What attracted you to the G6/Malibu? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
What attracted you to the G6/Malibu?

I'll start...

I was looking for a first car that was ok on gas and that i could drive a lot with out it breaking down. it had to have room for me (im 6'3) and HAD to be from GM. mom said she had a grand am as her first car and she loved it and i guess some of it rubbed off on me as an infant because i love pontiacs.

at first i liked the g5. that chaged after i sat in it and didnt fit. lol but then i started noticing the different styles of he g6. (coupe, sedan, convertible) and i started liking it. at first i perfered the coupe ofcourse because im 16 and wanted something sporty and transformer-like.

then i briefly like the convertible because it was like a coupe but it didnt have any trunck space with the top down. so then i was back to the coupes. mom said i wouldnt like 2 drs because the dont have as much room and it would be a hassle to get people in and out of the car, but (as 16yr olds do) i didnt listen.

then i started to look at the sedans, and how sporty it looked (if you got the right one) and that my favorite transformer (wheeljack) in the 3rd movie was a blue SEDAN, and i fell in love with my white loaded 4dr gt. (that i found by the grace of God on autotrader.com btw) the rest is history.

Last edited by Wheeljack; 09-28-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Well, I grew up in a GM household, so of course part of my decision had already been made as to what manufacturer I was going to go with. I looked around for awhile. Everyone I knew had the cobalt, I liked it but leaned more towards the pontiac because I drive a grand prix at the time (which was my moms as I was only 16) after I turned 18 I came home to find this summit white G5 coupe in my drive way that I had been eyeballing for awhile. Sunroof, upgraded sound system, upgraded wheel package, Turned out, it was mine and all I had to do was sign the papers. (sneaky parents consigned for me for graduation)

Well I loved that car! Then my son came along.... Two doors was just not cutting it. I looked at the malibu, but I missed seeing my arrowhead on the steering wheel so took the 6 for a drive. V6, sedan, recessed grills, onstar, still had my sunroof. Loved it more than the 5. Traded the g5 in that day and drove off thee lot with my g6.

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Da.v3

For the size, power, interior styling, exterior look of the coupe....was best I found in my price range at the time I bought my GT back in 08 or 7 or w.e...

then it was written off...I then got a gtp.

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
Well, I grew up in a GM household, so of course part of my decision had already been made as to what manufacturer I was going to go with. I looked around for awhile. Everyone I knew had the cobalt, I liked it but leaned more towards the pontiac because I drive a grand prix at the time (which was my moms as I was only 16) after I turned 18 I came home to find this summit white G5 coupe in my drive way that I had been eyeballing for awhile. Sunroof, upgraded sound system, upgraded wheel package, Turned out, it was mine and all I had to do was sign the papers. (sneaky parents consigned for me for graduation)

Well I loved that car! Then my son came along.... Two doors was just not cutting it. I looked at the malibu, but I missed seeing my arrowhead on the steering wheel so took the 6 for a drive. V6, sedan, recessed grills, onstar, still had my sunroof. Loved it more than the 5. Traded the g5 in that day and drove off thee lot with my g6.

JT

i like that story. my parents like ford. gross. and then my grandad likes dodge and GM 2nd and nana and i both like GM. and i think its cool that u upgraded from the g5 to a g6. i liked the g5 too for a while.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

A 67 Pontiac GTO was my first car....so from the get go Ive been a Pontiac fan.

I needed a nice car and was looking for something that drove nice and I test drove
the brand new just out 2005 model. Loved it but they didnt have a blue one and i wanted the sunroof and ALL the options. So I ordered one. It arrived when Hurricane Rita was here so I called her Rita.

I had wanted a 2005 GTO but my wife talked me into the 4 door sedan G6 as she said it had more room. Turns out the G6 Sedan cabin space is a whopping 1" bigger than the interior cabin space of a GTO. WHAT?? yup....next time you see one park next to it and compare the sizes.

I took this shot a few years ago with my craptacular cell phone and it shows the difference in size....

had I known that I would have gotten the GTO but Im glad I didnt know because
I fell in love with the look, the ride and feel of the G6. Of course I wish it had 450 horses though.....lol

Oh and that 67 GTO.......I still have it!

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Lifetime Member

What attracted you to the G6/Malibu?

Looks
Performance (in a sedan)
Price

I'll probably clean it up this weekend and toss some wax on it too, do a photo shoot.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Garage
looked great when i first saw it on the lot, needed something with improve MPG over my '96 ranger and the price was right. plus had the extras that i WANTED but weren't necessary i suppose: V6, sunroof, and it is visually appealing. then i stumbled across this site and its even more visually appealing now haha

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
2006 Black G6 GT

The interior.

And as all of you have said,
decent mpg, style, speed, all for the price.

