Help the newbie? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Question Help the newbie?

I am in the process of buying a 2006 g6 GTP. It's got 75k. I'm currently driving an 06 VW GTI. I have been a German car enthusiast for several years, but this has quickly changed as I keep needing to buy special tools for DIY projects, and paying $100-150 per hour labor charges for the projects I can't complete myself. In this economy, it's time to buy products from my own country.

Finding an American car that fits the bill has been quite the struggle. I need a 6 speed manual, greater or equal power to what I'm driving now, leather, and of course low miles(since us foreign car enthusiasts have been brainwashed into thinking American doesn't last). I have always liked the G6, so I finally found one that fits the bill.

What do I need to know? Are the transmissions smooth and reliable? Same question for the clutch. What are some of the parts that "go" as I climb over 100k miles? Should I expect this car to last, without serious problems if I drive it like a sports car should be driven? I don't redline my cars EVER, but I weight my foot quite a bit to get up to speed. Any suggestions on a sporty sounding exhaust that won't wake the neighbors or get me pulled over often? What vehicles are the wheel patterns interchangeable with? Any good ECU mapping chips at decent cost?

Glad to be part of the community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Also, after reading some reviews on the transmission(which i'm most concerned with), I see that A LOT of people have had problems with the 6 speed transmission. Is the 06 GTP in the clear for these problems? The smoothness and reliability of shifting is a deal-breaker if problematic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonDeF View Post
I am in the process of buying a 2006 g6 GTP. It's got 75k. I'm currently driving an 06 VW GTI. I have been a German car enthusiast for several years, but this has quickly changed as I keep needing to buy special tools for DIY projects, and paying $100-150 per hour labor charges for the projects I can't complete myself. In this economy, it's time to buy products from my own country.

Finding an American car that fits the bill has been quite the struggle. I need a 6 speed manual, greater or equal power to what I'm driving now, leather, and of course low miles(since us foreign car enthusiasts have been brainwashed into thinking American doesn't last). I have always liked the G6, so I finally found one that fits the bill.

What do I need to know? Are the transmissions smooth and reliable? Same question for the clutch. What are some of the parts that "go" as I climb over 100k miles? Should I expect this car to last, without serious problems if I drive it like a sports car should be driven? I don't redline my cars EVER, but I weight my foot quite a bit to get up to speed. Any suggestions on a sporty sounding exhaust that won't wake the neighbors or get me pulled over often? What vehicles are the wheel patterns interchangeable with? Any good ECU mapping chips at decent cost?

Glad to be part of the community.
welcome.. post pics of the 6! im assuming sense your talking about the 6 speed manual you got lucky and found a 6 speed manual 6?? thats pretty rare, dont think they made many! so congrats

really common problem is the steering column clunking noise while turning, but they'll grease you up and send you on your way..

exhaust is all by ear, there is 1 exhaust custom made for the 6, called the gt-r by custom performance, its a magnaflow.. but there are several with customs with flowmaster.. 40, 44, 80 series are the most popular with the flowmasters...

wheel pattern is 5/110.. a lot of gm wheels will fit. soltice (need spacers) hhr, saturn sky...ect. do a search because there is a thread that talks about it or just search for bolt pattern 5/110

and we have a vendor who does the tunes called wams, he wrote the vector tune and then he started doing his own. it runs around 400 bucks i think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=penelopeTHEg6;80387]welcome.. post pics of the 6! im assuming sense your talking about the 6 speed manual you got lucky and found a 6 speed manual 6?? thats pretty rare, dont think they made many! so congrats

really common problem is the steering column clunking noise while turning, but they'll grease you up and send you on your way..

exhaust is all by ear, there is 1 exhaust custom made for the 6, called the gt-r by custom performance, its a magnaflow.. but there are several with customs with flowmaster.. 40, 44, 80 series are the most popular with the flowmasters...

wheel pattern is 5/110.. a lot of gm wheels will fit. soltice (need spacers) hhr, saturn sky...ect. do a search because there is a thread that talks about it or just search for bolt pattern 5/110

Thanks for the info! Forgive the newbie question, but what do you mean by "a 6 speed 6"? Do you mean a "G6" as opposed to a G5 or G8? I dont have the car in my possession yet. I'm buying it out of state. All of the loan information went through and the payments are right. As long as I enjoy the test drive, I will be bringing it home this week. All that I know as of yet is that its a 2006 G6 GTP, 3.9L, 6 speed manual, black on black, with roughly 75k, and its just under $10k.

