Extended warranty advice - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Extended warranty advice

Well it's almost time for my bumper to bumper warranty to expire. When I got my car in Feb. I was told I can get the extended warranty that will take my bumper to bumper to 100,000 miles for $1,600. I didn't take it out at the time, but now I'm wondering if I need to start saving for it. What do you all think? Does there seem to be many problems with the g6 after the warranty expires? I have a 01 grand am and never had one problem with it for the 5 years I owned it, but I'm new to the 6's and am hoping some of you who have Owned them longer might be able to give me some advice. Would you say it's worth spending 1,600 on it? I know I still have the 100,000 mile powertrain so that gives me some peace of mind. If some of you who have owned them for a while could advise me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM

I think it's all up to you i work for a gm dealer i see people in every day buy extended warrantys. some people i see use them all the time and get there money worth and then i see people that buy them and never use them so they waste the money on them. just to let you kno there is a lot that is still covered under the 5/100k factory warranty
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I'm currently looking into two seperate companies for warranties. I called today and spoke to the dealer and the Warranty they quoted me was through MasterTech for the Ultra Wrap. I've been hearing good things about GMPP so I checked out their site and I'm thinking about the Major Guard. Has anyone used either of these or know which one is the most reliable company? With MasterTech my deductable would be zero, but I think I can get the Zero deductable with the GMPP also. I'm just really confused about which one to go with.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 AM

I would suggest going with GMPP.

I had a Warranty Direct warranty on my old Buick, and my dealer avoided it like the plague... even went as far as to claim they'd never seen it before. Wanted to charge me teardown to confirm issues that could be shown visually... and then file a claim to get my money back.

Could it just be a rotten dealer? Sure, happens all the time. But I more think dealers are sick of working with these extended warranties. I've seen them try to undercut dealers before and haggle with more bargaining power than I certainly feel like I have with the dealer.

My "new" car has 33,000 miles on it, and I'm in a similar boat. Even though the GMPP is almost twice as much as Warranty Direct's quote, I'm going with GMPP.

Edit: The other clincher was Warranty Direct's exclusions. I read the terms that covered "electricals" but then said that it may not include "electrical components". Yeah, that's a ton of wiggle room right there. They could argue that covers the wires leading up to, say, the BCM, but that the BCM is an "electrical component". Uh, no thanks.

Last edited by Christopher Price; 06-27-2011 at 02:42 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I've been doing some more research on extended warranties and so far this is what I've found out. For the MasterTech Ultra wrap through the GM Dealer is 1,600.00 with 0 deductable. Through GMPP Direct for 5yr/75,000 mile Major Guard warranty with 0 deductable it's 2,650.00. I'm really confused about which one to go with. With the 1,050.00 price difference I'm tempted to go with MasterTech, but I don't think it covers things such as my onstar. Has anyone ever had a MasterTech warranty if so how was it? I'm also wondering if a GMPP warranty would be cheaper through the Dealer than it is Direct.

I just spoke to MasterTech and even though it is a lot cheaper I don't feel as comfortable with them after their replies as far as coverage. She said right off your engine, Transmission, & a few other things are covered. Then she said the things that aren't listed as excluded should be covered depending on reason of failure. Does this sound odd to you all or is it just me? I've never had a extended warranty so I'm hoping those of you who have will help me out. Thanks!

~Regina

Last edited by reginaalear; 06-30-2011 at 03:11 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM

I personally have the GMPP Major Guard and dropped my car off at the shop today, had about 8-10 little things ( driver side rear tire pressure gauge broken, rear passenger door lock sticking, issue with staticy radio, etc etc ) and the guy goes 'Just in labor alone your warranty is going to pay for itself today" - that made me feel good. Guy told me that with exception of 'general maintenance' ( brakes, oil change, air filter, etc ) its covered, not sure if its normally covered but they are even balancing my tires when they rotate them, free. Work is also going to take 24-48 hrs and they got me a rental no questions asked.

