Have I made a big mistake?? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Have I made a big mistake??

I bought my 06 convertible with 71k miles a few months back. Love the car and have had no problems at all. But all I see on here and Facebook are people talking about things going wrong with their cars. Is there anyone out there who has a relatively trouble free G6. I've already owned one money pit ( 99 Jaguar XK8 convertible ) and don't want another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbirdtuck View Post
I bought my 06 convertible with 71k miles a few months back. Love the car and have had no problems at all. But all I see on here and Facebook are people talking about things going wrong with their cars. Is there anyone out there who has a relatively trouble free G6. I've already owned one money pit ( 99 Jaguar XK8 convertible ) and don't want another.
I have an 08 g6 gt i bought at 82k for $9700 , at 92k her tranny went out $1700, at 100k she sprung a leak from the oil pressure sender unit$400,and today at 109412 miles her engine started knocking and she stalls when you push the gas $????, but after this what can really go wrong. im looking forward to many more years
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 AM

I've got a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT with 113k miles on it and it's been relatively trouble free. I have to replace the cats, sometimes I have starting issues (I just give it a little gas and it starts up which makes me think it's the injectors), my 6 disc changer died but this is a very common problem, and I've had a shake in my front end that I just can't figure out (new rims, tires, rotors, outer tie rods, nothing is broken) but I've had that since I got it from the stealership and I believe someone hit something with the car and I'm just too cheap to have a $70/hr mechanic look at it.

My battery has some strange drain issue where if I don't drive the car for a few days it will die. I believe that is because of my HIDs though. Otherwise *knock on wood* it's been a good car. I still love it as much as the day I bought it and I'll run this beast until it's dead. Just need to fix the dent in the door from a rogue shopping cart and a little bit of rust near the lower rear quarter panel.

I'm hard on it but I take good care of it, I've gotten the tranny flushed and filled, flushed and filled the coolant, I've been using synthetic Mobil 1 5-30 since I bought it (literally changed the oil the first day), replaced the plugs and wires, and replaced the serpentine belt. I LOVE that almost everything is fixable in the car, some parts are expensive and don't last though, like the lights in the stupid steering wheel audio controls. I'm tempted to yoink them out and solder in my own LED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:53 PM

I bought my 07 G6 3.5 sedan new in Oct.06. It now still has only 83K on it and if they made them now I would not buy another one. 50K had to replace Coolant Crossover gaskets 55k had to replace water pump and radiator. changed sway bar links at 40k plus 3-4 recalls to be repaired. Just installed 4th set of brakes all the way around( my wife and I are in our 50's and don't beat the car and it just eats brakes. Now the radiator has gone bad again. Needs sway bar bushings in front replaced Rear defroster has stopped working(fuses and relay are good) front speakers are shot and don't work at all radio doesn't work properly. Gas mileage not near what is expected. If it were totaled today I sure wouldn't be looking to replace it with another one like it. Just my 2 cents
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Smile Good and Bad

Quote:
All cars have different issues. Some are golden and some are just a POS

Mine has been real good I've had it almost a year now purchased in April 2015
had 93000 on it now has 94500 so I do not drive it very much. I love it. It's a my no.3 car. My everyday ride 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel. My other 2010 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel. So at the end of the day Mine just requires normal maintenance that all car's need. I am now retired from the auto parts business. I've sold parts for 35 years and
things like brakes / shocks / leaks / radiator's / that go bad happens on all cars. Ford Trucks do not use a 6.0L / 6.4L diesel any more for a lot of reasons. Dodge trucks are known to have brake problems. Chevy Trucks have Pitman / Idler Arm problems. So just understand what kind of car you have. It's a Saturn / Chevy Malibu. It's not a bad car. I wouldn't make mine an every day driver. it's way to old. I am slowly restoring it. So enjoy it

2007 G6 GT Hardtop Convertible AT. 3.9L all options
Liquid Silver 2nd Owner
Other Rides 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 04:08 AM

Bought the 08 Value Leader in 07,2 minor things,cam sensor & gas vapor purge valve,so around $350 in repairs,not counting the usual tires,battery,brakes etc.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I have an 05 I bought new in 05. It has 197K....I drove it today.
Normal wear and tear issues but drives and handles great.
Pretty trouble free. For now!! ha haa.....Im not sure why I threw that disclaimer in there.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:

That's what you will primarily see, yes. People who have a problem free ride won't go looking for solutions. Forums and social media in general allows owners to speak out about their car problems.

Or, if you're searching for aftermarket performance know how, or info on upgrading parts in general, those owners often join the forum with a reliable ride.

Hence why you'll read more about problems on the forums. Don't forget most Pontiacs are old (or aging gracefully), and do develop problems as the miles pile on.

