Help a Pontiac-er decide! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Help a Pontiac-er decide!

Hey guys, My name is Peter. Currently I am driving a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. A lot of us guys on the grand am forum love our grand ams, and the G6 is basically the follow up of the grand am, and it seems a lot of them are considering the g6 if they ever need to buy another car. My sister wants to buy my car as her first car since a lot of stuff has been replaced (normal wear items) and its gonna be the most reliable bang for her buck being only 16. I don't want her buying something that is going to turn into a money pit so I figure now is my chance to help her out and get myself something new and fancy

I have read a lot of reviews and it seems if I go with a G6 I want to stay away from probably 05-07 as these were the years they were still working out the major kinks. I also noticed we keep many parts for them in stock at advance auto where I work, but I wonder if the parts will always be available?

A lot of the reviews say there's not much room in them which is not what I am after.

My grand am gets about 24 city/highway mix and 32 on just highway. So I am looking for something close to that.

I also love how a g6 with the right options or add ons looks awesome. But I need the help of you guys to help me decide.

Current cars I am deciding on:

2008+ Pontiac G6 gt/gtp/gxp
2008+ Chevy Malibu
2006+ Honda Civic
2010+ Fusion (probably too expensive even at auction)

There are some other cars that are kind of neat but I probably wouldn't buy

Ford Fiesta (sedan, no wagons for me)
Ford Focus (sedan)
Hyundai Elantra (admit it, they are starting to look like a great midclass luxury car)

I may add a few more on but these are my top choices.

Which would you pick and why?

Note I will probably be going to auction for something with about $7500-8000, so its not really price since I will get it at 50-75% of the actual value so I can get something pretty decent. (we got my 2003 grand am in 2008 with 68k miles for $2500, back then the private party value was over $6k)

As I get replies from you guys I will continue reading the "would you buy another g6" thread and see whats up with them. It seems half and half either love it or hate it, so let me know.

Any input is much appreciated!

Last edited by a7xschecter6661; 04-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 PM

I have driven Grand Ams and Malibus. I own an '08 G6 GT. The G6, though a decedent of the Grand Am, is nothing like it. G6 is is quieter, smoother, better handling and all around a much better car.

Not sure why some say there isn't any room, the G6 is huge inside. It has a ton of rear leg room. Which is one reason I chose it. The price is right too with the glut of G6s on the market and people's fear to buy Pontiac.

The Malibu is a very nice car. And very similar to the G6 in many ways. They are on the same chassis and basically have the same room inside. So if mileage is what you are after, go for a newer Malibu with the 6 speed auto tranny. If you want 'cool' and fast, the G6 GT is really nice. But no matter what I do, I can't get over 27 average on the highway. And I do 100 highway miles every day. The 4 speed is partly to blame as well as the GT gearing. The old school V6 has a great exhaust note. The GT comes stock with a great Monsoon sound system.

Honda Civic is a completely different animal with not nearly as much room.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
I have driven Grand Ams and Malibus. I own an '08 G6 GT. The G6, though a decedent of the Grand Am, is nothing like it. G6 is is quieter, smoother, better handling and all around a much better car.

Not sure why some say there isn't any room, the G6 is huge inside. It has a ton of rear leg room. Which is one reason I chose it. The price is right too with the glut of G6s on the market and people's fear to buy Pontiac.

The Malibu is a very nice car. And very similar to the G6 in many ways. They are on the same chassis and basically have the same room inside. So if mileage is what you are after, go for a newer Malibu with the 6 speed auto tranny. If you want 'cool' and fast, the G6 GT is really nice. But no matter what I do, I can't get over 27 average on the highway. And I do 100 highway miles every day. The 4 speed is partly to blame as well as the GT gearing. The old school V6 has a great exhaust note. The GT comes stock with a great Monsoon sound system.

Honda Civic is a completely different animal with not nearly as much room.
My mom had a 2008 Civic SI, that thing was a beast. Not much room in the back seat, but I am not looking for back seat room, I usually only have 1 passenger. Other than that I loved the stick shift, navigation and interior.

I know the G6 is different but its basically the follow up of the grand am. What I mean by that is when the right stuff is done to them (not bone stock without a wing, and steel wheels) they look like a nice sporty car.

Anyways I would love to get a g6/malibu as I think they both look awesome but I have different tastes in colors for the 2 models.

I would love a G6 in white or silver, but I think the only color malibu I like is black (it would get blacked out). Not that color is really going to stop me from buying the "right deal" I just need some reassurance on the g6, I have only ever had 2 customers come into advance for G6 stuff. Which I thought was good, but both of them told me to never buy one.

One couple had to have their whole engine replaced at 53k, and have replaced just about everything on the car. I told them it was probably a bad egg because it was a 2006 and the kinks were still being worked out but they didn't seem to believe it.

Anyways, what I want out of a g6 would be newer/less miles. But mainly I want a 4 door (don't like coupes) with a ram hood and the best gas mileage I can get.

I am more of a 4 cylinder guy because my r6 is my fast vehicle So what would be my best bet for gas mileage and sharp looking? gxp? gtp? gt? or just grab a g6 v6/4 cyl and throw the hood on it?

All in all like you said, I am just looking to get a smoother/quieter and better handling newer car.

Last edited by a7xschecter6661; 04-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM

Garage
well i got a gxp and i can pull like 28 29 highway. but only 17 18 city.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Does your GXP have the 4 or 6 speed transmission?

Higher trim level Malibus all blacked out look great!

Nothing wrong with Civics, just not really the same size as the G6. Not really apples to apples. GT and higher let you manually shift but it is kind of lame since it is still automatic.

