What to do - Moved up north and what to do about the car... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Da.v3

What to do - Moved up north and what to do about the car...

So...ive moved up north and its even worse and longer winter here than in my home city of winnipeg...

Ive considered selling it and getting an suv or truck...but i love the 6...and in my current situation it may be better to just ship it here.

The company im working for pays to have it shipped and I would hate to sell it and get something and risk having issues with a new car i know nothing about...my 6 isnt great but its proven itself and i know the ins and outs for the most part.

is it possible to put a lift on the 6? lol i realize it would look funny but its an idea im playing with in my head

suggestions?

FYI I now live in Churchill MB...polar bear capital of the world...its on the hudson bay in northern manitoba in canada.

On a side note id be the second sporty ish car in the town...apparently some guy has a camaro...havnt seen it nor do i know the year

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:23 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
put some snow tires on it and call it a day i don't think theres a lift for a g6
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Isnt the 6 paid off? Get a beater for the snow...?? beats me....
we dont get that white stuff down here.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
I agree with lampoon just get a beater. The 6 doesn't do bad in snow tho.. I know Canada gets a lot more then Ohio but we get it bad I'm the northeast and mine does fine
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Garage
keep the 6 and get a Subi or something else with AWD or 4WD

06 GT - black on black
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Da.v3

The 6 is indeed paid off im just partial to selling it and getting something im unfamiliar with.

There are no roads here...I mean roads leading to this town, only way in is train or plane so there are no dealerships or LARGE shops...

I know my 6 is reliable and to just sell and hope the best on something in a remote town is kinda a toss up for me. Im for sure leaning toward something 4wd if I do trade or sell and buy.

Then not to mention I already have winter tires and all my retarded mods id want to part with for a sale or include in a sale...blah

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Ha that's pretty interesting all around. Sounds like a horror movie in the making - a city cut off from society by the elements...a spreading madness leaves the townfolk with nowhere to run or hide

Anyway, do you know if they're able to keep the roads decently clear? If so you might as well just keep the G6 since you won't be able to leave town no matter what you drive.

Also equally important - do they have good internet service there? Definitely want to hear from you after you're there to hear what it's like and to make sure you don't go wacko (at least, not more wacko than usual)

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Garage
What about snow chains on the 6? Are you allowed to use them?

06 GT - black on black
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Get some winter force snows on 16" steels and drive it when its possible. But buy a Tacoma and enjoy off roading

Had a 07 GTP coupe, traded in for my GTI....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Da.v3

I got 16 steelies with blizsomethinga rather...use for 2 seasons with atleast 75% left

Haha it sure is quite the town. The internet is a 7 meg connection, i get 2 flights a year to go back home to visit and a bunch of goodies here to keep me sane...including a bunch of cute nurses and what not at work .

Id love to get something of a beast for off roading...but another thing i didnt mention was the gas price...its 2.05$...a liter....and for some retarded reason insurance is more up here =\

Black 06 GTP Coupe

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:12 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
find a nice little used s10 or ranger with 4wd cheap and good on gas
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 PM

keep the 6!

i live in alaska and have my whole life. i drive in blizzard/heavy snow or ice conditions for 6 months out of the year and the car is fantastic. just get a GOOD set of winter tires. im not sure if studs are allowed by law where you live but i have a great set of studded coopers. they are the best. if you don't deal with ice too much there i would get blizzaks, they are superb in heavy snow. they are pricey but well worth it. for those who do not know about winter driving conditions the drivetrain is almost as important as the tire in winter conditions. going for good to worse would be:

1st-4wd/awd
2nd-front wheel ( thats the 6!)
3rd- rear wheel ( sorry sports cars, you lose this race!)

if you are a halfway competent driver in winter conditions, front wheel drive with good winter tires you will have no issues.

best of luck!~

'08 G6 GT 3.5
mods: 20% tint all around/ 5% on front strip, smoked tail lights, k&n filter, Black Eagle Eyes
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM

if you use bigger wheels and tires(snow tires for sure), isn't the car lifted?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
I would say keep the 6! Sounds like you already have the best snow tires made, Bridgestone Blizzaks. I run those on 16" steelies too, and pass people in 4x4's that cant go anywhere because their tires suck. I liive in northwest PA in the "snow belt", and we get dumped on by lake effect snow coming across the great lakes. As for a lift, I would say look into putting either hydrollics or air bags under your 6 then you can control the ride height.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
So...ive moved up north and its even worse and longer winter here than in my home city of winnipeg...

Ive considered selling it and getting an suv or truck...but i love the 6...and in my current situation it may be better to just ship it here.

The company im working for pays to have it shipped and I would hate to sell it and get something and risk having issues with a new car i know nothing about...my 6 isnt great but its proven itself and i know the ins and outs for the most part.

is it possible to put a lift on the 6? lol i realize it would look funny but its an idea im playing with in my head

suggestions?

FYI I now live in Churchill MB...polar bear capital of the world...its on the hudson bay in northern manitoba in canada.

On a side note id be the second sporty ish car in the town...apparently some guy has a camaro...havnt seen it nor do i know the year

If gas is at $2 a litre why would you even consider an SUV? That is crazy talk.

I'm in Fort McMurray[4 hours north of Edmonton] and from my understanding were about the same distance north give or take a few hundred kms.

That being said, the 6 is amazing in snow! Mind you I have only driven it this season so far .. But it's wicked. It's crazy icy here so its actually kinda fun because my tires are so good. I put stud's in my tires cuz im planning on driving between here & through the mountains in BC quite a bit. I feel safe with the studs. I can beat everyone off the line. & Nobody can say anything about my studs because they all know how bad the highways are here.

Are studs mandatory in Manitoba? I dont think in Alberta they are, but I know it's illegal to not have chains/studs/winter tires in BC.

You should just pay the $100 for the studding & keep it up there! You will still have the freedom of being able to drive wherever you want (even if there is no where to go you still need some sanity) at a cheaper cost than a suv or TRUCK!! I'm sure theres enough ice in the polar bear capital to warrant having studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in