You might notice how people tend to complain about needing brakes early (as an example), and say the car isn't reliable. Only they fail to realize they drive an automatic with both feet. Essentially, those are not car people, which the forums attract in droves. The car people who are well versed in their ride often assist these people with their 'problems'.

Essentially there is no vehicle that is more reliable than the next. It's all about due diligence with regular maintenance. In most cases you get what you pay for.

My 06 GT just had a new intake manifold installed as it wouldn't pass emissions. It cost $800 but it's also ten years old with 70K mostly city miles. To me, considering the age of the car that is now a regular maintenance item. Once every ten years = not bad. The car might only have a few years left as I live in the salt/snow region of Ontario, but overall it is holding up well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM

I have a 2010 with 95k miles, been mostly trouble free. Had to replace the fuel pump due to a gasket leak, but other than that mostly basic stuff.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
You might notice how people tend to complain about needing brakes early (as an example), and say the car isn't reliable. Only they fail to realize they drive an automatic with both feet.
My 06 GT just had a new intake manifold installed as it wouldn't pass emissions. It cost $800 but it's also ten years old with 70K mostly city miles. To me, considering the age of the car that is now a regular maintenance item. Once every ten years = not bad.Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree with most of what you said. However, consistent warped brakes only happened on my GM cars, not others. Even though I drive all my cars the same way. Also, a new intake manifold should not be a regular maintenance item on any ten years old car with only 70k miles. None of my other cars require this.
Having said that, no cars are completely trouble free. The question is not whether the G6 is a good car. But rather is the G6 a good car compared to others in its class. In that sense, I would rate the G6 slightly below average in terms of quality, reliability, and performance. But above average in terms of style and driving feel.
Jaguar certainly is not known for its reliability, but very few can beat it in terms of style and character.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 08:24 AM

I'm in same boat.. kind of a supr of the moment purchase combined with I needed to replace my GTO. I AM a hands on guy and do most my own work. So to me its a matter of how hard is it to repair and is it often. If it needs rotors and pads more regularly than other cars, so be it.. easy fix and parts at rockauto are cheap.

I'm curious more as to typical failures.. i.e. radiator tanks go bad, and you might as well get a all AL replacement ( Had that issue in GTO ).

My motor is a 3.5L and I have noticed is a slight oil burning smell.. saw something in the forum about a oil sending unit failure ? Where should I look and how hard is the repair ? Funny thing.. is the GTO ALSO has a issue with bad oil pressure sending units. But they are easy to get to.

Also as I got a 07 convertible.. curious as to failure rates of the top and how hard is it to repair.

Noticed on my car fax they replaced this cars BOM at about 30K was that a recall issue ? or was it a common problem they had to fix ( Again GTOs had a issue with that too mainly due to wiring harness getting cut by pinch weld) )

But at $7600 for a 64000 original mile car can't complain.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:36 AM

With any vehicle, car, truck, doesn't matter, regular maintenance is key. Buying a car off of a mechanic that he's owned for years is often the worst purchase. The mechanic hears a noise, says he knows what it is, and keeps on driving it knowing it won't cause immediate harm and thus the repair can wait. Often people don't realize the symptoms of a dragging caliper unless they've dealt with it first hand, or to know to check the oil after a long drive, if they're only used to driving short distances and put checking the fluids low on the priority list.

99% of parts are shared between manufacturers. In terms of brakes, rotors and pads differ in size, but the material is made up of similar compounds. Taking into account vehicle weight, where GM vehicles are often lighter for their size when compared to Ford or Dodge. This is often offset by larger braking surface so the 60-0mph braking remains on par with the competition in the respective size class.

Problems with my 2006 G6 GT since new include:
1. speaker failure, screw wasn't fastened securely at the factory, dealer needed 3 days to repair due to the sound system work being outsourced by a third party.
2. Sloppy steering, first noticed in 2010 with not even 30K miles on the car. Steering wouldn't return to centre either. Dealer replaced electric motor and it was fine until 2012, but then the heft increased when turning the wheel.
3. Stitching came out of the back seat below the cushion by the foot area after the initial warranty. I left it alone as the back seat isn't used much.
4. Panel to the right of the drivers footwell came loose (velcro decided to stop working) and no longer adhere's to the side of the console area so I now keep the piece in the trunk. I tried to tape it but it seems in the winter months, the excess heat from the floor vents makes the tape come right off.
5. Transmission manual shift. Was told I need a whole new TCM to be able to shift manually. Noticed it around 2010 when out for a Sunday drive. Put it into manual mode at a stop, started to accelerate, attempted to shift, and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. This is one of the few things that drew me to the GT model - and now it doesn't function without spending four figures on a repair (Canadian prices eh).