I didnt realize it was rare. It further encourages me to jump on this deal. I have had trouble getting a loan for any other car since I will be rolling over quite a bit on the loan, and I need to get out from under this GTI before the month is up because its due for inspection and has well over $1000 dollars worth of repairs needed.

Before I DO "jump on this deal", I just wanted to get an idea for the reliability. I may end up keeping it stock as far as performance mods aside from intake, for the sound(not sure yet). I dont want to buy my first American car with 75k and have it be a nightmare in the immediate future. Coming from imports, I definitely have been wrongly lead away from American cars due to the common idea that they're a ticking time bomb after 100k miles. Any information to ease my mind before the purchase? Anything I should look out for during test drive and PPI?

P.S. As a side note; I'm only ruling out performance mods if they are going to threaten reliability.

Last edited by TeflonDeF; 08-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonDeF View Post
Thanks for the info! Forgive the newbie question, but what do you mean by "a 6 speed 6"? Do you mean a "G6" as opposed to a G5 or G8? I dont have the car in my possession yet. I'm buying it out of state. All of the loan information went through and the payments are right. As long as I enjoy the test drive, I will be bringing it home this week. All that I know as of yet is that its a 2006 G6 GTP, 3.9L, 6 speed manual, black on black, with roughly 75k, and its just under $10k.

I didnt realize it was rare. It further encourages me to jump on this deal. I have had trouble getting a loan for any other car since I will be rolling over quite a bit on the loan, and I need to get out from under this GTI before the month is up because its due for inspection and has well over $1000 dollars worth of repairs needed.

Before I DO "jump on this deal", I just wanted to get an idea for the reliability. I may end up keeping it stock as far as performance mods aside from intake, for the sound(not sure yet). I dont want to buy my first American car with 75k and have it be a nightmare in the immediate future. Coming from imports, I definitely have been wrongly lead away from American cars due to the common idea that they're a ticking time bomb after 100k miles. Any information to ease my mind before the purchase? Anything I should look out for during test drive and PPI?

P.S. As a side note; I'm only ruling out performance mods if they are going to threaten reliability.
when i said 6 speed "6" i mean G6. its the lazy way of saying it lol..
i will say the car is real realiable, but i would definitely take the car to a mechanic and have him do a thorough check of the engine and body, to make sure there wasn't anything wrong or crashed... ask for a car fax if there is one.

which state is the car coming from? that could say a lot to, road damage, and weather..

do an overal body check, look for things that look unaligned, and check doors, make sure they shut right, check the trunk, make sure everything works properly... car salesmen are sharks and will do whatever they can to get the car off the lot.

my steering column was knocking when i test drove mine, the lot took care of it for me, but just keep an eye out for that as well. check your sun roof make sure it works well and seals out right or you'll be paying out the ass to fix the sun roof..

thats all i can really think of, but definitely get the car fax if you can!

performance mods, wont affect the car long term wise, unless you do stupid things to the car that will obviously tear it up.. intake, exhaust, tune, are all things that are okay for the car.

Last edited by penelopeTHEg6; 08-16-2011 at 04:17 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again!

I already got the Carfox verbally, its clean, two owners, both out of Pennsylvania. They couldn't email me the Carfax and I wasn't near a fax machine, but I made it quite clear that I wouldn't be leaving the lot with the car unless I had it in hand, and it all checked out. I'm well aware of how car dealers work... its unfortunate that almost every single one of them is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Being that I have lived in NY for my entire life, I know what signs to look for as far as salt damage goes in the paint and undercarriage. i have already found a few mechanic shops near the dealer and have called to establish a relationship so that I can bring the car by for a PPI during test drive.

