G6 convertible questions - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

G6 convertible questions

Hey everyone...

A G6 convertible caught my eye recently and I have been thinking about making it my own, but I have a few questions about it. The car in question is a 2008 with about 70k on it.

First of all, the top. Doing a bit of reading on forums such as this and it sounds like everyone has problems with their top at some point during ownership, usually several times. I don't know if this is a vocal minority just doing a lot of online complaining or if repeated top problems are a given, but I'm curious if there's anyone out there who has had one for a while and never had an issue with the top. Not that I never expect to have a problem, I'm not that naive, but I also don't expect to have to take it into a shop every other month either.

I looked at the Carfax on the car and see an incredible amount of visits to the local GM dealers. Looks like most of the problem areas I've read about were taken care of (exhaust system replaced, intermediate shaft replaced) but there are several entries referring to "trim adjustment" or "interior trim adjusted". Of course it doesn't specify which trim piece, so I'm wondering (again with the top) if that's how GM refers to the folding hardtop?

I'm pretty tall at 6'4" and with the top up my hair was touching the headliner, but I didn't really play around with the seat all that much to see if there was a better position. Can anyone around my height confirm if there is indeed more headroom available with the right seat position?

I did take it for a couple test drives and all things considered it is a nice car, but I'm still a little apprehensive about that top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
07 SILVER GT CONVERTIBLE

I have a 07. Have 140,000 k on it. I have replaced exhaust withGTR as resonator failed twice. Never had any top issues ( knock on wood).Still love the car and plan to keep it for some time.by the way I'm 6' 3" my seat lowers plenty for me.

2007 GT CONVERTIBLE 3.9, CRABS 3 c/w FPU,RACINGLINE STB,PAINTED CALIPERS,CROSS DRILLED ROTORS,PAINTED ENGINE COVER RECESSED LOWER GRILLS,CARAID INTERIOR TRIM KIT,PERIPHERAL iPHONE STREAMING AUDIO,GTR EXHAUST,RACINGLINE MMI(STREET)

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Recently (July 2013) bought a 2007 G6 Conv. It only had 17000 miles when i got it. I absolutely LOVE this car. Have had no issues with it so far; not that I would expect to with the low mileage.

The only thing that bugs me is when putting the top up or down, the trunk seems to "stick" and then release with a loud clunking sound. It works fine, it just doesn't seem very smooth to me.

I did replace the outer tie rods and the sway bar end links since the bushings on all 4 of them were pretty much shot. I upgraded to the heavy-duty Moog fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Have had a 2007 Convertible since June this year. 96k miles on the clock so has been around a bit. I had my first problem with the top this weekend (micro switch), but armed with posts from this site and others I have fixed it myself. To my mind it is the hard top convertible that makes this car a joy to drive. Very happy with my choice.

Not as tall as you at 6', but have no problems with he top up or down. I prefer a slightly reclined position which reduces any headroom impact. Good luck with your decision.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Unfortunately, for as much as I liked the car, due to financing I had an unfortunate gap between what I was able to pay and the minimum they would sell the car for which the dealer would not budge on. Although they reduced the price a week after I first looked at it, they refused to go any lower. And as my current car was barely running and rapidly leaking everything except brake fluid, I had to do something sooner rather than later.

So, no G6 convertible. The car I got is nice enough I guess, but once the weather warms up a bit I'm going to really wish for that retractable roof.

Again, thank you for all your replies, hopefully they will prove useful for future prospective owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in