[Q] Going to look at and maybe buy an 07 G6 Conv. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

[Q] Going to look at and maybe buy an 07 G6 Conv.

Is there anything I should know ahead of time or be aware of? Because the car looks very nice and I've kind of fallen in love with it, so I plan to also make an offer tonight for it.

So if anyone can offer advise or anything about it I would be very happy. As it is my bank is also letting me get an extra warrenty on the car with them, so I am trying to cover everything I can before I put down 12k on it.

The only thing it lacks that I wanted was a bluetooth radio in it, are they hard to get installed after market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

From what I've read, stay away from sunroofs. The panoramic sunroof has loads of issues, the regular sunroof sometimes could leak but it's an easy fix. If it has a sunroof and it rained recently, check the floor mats for moisture.

Do you know which engine it has?
And as for an aftermarket stereo, it's not bad and can be done. But can get expensive because of Onstar, if you have it, and the Driver Information Center (DIC) They make a kit to take care of the DIC but it only allows you to run a single din stereo, unless you mount that kit somewhere else, then you can mount a full screen stereo. But it can get expensive.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Well it's a convertible, so I don't believe they put sunroofs into them but I could be wrong. I wouldn't think so since you would just put the top down?

anyway the auto checker said its a Engine: 3.5L V6 SFI. and it's been sold for a good price since the guy is moving to south america, and after meeting with him he seems on the level. Also the car is neat and clean, everything worked and I didn't see any problems but I am also not a car person.

As for a bluetoothed radio, how much are we talking since my budget after buying it at that price leaves me about two thousand for a radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
From what I've read, stay away from sunroofs. The panoramic sunroof has loads of issues, the regular sunroof sometimes could leak but it's an easy fix. If it has a sunroof and it rained recently, check the floor mats for moisture.

Do you know which engine it has?
And as for an aftermarket stereo, it's not bad and can be done. But can get expensive because of Onstar, if you have it, and the Driver Information Center (DIC) They make a kit to take care of the DIC but it only allows you to run a single din stereo, unless you mount that kit somewhere else, then you can mount a full screen stereo. But it can get expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Sorry maybe next time I'll read the entire title haha. Im not sure on prices. You can try crutchfield.com to get an idea.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

No your fine, I honestly didn't know if they would do something that weird or not. Right now he wants 13k but I am sure I can get him to 11k for it and autochecker gave it a 87 on it's score which is above the norm. It has everything I want minus the radio which I am hoping I can just take it to bestbuy for?

Quote:
Sorry maybe next time I'll read the entire title haha. Im not sure on prices. You can try crutchfield.com to get an idea.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You can take it to best buy but they like to charge a lot. Try calling independent shops first. I started working for one a little bit and they always do better on pricing than best-buy, plus you get better service because they actually care about what you think, their business depends on it.

If you get this dash kit, that includes the DIC:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-3303-Vehicles-Integrate-Diagnostics/dp/B000G7SGO4.

And a quality bluetooth headunit. This one here is what we sell that has bluetooth. There are plenty of others to choose from though:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1306400...T.html?tp=5684

So doing it yourself, with getting the wiring harness as well it'll run you around $300. You can give shops a call and see what they'll quote you. Of course you can also get a cheaper headunit or shop around for better prices. This just gives you an idea.
Here's a pic I found that shows what ends up looking like.

You can get a nice double dinn and end up wth something like this:

But those double dins are more expensive as it is.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Okay my inner geEk must know what that last one is and how much because it's soooo neat.

Quote:
You can take it to best buy but they like to charge a lot. Try calling
independent shops first. I started working for one a little bit and they always do better on pricing than best-buy, plus you get better service because they actually care about what you think, their business depends on it.

If you get this dash kit, that includes the DIC:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-3303-.../dp/B000G7SGO4.

And a quality bluetooth headunit. This one here is what we sell that has bluetooth. There are plenty of others to choose from though:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1306400...T.html?tp=5684

So doing it yourself, with getting the wiring harness as well it'll run you around $300. You can give shops a call and see what they'll quote you. Of course you can also get a cheaper headunit or shop around for better prices. This just gives you an idea.
Here's a pic I found that shows what ends up looking like.

You can get a nice double dinn and end up wth something like this:

But those double dins are more expensive as it is.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM

I found an amazing pioneer double din at my local custom sounds for $400. It was loaded as also had the option for back up cam. It was a cd/DVD/Sirius/navigation/Bluetooth. Also if you have a smart phone you could "bump" apps to it. So that opened the door to use Netflix and games and whatever other app... I'll have to find the name of it. But definitely aftermarket is doable for under 2k

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Make sure the top works smoothly up & down (and the door windows index properly), check for leaks, make triple sure your warranty covers the convertible unit, do an overall inspection of the usual car stuff, then pay the cash & enjoy

BTW a slight tinge of skepticism arises when you say the guy is moving to South America...just seems a bit unusual and somewhat similar to some popular scam stories, so be careful of all that. Since you've actually seen the car for yourself you :should: be OK

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I am the same, I am veing very careful with him since he said that but the car checks out good and safe. But it's still like we are both pointing guns at each other yelling same time bitch, same time back and forth. He thinks I am going to rip him off and so on.

But the warrenty will cover the car bumper to bumper so that's good and I got a car for 12.5. I am going to finish the deal tonight and then get it cleaned out good, the car could use a good vaccuming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop Diamond View Post
Make sure the top works smoothly up & down (and the door windows index properly), check for leaks, make triple sure your warranty covers the convertible unit, do an overall inspection of the usual car stuff, then pay the cash & enjoy

BTW a slight tinge of skepticism arises when you say the guy is moving to South America...just seems a bit unusual and somewhat similar to some popular scam stories, so be careful of all that. Since you've actually seen the car for yourself you :should: be OK
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

My problem right now is every unit I find at bestbuy (using it to just window shop) is the wrong size or won't fit, at least the guide they have say it won't fit in my car and it's getting annoying. I really like the one he has in, in the picture above and would love something like that in mine. Does anyone know what it's called or where to find one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
I found an amazing pioneer double din at my local custom sounds for $400. It was loaded as also had the option for back up cam. It was a cd/DVD/Sirius/navigation/Bluetooth. Also if you have a smart phone you could "bump" apps to it. So that opened the door to use Netflix and games and whatever other app... I'll have to find the name of it. But definitely aftermarket is doable for under 2k

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I think bestbuy's website just sucks, On crutchfield I found a bunch of those Double din's that fit the G6 convertible. You can find one you like and search that model number elsewhere to try and save money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in