G6 GTP or Honda Accord?? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

G6 GTP or Honda Accord??

I'm in the market for a new car since I am finally tired of putting money into my 12 year old audi...looking for something more dependable and cheaper to work on.
This is my first post on this site but was an old member of the GAOC (luckily the same usernames work..lol)

anyway. the two cars

2006 G6 GTP coupe
3.9 V6
46k miles
6-speed
I think it has every option.

2007 Honda Accord EX-L sedan
3.0 V6
29k miles
6speed

Both seem to have very similar creature comforts, leather, sunroof, cd changer, etc...the only difference i know off hand is the honda has heated seats. (which i do love on my audi in the winters)

the Honda is $1.5k more, but is a year newer and lower miles, and the sedan might be more practical

I am mostly worried about the reliability of the G6...i have browsed the forums and saw many problems with the 2006 G6 even under 50k miles.

I know the honda should prove reliable.

I am a former grand am owner and have a soft spot for pontiacs.

Just a little more info...i do like to do modding and tinkering in the garage...but both seem lacking in the aftermarket department.

Any suggestions from your G6 experts would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM

I would take a Pontiac over a Honda any day but sometimes I am thankful if my Pontiac would just start in the morning and gets me from point A to point B without giving me surprises.

If reliability is your prime concern, GM is probably not the best choice IMO.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 AM

No matter which one you choose, you're gonna end up with a nice car. It all depends, do you want practicality (the honda), or do you want the sporty look (the G6). I haven't had any major issues with my 06 G6 (gt trim).
Basically, if you have kids, or plan on having kids. I would go with the honda because car seats are gonna be way easier to get at though a sedan vs a coupe.
Thats what I would think about if I were getting a new car.. Hope it's helpful!

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Both would be about the same like said above. They switched over to the current generation accords in late 07. If I had the choice I'd look or the 3.5 coupe. No idea what their asking prices are though.

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice guys.
i might go look at the G6 one more time before making my decision.

are there any major complaints with the 3.9?

i would really like a new accord with the 3.5 as well, but low miles are out of my price range....i am looking solely for cars under 50k miles to hopefully reduce maintenance costs, well postpone costs anyway
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM

The 3.9 is not a good choice in the reliable factor. The old PR based motors have head gasket issues in the G6s.

There are known cases from the 3.0L in the Accords that came without head gaskets from the factory and they lasted 30K miles before even a drop of oil started to leak out. This issue was fixed awhile back with their initial release but it's just a testament to just how well built those engines were.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead852 View Post
The 3.9 is not a good choice in the reliable factor. The old PR based motors have head gasket issues in the G6s.

There are known cases from the 3.0L in the Accords that came without head gaskets from the factory and they lasted 30K miles before even a drop of oil started to leak out. This issue was fixed awhile back with their initial release but it's just a testament to just how well built those engines were.
haha...well i think you just convinced me
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
GXP

This is a very bias thread, lool ..
Honda, period.
more reliable, saves you $$, and you'll get most your money back if u want to sell later on.
the g6, not so much. As for aftermarket parts, shit loads for honda.

+ vtec kicks ass so.... LOL
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I'm personally a GM guy and really could care less about Honda. BUT as GXP put it. In the long run the accord is probably the better bet, retains it's value a lot better and is likely more reliable.

Also as far as having problems with the cars regardless of miles... what many people seem to forget is the way the previous owner took care of the car. I have a buddy who had an '02 Accord. He drove the snot out of that car, He didn't put very many miles on it, but he trashed that sucker. I saw it after he traded it in and the dealer cleaned it up nicely. But you just never know.

And I don't know why but I just don't really like Honda's, Funny because I was looking at a Civic SI originally but ended up with the G6. Looking back on it... Wouldn't have it any other way.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Owning both the Si and the 07 GTP I gotta say performance wise I was happier with the Si

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Not to sound like a hater or anything, But I would guess the only reason the civic felt better performance wise is because it's lighter and seems to be more "light on it's toe's" as well. Plus with that V-Tech I'm sure things come together a lot differently when you get on it, compared to a G6
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Not to sound like a hater or anything, But I would guess the only reason the civic felt better performance wise is because it's lighter and seems to be more "light on it's toe's" as well. Plus with that V-Tech I'm sure things come together a lot differently when you get on it, compared to a G6
Yes having a 500(give or take) pound difference helps all the way around. However it doesn't feel faster. It is faster. I put just as much power to the ground in my Si as I do my GTP. It also comes with better suspension, lower center of gravity, LSD, and a close ratio 6 speed. The only thing I prefer the GTP over the Si is in comfort, sound, and long drives.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead852 View Post
Yes having a 500(give or take) pound difference helps all the way around. However it doesn't feel faster. It is faster. I put just as much power to the ground in my Si as I do my GTP. It also comes with better suspension, lower center of gravity, LSD, and a close ratio 6 speed. The only thing I prefer the GTP over the Si is in comfort, sound, and long drives.
I'd take comfort, sound, and long drives over quick honda any day. The g6 is pretty quick, and I only have the 3.5. Why drive fast if you can't be comfortable doing it, let alone have to deal with all the loud road noise in the honda. never have been a fan of honda though, even my husband(who drives one) prefers my g6 to his car.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.com App

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
I'd take comfort, sound, and long drives over quick honda any day. The g6 is pretty quick, and I only have the 3.5. Why drive fast if you can't be comfortable doing it, let alone have to deal with all the loud road noise in the honda. never have been a fan of honda though, even my husband(who drives one) prefers my g6 to his car.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.com App
Road noise is negligible between the two. I didn't say the car was uncomfortable. The G6 is just better for long trips and the sound system is better. Out of curiosity what car does your husband drive?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Just an update. The honda sold already.

But I am going to look at an 07 G6 gt sedan 3.9 6 speed this weekend that is 2 grand less than the gtp I was looking at....so I might be back in the pontiac family if it is as good as it looks in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in