help! trying to replace head unit! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

help! trying to replace head unit!

i purchased a pioneer 3200UB and tryed to hardwire everything myself, but decided to purchase an integration adapter and install that way. the head unit is a 4 speaker one,and my question is..

will all 6 (8) of my speakers work? or will only 4?

also, if i want to replace my 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the back, do i just buy new one's and put them in the stock's place, or is there something special i have to do with the amp?

eventually i will get subs and buy a new amp and run it from the HU. but what does my factory amp actually power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Are you refering to the tweeters as 2 of the speakers? because the tweeters are part of the front 6.5's so in that case everything will work out fine.

If you replace the speakers you basically just buy the speakers, and install them. The only special things you will need to do is, cut the connectors for the stock speakers, and possibly make a shim to move the speakers out from the panel a bit. For the 6x9's you shouldnt have to do anything other than cut the connectors off.

All the amp does is power the speakers. if you get a sub, you will want to power it off its own amp. If you buy a mono amp for your sub, you wont be running the speakers off of it. You will either want to continue using the stock amp, or get a different 4 channel amp.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

so if i replace the stock head unit with a pioneer 3200UB using the wiring harness from metra, all of my speakers will still work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM

you bet!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

also, with the new wiring harness, it doesn't have a red wire for the accessory power. is that ok? because the harness connects all the pins including 21 and 22. will i need to tap into a fuse to get accessory power for it to work?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM

What? Really? Which metra harness is it? You will definitely need the red wire. Which I'm pretty sure is actually the ignition power, so that's what tells the deck to turn on when the car starts. If it really isn't there you'll want to find a fuse that only has power when the car is running (should say "ignition" on the kick panel for the center console fuse box) and tap into it for your ignition power.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-2103-Wiring-Harness-Equinox/dp/B000UQ7WPK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1293516265&sr=8-8
that's the one i bought, if it doesn't come with a red cable, what exactly do i do? how do i tap into the wire easily? it was recommended the 30 amp power windows fuse, but how would i do that?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM

As i said above you'll want to find an ignitioned fuse. You will be connecting to it so that you have power only when the car turns on. To tap into the fuse you will want one of these things:

The first one is called an add-a-fuse. It allows you to turn one fuse socket into 2 and has a wire to connect to the new circuit with. If you go this route you will pull the ignitioned fuse from the fuse box, pop the add-a-circuit in and put the fuse back into spot on top of the add-a-circuit. You'll want to add a fuse for the new circuit aswell, but keep in mind the add-a-circuit only can take up to 10A. Once thats done just run a wire from the add-a-circuit to the red wire on your new HU's harness.

The second option is called a fuse tap. Its basically a piece of metal that hooks over one of the ends of the fuse and allows you to connect a wire to it with a female blade connector. Then you can just run a wire from it to the HU harness.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

i decided to go the add a circuit route. so which fuse should i tap into? it's only a 10A circuit.

and in the fuse box where is the recommended fuse located?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Just check the kick panel for the fuse box. Underneath the fuse label it will say "ignition". As long as its 10A or less it will be fine to tap into. I can't remember if the radio fuse is ignitioned or not but it may work. And I would use the same amp fuse as the radio fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in