Shopping for a G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Shopping for a G6

Hey guys, shopping for a G6 so thought I'd join this forum for info about them. Needing a car to commute to work and was considering a Camry or something along those lines, but going up a GM guy in a GM family I just can't do it. I came across a G6 at a car lot and started looking more into them. Got my eye on an 07' and an 08' at the moment. They're both standard models, nothing fancy, with similar mileage. Is there any difference between the two yrs? Only thing I've noticed so far is that the 08' has an aux input on the stock radio and the 07' doesn't. Hate the fact that the dic is integrated into the radio by the way. Anything particular I should keep a look out for while looking at the G6's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Shopping for a G6

I would look out for the 3.9 engine because I've heard it has a few problems, one being the head gasket IIRC. The best engine to get in a lower-trim G6 that provides some get-up and gets decent MPG's is the 3.5, but the 2.4 is best for fuel efficiency. The best engine in the G6 family is the 3.6, which is only in the GXP's, because it provides a good mix of power, torque, and MPG's. Not to mention the 3.6 in the G6 has the exact same block that's found in V6 Camaros.

There aren't any differences between '07 and '08 models, granted they're the same trim level, besides the radio auxiliary input. You can't do anything about the CD player except get a new head unit.

Last edited by D0M1NIX; 07-11-2014 at 11:08 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 03:17 AM

The 3.9 and the 3.5 are basically the same engine other than displacement. Therefore, the 3.5 suffers gasket problems as well. Brakes, suspension, and steering problems are also common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 07:57 AM

My wife has a 07 gt with the 3.5. Just had the head gasket replaced last year. Regarding the 3.6 it was also used in the GTPs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshinall View Post
My wife has a 07 gt with the 3.5. Just had the head gasket replaced last year. Regarding the 3.6 it was also used in the GTPs.

Show me an example of a 3.6 in a GTP. The 3.6 is a GXP-exclusive engine.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I looked at a Saturn Aura XR that has the 3.6. I really liked it, but more $$$$ than I wanted to spend for a commuter car. Going to look at the 07 tomorrow.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:22 AM

I don't have a gtp so I did a web search.

http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/g6/20...tyle=100727151

---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:28 AM

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Pontiac-G6...r_Sedan/specs/

---
...still working...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM

My understanding is that the GTP was the predecessor to and replaced at some point with the GXP but was really only fascia changes. Engine and transmission carried over to the GXP.

Oh, and Sonders, yeah that Aura XR is pretty slick. I see a lot of them around. I love my GXP but I would drive an Aura XR.

---
...still working...

Last edited by mshinall; 07-12-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Well the 07' I was going to look at ended up being a flop today. Talked to the owner a few times throughout the week and he was telling me how nice it was and had no issues. Now today he tells me he's been having an issue with the brakelights staying on the whole time the car is on and he had a shop fix it earlier in the week but it's still doing it. So that made me leary to have to chase that issue down and wondered what else he didn't tell me. So I passed on it.

I found an 05' the other day that I want to go back and test drive tomorrow. Wasn't 05' the first year for the G6? I've always been hesitant to buy a vehicle in it's first production year.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 AM

I believe you're right about 05 being the first year. Regarding the break light issue. Lots of folks have had problems like that and I believe GM has a recall on it. I think most folks on here had good luck with cleaning and adding dielectric grease to the BCM harness located under the passenger side kick panel of the center console. Look around the forums and you'll see more info and a how to, if you're interested.

---
...still working...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

The guy called me back this morning saying he got the issue fixed, so may still check it out later in the week. Going to check out an 02' Malibu with the good ole 3.1 and low miles in the meantime. I've had a few cars with the 3.1 and it always seemed like a good platform. The 3.5 I've never had any experience with. Still shopping.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 PM

I'd get the G6 over the Malibu any day.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 PM

^ Agreed

---
...still working...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Now what are you basing your choice off of guys? I just need something cheap and reliable to commute to work in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in