind them.

It should be easier to hook up to a non-monsoon system as you have no amp to worry about.

Look into some PAC connectors for the steering wheel controls. they make them for most companies.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanj View Post
It is possible do save the DIC with a DDIN. I did it in my car. you just have to extend the harness on the Metra 99-3303 and locate it somewhere else such as the glovebox.

Most DDIN units have moving parts. Ones where the screen is basically the front of the whole unit have to move the screen to allow for dvds and cds to be inserted behind them.

It should be easier to hook up to a non-monsoon system as you have no amp to worry about.

Look into some PAC connectors for the steering wheel controls. they make them for most companies.
Sorry you right, I was thinking that he was asking if there is any way to keep the DIC in the dash.. I have seen a right up about putting it in the center council. I stand corrected.

I do not have the monsoon system but I am firmilar with aftermarket sound systems. I guess I was just assuming that there were some type of RCA outputs that go to the monsoon amp. This deck DOES have a SEPERATE amplifier that is included (about 6 inches by 3 inches) that you wire the speakers to.. I figured if you have a pre amp'd system you could skip the wiring of the amplifier that comes with the deck and simply run the RCA's to the monsoon amp... I do not have the monsoon system so I dont know how it is set up... I would be interested to know tho.. so if you have to monsoon let me know exactly how its set-up
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM

I dont have it, but I kind of know how it's connected. It has a plug similar to the ones on the back of the deck that plugs into it. There are no rca's.

The amp that comes with yours just uses speaker wires to connect to it? And speaker wires coming out of it to go to the speakers?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanj View Post
I dont have it, but I kind of know how it's connected. It has a plug similar to the ones on the back of the deck that plugs into it. There are no rca's.

The amp that comes with yours just uses speaker wires to connect to it? And speaker wires coming out of it to go to the speakers?
The amplifier that comes with the deck is hooked up to the deck with RCA's and then the amplifier hooks up to the stock wiring harness with speaker wire. The reason the separate amplifier is necessary is because there is no room in the single DIN for it due to the fact the screen takes up so much internal room..

Deck --- RCA --- Amplifier --- Speaker wire --- Wire harness --- Stock Speakers...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Makes sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in