I have a 2009 and just crested 75,000 miles and the things I've listed were :: knock on wood :: the only issues I have had since I bought the car. IMO it will always be that 'If you have it you will never need it and if you don't have it you will need it twice'.

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I believe I will go with the gmpp major guard. Can you tell me if the date starts on the day you buy it or the in service date? I was told by the dealer that they weren't sure which it would be because they don't sell that one, but for me to be aware of it because they thought it was the in service date & not the warranty purchase date. I'm hoping I never need it, but will feel better knowing I have it. The one they quoted me was 5yr/75,000 miles. I hope they have a 100,000 mile one. I'll have to look into it.

~Regina
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM

I got the 5yr/100k deal but I put a lot of miles on my vehicles so I didn't even pay attention to the year mark - I 'THINK' its from the date of purchase IE the day the warranty began to cover the vehicle but don't quote me on that one.

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisDave View Post
I got the 5yr/100k deal but I put a lot of miles on my vehicles so I didn't even pay attention to the year mark - I 'THINK' its from the date of purchase IE the day the warranty began to cover the vehicle but don't quote me on that one.
GMPP's start from when you purchase them.

For example, if you have a 2 year old car with 20,000 miles on it, and buy a 4 year 60,000 mile plan, your warranty would expire 6 years from purchase or when your car hits 80,000 miles on it.

Keep in mind though that Ally, which runs GMPP, is not stupid about GM vehicles. They know that problems occur after 7 years and 100,000 miles.

If you buy a GMPP when your car is new, you'll typically get offered up to 7 years and 100,000 miles. If you buy a car when it hits against 36,000 miles and three years (at the end of the bumper to bumper), you'll typically get offered up to 4 years / 60,000 miles.

One more note. GMPP rates increase steadily depending on when you buy it. They know people often discount the future and wait until the last minute. Buying a GMPP when your car is less than a year old could save you up to 50% on the price.

Edit: You can buy GMPP after the bumper-to-bumper expires, but the $0 deductible becomes a $50 deductible. Also the cost of the plan goes up and duration/miles starts to sink.

Unfortunately, I bought a 2 year old G6 with 33,000 miles on it, so I'm looking at $2,200 for 4 years 60,000 miles of Major Guard coverage. I'll be bidding out a couple more dealers to be sure over the next week though.

Last edited by Christopher Price; 07-01-2011 at 01:14 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I got my car in Feb. With 29,000 miles on it. Today it has 35,210 so I have to make up my mind pretty quick. I've called a few different dealers and have been given quotes of 1,600 with 0 deductible for mastertech, one called zeirk or something like that for 1,600 with 100 deductible then gmpp for 2,600 0 deductible for 4 yrs/75,000 miles. I'm really confused about which one to go with. Having never bought a extended warranty it's very confusing.

~Regina
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 PM

If your budget is not enough to get a GMPP, I would go with the lower-tier warranties.

If your budget is enough, I would pay the extra and go with GMPP.

You'll be able to sleep soundly at night knowing that, unless you mod your car, it is highly unlikely you'll ever have a warranty claim denied. With other warranty providers, not so much.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Also, too important to edit my old post. You can haggle with your dealer on GMPP. I got $400 knocked off the price of my GMPP, which was $2650 like yours when I got my first quote.

Dealers make money off of GMPP, as does GMPP Direct. You can haggle a bit and get a better deal.

Also, if you're still undecided, you may want to go with a higher GMPP deductible, that'll usually shave a couple hundred off... but in the long run a few repair trips could make it cost more.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I checked with the dealer and they told me all they could do for me with GMPP is 36 mo./75,000 for $2,095. They were willing to know off $400 on the MasterTech though. I can do the GMPP because I was lucky enough to pay cash for my car so no payment. I think I will go with them. I've been sitting here looking at the GMPP site for a while trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. lol

~Regina
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok I purchased the warranty but now I'm even more confused and really need help. It has a lien holder listed on my paper. Does this mean they have a lien on my car now? I tried to call gmpp but they are closed for the day. I set it up on monthly payments directly out of my checking account. Anyone else know if this is a lien on my car? I really hope not.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in