Possible G6 GT purchase. Got a few questions - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Possible G6 GT purchase. Got a few questions

Found a white 4 door G6 GT for around $4500 with about 110k miles on it. I told the guy that owns it that I may be interested. Only problem is that I was under the impression that they were all pretty quick little cars. That is until I got to looking around on the internet and saw some of the performance numbers for the earlier models. The guy wasnt at home and hasnt messed with the car in a while so he's not sure what model it is. Only knows that it's a V6. What markings or features do these cars have that let you distinguish say a 2005 model from an 09 model or other models? I noticed it was automatic with the sportomatic style shifter. Just had an M for manual and a D for drive. Also had the factory polished wheels.

I realize this is a very vague post and I'm not giving you anything to go by really. Sorry about that. I didnt notice any Flex-Fuel emblems or anything like that on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Possible G6 GT purchase. Got a few questions

Let's just make this clear: the G6 isn't a racecar. If you want a racecar, go with an Eclipse GSX, WRX STi, 240sx, that sort of thing. If you want a family car that is comfortable and can get up and go, then a G6 is a good route to go.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I didnt make that clear in the original post. I already have a 94 Z28 with 400 RWHP. I would however like a car that can be daily driven, reliable and get in the 14's with bolt ons. And still get 25-30 MPG. Which is the preferred motor in these G6 GT's? Seems like the 3.6 and 3.9 are the fastest but I havent been able to do a lot of research on them just yet. BTW thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 01:22 PM

I've heard the 3.9 has a few problems. I would go with the 3.6, which is exclusively in the GXP models. If you want any bolt ons whatsoever, I wouldn't go with a G6. There's jack crap for bolt ons for the G6. Of course there's basic stuff like a cold air intake, but that's about it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0M1NIX View Post
I've heard the 3.9 has a few problems. I would go with the 3.6, which is exclusively in the GXP models. If you want any bolt ons whatsoever, I wouldn't go with a G6. There's jack crap for bolt ons for the G6. Of course there's basic stuff like a cold air intake, but that's about it.

I can't go with the 3.6. The car I'm looking at is a GT not a GXP. Remember? lol
I thought I read somewhere that you can get aftermarket headers for them and have them tuned?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 AM

The VIN would really help you know what year it is and what option packages it has. :P
Sorry but the G6 is very similar across the years it was made. Pretty much whats on the back of the trunk is how you tell the difference, V6, GXP, GTP, spoiler/no spoiler etc. If its got the manu-shift then its most likely a V6 w/6spd tranny.
Also there is very little after market stuff for it unlike your Camaro. If you're looking for a tuner car then i'd keep on looking because there is practically nothing aftermarket for these cars. Its essentially an Australian Holden Vectra with a few tweaks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Yep, +1 for VIN check. It will be really easy to find out what's goin on under the hood. A side note, My wife has a 07 GT with the 3.5 and a 4-speed tranny that also has the manual shift option. So it is not specific to the 6-speed.

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in