Any info on the transmissions? I have owned one 5 speed, and two 6 speed's, and have literally driven near 100 manual cars, no exaggeration. I haven't really LOVED many of them at all(picky, picky). I will tell you that the GTI that I have now, definitely has the most "buttery" shifting of bunch, but its near impossible to shift quickly. I have to press the shifter into the gear, lightly, until it "gives" and catches the gear. This may sound more drastic than it really is, but I'm an absolute "attention to detail" mindset when it comes to shifts. I notice this about as much on many cars.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
the transmission was well built for the car, but thats it. you cant do much to it besides leave it stock. you cant turbo or supercharge it without any upgrades to the transmission...

but i cant give a good answer for the 6 speed because i dont have it but i havent heard of any complaints from anyone of the 6 speed owners! more people will jump in here shortly to help answer this or you can post another thread asking about it... you should join g6performance.com also, its helpful as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
the transmission was well built for the car, but thats it. you cant do much to it besides leave it stock. you cant turbo or supercharge it without any upgrades to the transmission...

but i cant give a good answer for the 6 speed because i dont have it but i havent heard of any complaints from anyone of the 6 speed owners! more people will jump in here shortly to help answer this or you can post another thread asking about it... you should join g6performance.com also, its helpful as well.

Thank you, I will check it out. I certainly would never even think about putting a supercharger or turbocharger into it. One of the big reasons I'm ridding myself of this GTI (2.0 Turbo) is because I hate how sluggish it is before the turbo kicks in, and how uncontrollable and unpredictable the power is. Its very uncomfortable to drive, when you drive like I do. Its either on the verge of stalling, or its ripping me back into the seat without warning and tearing up my tires. I want the power, but I want it wherever I need it, and not just when the turbo spools. Turbo and supercharged cars obviously have to have low compression pistons, so they aren't powerful at all until the boost builds. In order to take a naturally aspirated car and turbo/supercharge it, you have to do a TON of work to the engine to keep it reliable and ensure it runs properly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely into upgrades, but I'm not the "street tuner" type. Most of the mods I want, aren't aimed at more power. Its an added bonus, but I am more concerned with the look and sound of the car. I want an intake for the sound. I want an exhaust for the sound. I have always been curious about performance chips. I want my stereo to sound good and handle being loud enough to reach my half-deaf ears, without blowing the speakers(no sub-woofer mods). I want sporty wheels, but nothing like the rims that teenagers seem to love. I want some light tint. I want nicer grill's. That's about it. If the intake does enough for the sound, then an exhaust is unnecessary. If the car has enough power to provide some good passing power, then a chip is also unnecessary.

Oh, and lastly, i keep asking about transmissions because when I Googled G6 6 speed transmission reviews, I found a LOT of sites titled "G6 transmission problems" and "G6 transmission recalls"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
intake definitely wont be enough noise.. its not for me anyways, i even ripped out my intake resonator for more throaty noise.. and the car will definitely get up and go but the chip is just for fun, if you got the extra cash, might as well order it! is how i see it lol. the car will move but by no means is it a race car. its a comfortable ride, and there are a lot of nice visual mods for you.. i myself am also no into the 12" kickers and sub woofers and crap, i prefer to keep my hearing and my rear view mirror in place... post pics when you get the car! happy modding!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
intake definitely wont be enough noise.. its not for me anyways, i even ripped out my intake resonator for more throaty noise.. and the car will definitely get up and go but the chip is just for fun, if you got the extra cash, might as well order it! is how i see it lol. the car will move but by no means is it a race car. its a comfortable ride, and there are a lot of nice visual mods for you.. i myself am also no into the 12" kickers and sub woofers and crap, i prefer to keep my hearing and my rear view mirror in place... post pics when you get the car! happy modding!

I plan on doing a cheap chrome intake with a high end filter. I have found in the past that the cheaper and thinner the intake tube, the more noise it makes. I have done 3-500 dollar intakes with thick, textured, heat resistant piping, and they are much quieter. I don't mind a little extra heat if it means I get more sound. I have only put an exhaust on one of my vehicles and it was way too loud for my taste. I want a sporty sound, not a "loud" sound. I ended up replacing it with a "twin loop" muffler(3 to 3.5 inch piping that loops around and goes through the muffler a second time, its pretty big) and it actually gave me more bottom end than the less restrictive one and it gave me a much better sound. The twin loop likely wont fit on the G6 without quite a bit of modification, and it still might sit too low for me to be comfortable with it. The terrain here is anything but flat.

I'm thinking that if I can make the twin loop fit, I may chop out the stock muffler/mufflers, replace them with straight piping, and weld the twin loop in before the muffler splits. this will probably give me a little bit more sound and lengthen the overall exhaust path, which should give me some bottom end, if my knowledge is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in