Where did you guys start learning? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Where did you guys start learning?

Okay so this is my second car, I'm 18 and just started my first year of college. I found out, when I got my G6 and started putting in my new headlights, that I really enjoy working on my own car and modifying it. I admit I'm just now starting to learn about stuff. I don't know anything really about under the hood. More about lighting and that stuff. I was wondering where you guys learned your way around a car! This might seem like a dumb question and whatnot but knowledge is power they say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Legend

Garage
ill go ahead and be the first response lol my 6 is my 3rd vehicle i drove on the road but ive had 4. im 23 now started working on cars around 15. my first endeavor was the stereo system and that's been the first thing i tackle first on all my vehicles. gotta start somewhere and in my first i learned the hard way. since i knew next to nothing about them i didn't know about a wiring harness and just hacked off the factory one and wired it to the aftermarket one straight up. had to get a manual for the wires to know what they were and everything lol like i said have to start somewhere. now i like to consider myself very well versed in wiring as ive messed with so much of my electrical system in my 6 and haven't had it blow up yet lol as for performance just started that in my last vehicle which was an 00' Galant but not much. i know a lot more now from reading all over lots of different forums. as far as appearance wise i just started with my 6. never taken and reassembled things on my vehicle so much lol also i never cared about the aesthetics before that much either. so the 6 has been a big experience in interior modification but its fun and coming along well. thats good for now lol a little blurp about my car history but not much lol

-J

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM

pretty much all of my knowledge comes from the internet...I still dont know very much about cars but I know enough to get by. My motto is if you have a question google it first. 99/100 times you will find the answer or at least gather some information on it so when you do actually ask a question or encounter an issue you know a little bit about it first. my goal is to know a little bit about everything. that way you look smart as hell talking to people haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The G6 is my second vehicle, first being a 93 Cutlass Supreme, I loved that car. But I've always been into it and wanted to learn, I was really big into bicycles before I got into cars. I took two years of Automotive Service at a Technology Campus that works with the high school I was in. Those 2 years taught me I love doing it as a hobby, but not as a job...

Well a few years down the road and I'm currently working as a tech, doing anything from oil changes and brake jobs, to installing stereos and remote starts and such. Pretty much anything, the shop will do it all, so that means I will too. haha

All in all I think I'm only a few hours away from meeting the requirement to get ASE certified, that is if I took the exam. I've taken the practice exam and passed with flying colors, I knew I was good enough then and never pursued the certification.

Somewhere in the middle there I got certified as a pharmacy tech. Crazy how things turn around.
Went from wanting to be a mechanic to working as a bagger and eventually moving into the pharmacy, Quit that for a better job with a company that ended up doing very poorly and I got laid off. So I fell back on car work. And in all honesty It's taking the passion out of it and making me not love cars as much anymore. Working on cars all day leaves me no time nor motivation to tinker with my car, All the fun is gone haha oh well life moves on!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
The G6 is my second vehicle, first being a 93 Cutlass Supreme, I loved that car. But I've always been into it and wanted to learn, I was really big into bicycles before I got into cars. I took two years of Automotive Service at a Technology Campus that works with the high school I was in. Those 2 years taught me I love doing it as a hobby, but not as a job...

Well a few years down the road and I'm currently working as a tech, doing anything from oil changes and brake jobs, to installing stereos and remote starts and such. Pretty much anything, the shop will do it all, so that means I will too. haha

All in all I think I'm only a few hours away from meeting the requirement to get ASE certified, that is if I took the exam. I've taken the practice exam and passed with flying colors, I knew I was good enough then and never pursued the certification.

Somewhere in the middle there I got certified as a pharmacy tech. Crazy how things turn around.
Went from wanting to be a mechanic to working as a bagger and eventually moving into the pharmacy, Quit that for a better job with a company that ended up doing very poorly and I got laid off. So I fell back on car work. And in all honesty It's taking the passion out of it and making me not love cars as much anymore. Working on cars all day leaves me no time nor motivation to tinker with my car, All the fun is gone haha oh well life moves on!
yeah where i live i had that option too, but i wanted to make the last few years of highschool i had left fun. so i didn't go, i kind of wish i would have just to know the ins&outs of cars, life goes on ha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea, I gave up the option to graduate early. But I really enjoyed working on the cars and learning everything about them. Well worth it in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in