2005 Pontiac G6, starts, but the engine power reduce light come on - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to TheOracle Send a message via Yahoo to TheOracle Send a message via Skype™ to TheOracle
Question 2005 Pontiac G6, starts, but the engine power reduce light come on

Started car and it operated normally, then suddenly the engine powered down and three warning lights appeared, the traction control appreared with a slash, the car with the wrench in it, and the engine light were all solid on the instrument panel. In the message center it showed: "engine power reduced" The response below answered by a GM tech offers the diagnostic assistance, can anyone translate? In the am planning to take it to a mechanic.

Answered by:John
GM FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN

This situation is caused by the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area or inside the IP. Water intrusion into these areas could cause an electrical short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area or inside the IP. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary. Use a water hose to determine the source of a water leak and effectiveness of repair. Some examples of potential water leaks are: A-pillar seals, sunroof drain lines (if so equipped) and windshield/cowl sealing. Finally, repair or replace the IP to body harness connector, making sure no corrosion or debris is left on or between the terminals.

#07-06-04-019A: Intermittent MIL/SES, DTC P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Repair Instrument Panel (IP) to Body Harness Connector)

~ The Oracle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 AM

I have the same problem with my 2005 G6. Twice now I wash my car and later go to start it I get the reduced engine power issue with all the dash lights as described. Try and drive the car and she stalls out. Wait a day or two and the problem seems to go away. I have noticed water on the floor from time to time in the past when it rains real hard but this is arbitrary (does not get wet every time it rains nor after a car wash). So I guess I need to get the sunroof drain (root cause) cleared/repaired and replace the body harness connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in