Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Any 2006 G6's with problems out there?

222K views 406 replies 186 participants last post by  lpratt257 
#1 ·
I have been reading most of the posts on here and the majority of problems/complaints are with 2005 model year G6's. Anyone notice anything wrong or abnormal with thier 2006 yet? I have about 1000KM's on my 06 GT and do not notice anything except that at freeway speeds I am getting the slight vibration that everyone is talking about. I am going to the dealer Monday to check the balance on all 4 tires, and to double check the tightining of the harmonic balancer, just in case.

#4 ·
I have a little over 3300 miles. I too think one of the tires is out of balance, but once it warms up it seems to go away.

Yesterday I closed the driver's side door and the reflector fell off, not a big deal and I can fix it myself. But annoying because I had a 97 Grand Am that had the same problem. Let's hope Pontiac doesn't go into the bycycle making business or those kiddies are in trouble at night. :p

I also had a unique smell when under a load like climbing up some of these 13% grade hills. I figured it was all that plastic under the hood 'breaking in'. Seems to have gone away.

#38 ·
Yesterday I closed the driver's side door and the reflector fell off, not a big deal and I can fix it myself. But annoying because I had a 97 Grand Am that had the same problem. Let's hope Pontiac doesn't go into the bycycle making business or those kiddies are in trouble at night. :p
Ohh that happened to me on my drivers side door as well... they had to order a new one and it took 3 weeks, then they didnt even have the courtesy to put it in for me, lol, they just gave it to me to do myself... not a big deal, more comical than anything lol

#145 ·
let me guess

Let me guess what they told you. It;s because of the exposed brake rotors. They build up rust IMMEDIATELY no matter the weather because their exposed!
Then I have to ask, WHY are they exposed? Oh I get it, it;s so we have to pay more and ore often for the damage that having exposed rotors cause! THIS is NOT a race car and we do NOT have to see our rotors at all times. It is just a car dealer/mechanics dream to find a way to convince up we want some feature that will cause us to have to get more repairs!
WE DO NOT WANT THIS FEATURE!
Now of course this no longer matters on Pontiac's unfortunately but ALL the other makes and models are doing this too!

#6 ·
I have an 06 G6 GT with 33k on it, brake rotors, seatback releases both sides, right headlight peeled inside, blown rear speaker, a/c leak, passenger seat belt, and two chrome wheels peeling that the dealer won't make good. Is that enough?

#155 ·
Ha, Yea I had that problem, my front driver side speaker also went out. I ended up just buying a whole system and such...then the cd player decided to go out. The rear speakers are a pain trying to remove (Since there is rear air bags.) The front speakers are also hard to install.

Total cost: $3,250. (Speakers (all four): $500. Brand new cd player: $599. Second Diagonis system: $145. Rest of the expense went to subwoofers and amplifer)

#9 ·
I have 17k on my 2006 G6 GT. No major issues, but the alignment seems get changed easily, slight vibration at highway speeds, slight brake vibration (might be warped - sudden brake to avoid deer), sometimes the speakers sound weird, Continental tires don't hold pressure well (one flat, one bulge), cheap components and paint (already fading), some suspension noises during the winter months, steering make some ticking noises during parking lot manuvers. Most of these I've read on other posts, so I don't see much improvement between 05 and 06.

#10 ·
Man! I must say, I hope I don't start having the problems I'm hearing about. (knock, knock) So far the only problem I've experienced (G6 GT) is a clunking noise while turning the wheel and this is every so often. This is my third Pontiac and I am still quite pleased with their cars.

#11 ·
There's always a slight vibration at highway speed on my 2007. I have tried balancing the tires, alignments, etc but still no improvement. My other 10-year old car is still smooth and solid even at 100 mph.

I noticed an occasional loud pop on my speakers and thought the speakers might be blown, then I noticed it only happens when I am listening to the radio, especially AM. So I think it is most likely due to poor reception...they're not that good with the G6.

#14 ·
Just came back from the dealership for some steering noise (clunking) and a broken mirror cover (driver visor). Apparently the intermediate shaft needs to be replaced. I've had this problem a number of times with my 03 Impala and no solution yet (105,000 miles).

#15 ·
Just bought my 2006 G6 Sedan a week ago. It's got 47,000 miles on it. I just started receiving this sticking / popping from my steering, especially at slow speeds. After reading some posts on here, I guess it's off to the dealership ASAP.....I hope this doesn't turn into something that drags on forever.

#21 ·
i have a 2006 G6 with just over 78,000 miles on it. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it (i know, thats a lot of miles for a 2006) but, the only thing that I have done to it so far was put new brakes on. There is a rattling noise in the front drivers side corner which i should get checked... and the only other thing i can think of that has happened is one time i left the windows opened and it rained (=[) annd i think it like shorted out the air bag on the passengers side because the service air bag thing came up. However, once it got dried out and such it went away, but thats not really the manufactures fault that happened.

#24 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 G6. I was getting major vibration in the front when braking, so I had the rotors turned. Problem not solved...and actually got worse. I had to replace the front outer tie rods, and the problem went away. Not sure if anyone else has had to do this...seems like they should not have had to be changed that soon. Now I have a knocking in the back of my car and have no idea what it is. I hear it at slow speeds, but not when I brake.

#30 ·
I have had several people ask the same thing. I have not checked yet (guess I should), but I am not sure why it would be the spare when it has not been moved, and has many things on top. The spare parts, by the way, are in the box the new ones came in, and then inside the net pocket in the trunk.

#39 ·
I'm sad that all these people have been having problems with their G6's. My baby is an '06 Sedan (3500 V6) with 52,000 miles and the only problem I've had with her is the rotor warping, which I was ever so slightly annoyed with and had temporarily fixed with a resurfacing. Maybe I'll replace them somewhere down the road. I plan on having her a for several more years to come! Hope you all are enjoying your G6 as much as I am enjoying mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.