WTB (looking for) G6 'Vert 3.5L vs 3.9L? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

WTB (looking for) G6 'Vert 3.5L vs 3.9L?

Hello all, new member here, but old GM product user. My household currently has 2 black Impala SSs ('04/'05 mine and son's) , '04 Diesel 2500HD crew cab for 5th wheel hauling, and my wife's '08 HHR SS with the great turbo 2.0L. I've done quite a few mods on my 3.8L S/C engine up to and including intercooling, but now has well over 150K miles (but still going strong).

My wife has told me now is the time, prior to her possible early retirement in a couple years, to get a new "fun" car. I love convertibles, I also have a couple of early 60s era Corvair 'verts in my stable (too much work to get running). My search landed me in G6 after deciding the Solstice was a bit small for my 6' 3" and lack of trunk space.

So, from what I've read, the 3.5L appears to be the better engine based on MPG and not much gain going to 3.9L performance wise, and a fairly big loss in MPG with the 3.0L. Opinions?

I like that Milzy Motorsports has "some" performance stuff for this 3.5L engine. I also have HPtuners which I'm pretty sure handles the G6s (I just need more credits).

Any other buying advice? Like if you where to buy one again, you would get one with: X. For me that might be heated seats or the multi-speaker Monsoon system.

Thanks. Also member of HHR, GrandPrix (3.8L common engine to Impala), Impala forums (with same user name).

Last edited by TallTexan; 06-04-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: More stuff to add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

I love my 3.5L engine. They are tough and really do pull pretty good when you get on it. Not like the 3800 SC but enough. Im still waiting on an email from Milzy about possible Cam, and heads for the LZ4 3.5L so hopefully there is some good news from them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks wizard for the reply. After some more reading Wiki for G6, the '07+ the 3.5L got VVT and HP went up almost 25 to 224 which is close to the factory HP of my S/C 3.8L's 240. But of course, I've looked at the 0-60 times, and the G6 'vert is much slower. So I'm guessing that a '07+ is better for a 'vert and with the 3.5L engine?

I've also been looking at problem areas on these G6s. Sounds like the intermediate shaft is one (Impalas have this problem too). Do I understand brakes on these need more frequent replacement? We had an older, 1999 Malibu at one time that also went thru brake pads all too frequently. I'll have to do some more reading and see if there is a swap to bigger/better setup.

I only wish these later GM V6 engines didn't change up so often as to not have much in the way of engine performance parts. As some of you might know, the 3.8L has lots because of the number of cars it was in and total number produced. This means several aftermarket companies like ZZPerformance, WBody, Intense, and Milzy offering performance parts. The 3.8L is also very reliable (once you change out the factory intake manifold gaskets). Wonder if one could swap it into the G6? Off to do some more reading here (and at your rival forum: G6Performance).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM

If you want to use your HP Tuners on the G6 just don't pick up the 3.5 liter with the LX9 engine code since it won't work. The LZ4 3.5 liter and all other engines work with it though...

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM

The LZ4 is a pretty rock solid motor. as far as brakes go, you can do a brembo upgrade. theshiddykumquat has pics of it in his progression i believe. Its the upgrade from a cobalt ss but also fits the g6. And i replaced my brakes all the way around a year and a half ago and i still have smooth solid braking with well over half the brake pads left (20,000 miles on them so far). as far as the intermediate shaft is concerned, my passenger side is original with 94,000 miles and still going strong. the driver side one was replaced due to human error while working on suspension parts (oops)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
.Any other buying advice? Like if you where to buy one again, you would get one with
well for me, I love my 3.5L G6 GT Coupe. Since I crave this very badly, the only thing I would do is get the 6 spd manual GTP coupe. Even though it's the 3.9L, I would love to have a manual G6

2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Blacked-out Emblems and Grilles | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABS Op. 3 + FPU | Eibach Lowering Springs | OBX Exhaust

COMING NEXT: 25mm Wheel Spacers | Racingline Strut Bar & MMI's | and possibly the AIT Front Bumper
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 PM

if your pockets are deep enough, http://www.milzymotorsports.com/6-sp...body-vehicles/ only thing you dont need in the kit are the transmission mounts. Other than that, completely plug and play since its the transmission from the gtp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in