My G6 has a 100K bumper to bumper so I am not too worried about something going wrong. Nothing so far. But if you are buying from an auction, can you get a warranty?

My owners manual suggests high octane for the 4 banger. You can use the cheap stuff but it says to get best performance, use 93. So not sure if that makes a ton of cost saving sense when the V6 uses regular gas even though it uses more of it. I had the 2.2 ecotec in a previous life and had nothing but great reliability out of the 135,000 miles I drove it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 PM

Garage
6 speed auto stick. it says we can use 89 octane but 87 is just as good
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Very interested to see if many people actually have problems or not

I would love a g6 with the ram hood like my grand am

Last edited by a7xschecter6661; 04-20-2012 at 05:15 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM

For style, it's the G6 all the way. Nothing looks half as good.

For substance, the 10+ Fusion wins. Drives better and built better.
Second choice would be the 08+ Malibu. Think of it as the G6 version 2.0.

The Civic is a compact economy car. A fair comparison would be the Accord.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslcom View Post
For style, it's the G6 all the way. Nothing looks half as good.

For substance, the 10+ Fusion wins. Drives better and built better.
Second choice would be the 08+ Malibu. Think of it as the G6 version 2.0.

The Civic is a compact economy car. A fair comparison would be the Accord.
That's pretty much what I thought.

The g6 obviously looks the best sport-wise
Malibu is the most classy looking in the right color
the civic is a nice looking sedan with good gas mileage.

I have a friend of my mom looking at what's on his lot.

Only things he has that I would want:

2006 civic with 96k marked at $10,990
2007 G6 with 57k marked at $11,195

He said the G6 is mine for $9500
Waiting on civic price right now, though he said he had more "room to move" on the civic, which is sounding very good!

Though I would much rather have the SI my mom used to have...

probably would have removed the splash decal but it was sharp and fast

Last edited by a7xschecter6661; 04-20-2012 at 01:54 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Finding parts shouldnt be an issue for a G6 since they share the same engines and thus a lot of the parts with other gm vehicles.

If you can find a later year GXP with the 3.6 those things are dirty! I wouldve gotten one but the only thing in my price range at the time was my 06 with the 3.5, which I still love the look of and it drives great!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
From what you have said, here is what I suggest:

1st- 2008 Pontiac G6 sedan w/ v4 engine, sunroof, chrome wheels, spoiler, and foglights. (Heated leather is an awesome feature but it isnt neccesary) You will have a more than decent amount of room in this car. Trust me on this. It is also very quick.

2nd- 2008-09 Chevy malibu lt w/ same options as G6

3rd - 2012 or 13? Kia optima SX Turbo. that car is just win. Optima > Sonata

4th - Just wait for the All new Dodge Dart.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
From what you have said, here is what I suggest:

1st- 2008 Pontiac G6 sedan w/ v4 engine, sunroof, chrome wheels, spoiler, and foglights. (Heated leather is an awesome feature but it isnt neccesary) You will have a more than decent amount of room in this car. Trust me on this. It is also very quick.

2nd- 2008-09 Chevy malibu lt w/ same options as G6

3rd - 2012 or 13? Kia optima SX Turbo. that car is just win. Optima > Sonata

4th - Just wait for the All new Dodge Dart.
Sorry I don't do chrysler lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7xschecter6661 View Post
Sorry I don't do chrysler lol
what about the other choices??

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
what about the other choices??
Not a fan of KIA either.

At the place I was talking about before they gave me 2 decent offers.

2007 Pontiac G6 4 cylinder 57.5k miles, scuff on back bumper (easily repairable), the extreme beginning of rust on the underside lips of the quarters/fenders (probably preventable). Listed on lot at $10,990. My price $9500.

2006 Honda Civic EX 4 door, 5 speed stick. 97k miles. 2 tiny rock chips on hood that are starting to rust (**** new york lol). Listed at $10,990. My price, also $9500 (which is actually cheaper than kelly blue book private party's "good condition" rating.)

I am also starting to look into more of the civics as they definitely have my eye for reliability, parts availability (come on, everybody makes something for these), gas mileage, resale value and looks.

And no, I am not a rice burner guy, I like clean cars

both can be viewed here under inventory

http://www.fivestarautony.com/auto_inventory/
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7xschecter6661 View Post
Not a fan of KIA either.

At the place I was talking about before they gave me 2 decent offers.

2007 Pontiac G6 4 cylinder 57.5k miles, scuff on back bumper (easily repairable), the extreme beginning of rust on the underside lips of the quarters/fenders (probably preventable). Listed on lot at $10,990. My price $9500.

2006 Honda Civic EX 4 door, 5 speed stick. 97k miles. 2 tiny rock chips on hood that are starting to rust (**** new york lol). Listed at $10,990. My price, also $9500 (which is actually cheaper than kelly blue book private party's "good condition" rating.)

I am also starting to look into more of the civics as they definitely have my eye for reliability, parts availability (come on, everybody makes something for these), gas mileage, resale value and looks.

And no, I am not a rice burner guy, I like clean cars

both can be viewed here under inventory

http://www.fivestarautony.com/auto_inventory/
Those sound like great choices. but i would still go with the pontiac. While my opinoin is a little biased (sorry, they are awesome) i just think that the g6 will give you more of an excitement will driving. its also more of a head turner. less miles, and if keeped up its more of a collectible. but these are just my opinoins. and no i dont think your a "Rice Burner". i hate any term that uses the word rice to describe asian cars. its rude and kinda racist. so choose what you want but to me Pontiac > Honda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in