HIDs - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

HIDs

Can someone send me a link to some good quality HIDs for a reasonable price. I know some cheap HIDs that start to flicker or one bulb is dimmer than the other, I hate that! lol.

Got a 05 G6. I belive the bulb type is H11 for the low beams and H9 for the high beams... I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 06:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I see a lot of users on the sites that use DDMTuning HID Kits.

http://ddmtuning.com/Product-Categor...hting/HID-Kits

It's $30 for a kit and from what I can gather a lot of people really like it.

I got my kit from ZZPerformance, it works but i paid a bit more money for it.

I did the LOs but i left the HIs as Halogen. Simply because I use my brights a lot and i'm told you shouldn't turn HID lights on and off frequently. It's bad for the ballasts.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

@CruisinG6: Thanks for the link. I'm going to get them from ZZPerformance. And also where did you get your rims from? I love them. Also do you have a 35W or 55W kit?

Last edited by USMC0311; 12-26-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I got a 35w kit, If you look here

You'll see the difference the watts make. Also the 55w bulb will work hotter then a 35w

And yea ZZP sells them as a fog light kit for the cobalt. the H11s at least.

My rims are actually the stock steel rims. I took off the hubcaps and got some new closed-end lug nuts, Painted the rims black and added a red strip in the inside of the lip. So it's not seen all the way around the wheel.

Also if your interested I found on amazon and eBay projector lenses for the G6 so the HIDs will work as they should. Thing is I personally don't like em. haha

Here's a close-up of the wheel

Last edited by CruisinG6; 12-26-2011 at 12:40 PM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about painting mine all black. I like the wheel pattern so i'll probably stick with them for a while. I saw the chart and i'm going with the 35W 6K kit, I was confused for a bit when i went on the ZZP website cuz i did see them for the Cobalt fogs, but they are H11 and for the Hi beams i'm going halogen as well. Do you have a kit for your fogs? and what type of paint, coats and or primer did you use for your wheels? Very clean.

These are the wheels my G6 has.
http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY06582U.jpg
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Not sure if I'm too late with this post, but I just installed my HID kit today and so far I'm very happy with them (knock on wood). I bought a Xentec HID conversion kit off ebay, it was around 33$ with free shipping. I got the 10000k kit but they offer all the different temps as CruisinG6 posted. I haven't experienced any problems with flickering or brightness yet. They're very bright and exactly the color I was looking for. I left my HI's as halogen as well. I'm sure the ones you were thinking about are fine too, just posting my input!
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I don't have factory fog lights, I got an aftermarket kit from walmart that required some modifications like 3 times. haha
Long story short they're just basic flood light bulbs that i put yellow lamin-x over

As for my wheels because they are steel I had to scuff them up, Then a layer of etching primer, Then some light layers of paint until it was even and full. I used all spray paint. I'm pretty sure your wheels are aluminum, but you can still paint them. But I think it has a coat of clear coat over it already. I have a friend who does rim/wheel repair, he may be able to help you out.

I just think you'll need to strip off the clear coat and scuff it up and then you can prime and paint.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

@cswild26: Yea i've purchased the same brand before, for my Civic's that i've owned and other cars i've had as well and they all went bad on me, either they started to flicker, or one bulb will go in & out. I remember once i bought a kit for my EK hatch and the wires burnt!! as soon as i turned my lights on, Note that ive installed HIDs the right way, I've own 16 Hondas/Acuras, so i know my stuff pretty well when it comes to imports. But i don't wanna touch ebay crap anymore. Maybe it depends the type of bulb your using and if it's made the right way, that's just a guess tho.

@CruisinG6: Thank's a lot for all this help, i really appreciate it bro. What will i need to scuff them up and take the clear coat off of them. I've never done rim work to any of my cars ive always bought aftermarket performance wheels w/ tires. I really want to keep this G6 clean, i really like it for a DD. I'm going to post pics of my 2012 Si sedan and G6 later after i get out of work. If your friend can help me that'll be awesome!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Well to strip and scuff the wheel you can use an abrasive pad, or disc on an air tool, basically go all around and get the whole surface done. Then you'll sand it with some 200 grit I think, and then you can paint. I haven't done aluminum wheels myself but heres a how-to link i found

http://www.ehow.com/how_4914001_pain...um-wheels.html

But Personally I wouldn't tackle it myself just because I haven't done those kinds of wheels myself. prep is key they say.
If you want to try my buddy here's his website, http://www.lakecountywheelrepair.com/ I'm sure he'll hook you up and do a good a job. He's the one who did my wheels. but I helped where I could
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Thats dissapointing, hopefully i didnt waste my money on the wrong kit then. Day 2 has went by with no problems, not that a lot normally goes wrong within the first two days though. Ill keep you guys posted on how they play out in the long run, others might be interested to see if they end up working out. Thanks for the heads up man, gives me something to be looking out for.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You may luck out and get a good kit, I don't know how familiar you are with HIDs, but a blown bulb will turn Pinkish, and a blown ballast will leave that bulb simply not working

I've been curious about those DDMTuning kits that I see a lot of people have. $30 seems like a great price, but I wonder about quality
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

cswild26: Yea keep us posted on how they turn out. If you get lucky im gonna be sooo mad hahahaha!!!

CruisinG6: Maybe i should buy mine off DDMT Tuning and keep you guys posted on how they are.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0311 View Post
cswild26: Yea keep us posted on how they turn out. If you get lucky im gonna be sooo mad hahahaha!!!

CruisinG6: Maybe i should buy mine off DDMT Tuning and keep you guys posted on how they are.
I had a DDM kit in my GTO for 4 years without an issue. I have a DDM kit in the G6 now and I'm going to buy another kit for the fogs here on Friday.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I would like to know, because my ZZP kit is starting to have a problem. First problems out of the kit, the light seems to "bounce" You can't see it by looking at the light, but you can see it in the light pattern on the ground. It's odd, seems like the arc is moving around the bulb too much or something. But it could be normal and just noticeable because I don't have projector headlights.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM

can i just replace my regular low beam bulbs with these http://www.ebay.com/itm/8000K-H11-Xe...item23176e2083
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in