2006 G6 GT
Mods so far: Black arrow overlays, Chrome recessed grilles, Blue LED license plate light, Blue LED reverse lights, Smoked tails, 20% Tint all around, Red led's for the interior, White led dome and map lights.
Sound System: 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers, 2 Amps (950w total) and 2 10" Kenwood KFC subwoofers, 7" touch screen Pioneer DVD

Performance: Mobile 1 oil, Mobile 1 oil filter
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
i had a 5 speed 1999 jetta.. loved it at first. then months later. 2k to rebuild the top have of the engine, 2 water pumps, starter, and clutch was ready to go... so that was the end of that... i took the car to the dealer ship.. was actually looking at the brand new (2010) scion's but new my dad wouldnt be happy because were GM all the way, soo I wandered back over to the american side of the lot. spotted 2 2005 liquid silver g6 gt's. 1 couple with 45k, 1 coupe 23k.. took the sedan because of the mileage.

things that caught my eye..
shinny wheels.. my jetta had hubcaps
sunroof
nice stock system
fully loaded besides leather

14k with taxes...
knowing i had the best looking car out of my friends.. priceless

Edit: i left in the pontiac the same day that i went to look
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopetheg6 View Post
knowing i had the best looking car out of my friends.. Priceless

this!

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
knowing i had the best looking car out of my friends.. priceless
x100000000000
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm not going to lie, nothing attracted me to the G6. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I had to get rid of the GTO as it was costing too much to upkeep and my 3rd kid was on the way. A friend of mine recently acquired my now G6 and wanted my then GTO pretty bad. We did an even trade (even though I lost my ass on my 20g's in mods) and blue book value for blue book value, I made four grand on the trade. I know the coupe was not good for seating with a five member family, but the extra 10mpg, the ability to use 87 octane again and the cheaper cost of repairs makes it a better DD for me. Hell, my insurance went down a ton too and I already had no accidents, multi car discount, homeowners discount and I'm 30.

I had originally considered a G6 as a DD to my GTO before I got married, but after I got hitched, my wife let me use her car in crap weather. So I completely forgot about the G6 possibility till now.

Comparing the GTO interior (I had the blue leather interior) to the G6 interior... Well... The G6 is blaaaah, I'm sorry, but it is. Now the exterior, I gotta say they coupe actually looks more aggressive than the stock GTO did. I do also like the electronics better. The factory remote start is awesome, I like that the headlights go on when I turn on the wipers and the iSimple iPod connector is a much better addon option than what I had to do for the GTO to get an iPod in. And I really missed the Pontiac red lighting (the GTO is white and green). The only thing I miss electronic-wise from the goat was my factory Holden blue tooth kit for the phone.

Anyways... With all this, I would definitely recommend a G6 to anyone looking for a good DD.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Sparky

I upgraded from a Grand Am. Had really good luck with GA, very reliable. For the price and included options it was a steal versus any import. I've always been a fan of pontiac's styling too.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 AM

For my wife and me, we decided that it was time to quit being a 2-minivan family and get a "cool" car to drive. The kids are big enough for booster seats instead of full-blown car seats, and they can get in the back of a 2+2 coupe now.

We both were interested in used convertibles, and quickly ruled out all but an Audi A4, a Toyota Solara, and several G6s (rear legroom behind me was the usual disqualifier.) The windshield frame of the Solara blocks my eyesight. The A4 had me staring through the curved part. The G6 was just right.

Add to that that certified models were not too costly, and that we have friends who own a 2009 G6 'vert, and we were sold.

I guess it doesn't hurt that we are sort of Pontiac folks too -- as a married couple, we've owned a '96 Grand Am that my wife got as a college graduation present, the 2002 Montana that we sold, and the 2006 Montana that usually hauls the kids around.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Silver 2006 G6 GTP Coupe

1: Style of 2006 GTP Coupe (clean, no spoilers, scoops)
2: Performance of 2006 GTP coupe (felt like a V-8)

Car still looks great and has great performance - it has never been a disappointment in these two areas..

However, would I have bought one if I could see the future? NO. It has had it's share of what I see as quality problems with sunroof leaks, clunking steering, and a couple of failing emissions items in only 35K miles. If it didn't look and perform so well (including gas mileage) it would have been history for me long ago.

Furthermore, GM chose to kill the Pontiac brand and make my car worth less. Now I have an orphan (and I used to make fun of people who bought Olds). Why GM kept Buick I will never know.

So far I have not had to spend any money on the car outside of routine mainenance, with the exception of an Evap Purge Valve and a can of MAF sensor cleaner - but the problems I have had could have been an expensive nightmare for someone who doesn't work on their own. If it starts being a POS that costs me money, while being a low mile nicely driven creampuff with careful care and maintenance - I'll trade it so fast........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in