Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2006 gtp lz9

15K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  1of4885 
#1 ·
Since the 3.9L motors have been around for awhile now, just curious to how reliable they are? I know GM has put them in quite a few cars over the past 6 years, but how are they holding up? Also, are they difficult to work on for service work?

Reason why I ask is I am looking at a 2006 G6 GTP to be a daily driver and it has around 70k miles. The thing is really sharp, but I am a little weary of the LZ9 engine. I have had a couple 3100 and 3800 cars, but this 3.9L engine is new to me. It looks pretty easy to work on as far as normal part replacement (water pump, alternator, spark plugs, ect). Then again anything looks easier than my North* powered Bonneville.

#2 ·
I had an 06 GTP 6 speed that I drove every day. I had very few issues and the ones I had I was able to fix myself thanks to a Haynes Repair manual. I traded it in with 125K miles on it, and it was still running strong on the original clutch. Brakes were my most common replacement. Front rotors warp super easy, my only complaint.

#3 ·
3.9 is about the worst engine you can get in the G6........theres not many people that HAVNT had to have headgaskets replace AT LEAST once at some point or another.....quite a few of them before 30k miles at that....also doesnt get good gasmileage at all if you want a good reliable engine get one with a low mile 3.6 and only use a high quality full syntetic oil...... on occasion the timeing chains have "stretched" when people dont use a good synthetic oil and go by the oil life monitor rather than every 3-5k miles, im at 5k miles on my mobil 1 right now and gonna be changing it tomorrow but the oil life in the DIC still says 78% oil life remaining lol......

#7 ·
Seems to me almost every vehicle GM has built in the past 20 years has crappy headgaskets, especially V6 engines, so thats a given. As far as the 3.6vvt goes, I'm pretty sure the oil has nothing to do with the chain stretching. Any synthetic or syn blend oil will work fine, its to lubricate and cool. Oil does not prevent the timing chain from stretching. Keeping the revs under control might, but not different oil. I drive a Bonneville GXP now, so I'm used to crappy mileage. Over 20 mpg would be great, and a 3.9 should be able to do that just fine.

Thanks for the post everyone! Anything else to know about the LZ9?

#9 · (Edited)
the LZ4 3.5 and LZ9 3.9 are identicle engines with exception to the cranks stroke and a few other things but otherwise same block and heads etc

also havent seen nearly as many HG failures on the 3.9s that make less than 240hp either (convertible, impala etc)

#11 ·
not quite sure anymore i know that used to be the cause but im somewhat thinking a lot of it is due to the iron block and aluminum heads.....disismilar metals will expand and contract at different rates and if the head gasket isnt exactly "GOOD" itll allow seapage which will eventually warp the head IMO..... thats my theory anyway as they dont have any of these problems with their all aluminum engine although the dex cool certainly does leave a nasty film/ corosion in the aluminum engine too :(

#13 ·
I've not heard of widespread head gasket failures on the LZ9. Most of the leakage issues seem to involve the coolant crossover pipe gaskets and the front main seal, neither of which are terminal.

Just an FYI though, the 3.6 (LY7) is a twin-cam engine (with aluminum heads and block) from the "High Feature" engine family. The "High Value" family that the LZ9 belongs to are pushrod engines (aluminum heads and iron block) that dates back to the first 60 degree V6 used in the Chevy Citation and its "X" body siblings. I believe that the LZ9 is the last iteration and even though it's eclipsed by the newer twin-cam designs, it's really quite a capable and willing engine with the VVT that you mentioned and roller rockers. I'm not disappointed in mine at all. Take care and good luck. - Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.