Again, I don't look at brakes, tires, shocks, etc, as to derate a vehicles performance because of abnormal wear. All drivers are different and my G6 has 4 different drivers using it throughout the week. I do most of the maintenance myself, within reason, and as the car primarily sees city driving having a set of brakes that last 50K miles is fairly decent for constant stop and go driving. It's also good to note that each year traffic indeed gets worse, congestion builds, adding the wear and tear to a vehicle.

As long as you follow the fluid change intervals, or the scheduled maintenance guide, the vehicle should last you quite a while before a major component gives you trouble. Changing fluids before they are due to get changed will increase the reliability of the vehicle. However, after saying that, I often go two years on an oil change with my 3.5L GT. I run Amsoil full synthetic, and the car only sees 8-10K miles a year - if that. After a full year, I analyzed the oil and it came back with 71% life remaining with no real signs of metal or minerals in the oil. So not only is my engine still tight, but I can go another year on the oil saving costs. After the last oil change, just shy of two full years, I still had 32% oil life remaining and all metals were still well within the safe operating limitations.

My old Dodge 5.9L ate oil, and it needed a change every 4K miles due to blow by contamination in the oil. My old 3.0L V6 in the '99 Taurus was a tight engine as well, but as I drove it more it needed an oil change at the 20K mile mark and I had to shorten it as the miles piled on due to wear and tear. managed to get 328K miles out of that car.

My current distance cruiser, 200 3.6L, also only gets one oil change a year as it's still under its powertrain warranty so I have to abide by the yearly change interval through Amsoil - who has their own warranty.

To put things into persective. My 3 year old 200 has had almost as many problems as the G6 has in a time period three times longer.

200 issues:
1. Power passenger seat adjustment motor failed. Dealer replaced under warranty.
2. Instrument cluster back light continuously flashing when on. Multiple visits, over a week at the dealer in total for two full cluster replacements and one electronic module replacement that controlled the LED back lights.
3. Harsh transmission shifts, would sometimes downshift 2-3 gears at a time or upshift 2-3 gears at a time if I let off the accelerator abruptly once up to cruising speed. Shifts were so harsh my coffee would spill out over top my shifter or worse, on my clothes.
4. Slow transmission shifts. When climbing a grade, I had to manually take off cruise control as it wouldn't downshift to maintain speed when climbing hills. I had to push the pedal to the floor, where there would be a solid 2-3 second pause before a downshift, in which case the transmission would drop to the lowest possible gear. A second transmission flash at the dealer did eventually solve this issue, but the hard shifts still remain to this day.
5. Rear brakes were replaced at 38K. Again, this is due to other driver error leaving the parking brake engaged...rotors also required replacement.
6. Multiple recalls performed over the last year and a half, from head restraint issues, to an engine flash. 3.5 days at the dealer in total. Rental was at least provided for this.

So, you can see the difference between a 10 year old car, and a 3 year old car. I'm not the only one getting similar issues with my 200. My G6 still rides better, and is less harsh over potholes, etc. The 200 is much quieter on the highway - where it lives, and despite the 283hp engine, gets 30-32mpg highway - better than the G6.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 PM

I bought my '05 in January of 2012 with 120,000 miles. Now, almost 4 years later, it has 162,000 miles. I really enjoy the car. I have had very few issues with it. The single disc CD player didn't work when I bought it (didn't really bother me so I never fixed it). It needed a new Body Control Module ($300) in 2013. and now it has an issue with the windows fogging up on the inside (I've been told it's the sunroof drain lines being plugged). It has a vibration in the steering at 70 mph and above, but it's not bad enough to have looked at.

I drive my G6 almost every day and it has never left me stranded. I've been very impressed with the fuel economy (360-380 mpg highway, 405-410 mpg interstate) as it's the best of any vehicle I've ever owned in the past.

I would agree with the others in that every car is different and will have different issues, but they will have similar issues as well sometimes. If you like the car and enjoy driving it then that's what's important.

CornG6
2005 G6 - 3.5L
1985 Ford Thunderbird - 3.8L
1970 Chevy C20 - 250 L6
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 04:17 PM

I bought a 2006 gt sedan last April with 113k on it and now 9 months later it has almost 128k on it and has had no problems. I had a flat tire and have had to replace the front brakes, however Pontiacs in general are known for eating brakes. I drive it hard sometimes but also take good care of it, it was also used in a rental fleet before I bought it and showed no problems on the carfax besides some idiot running over a stop sign and the repairs for that.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 AM

I bought my 08 GT off the showroom floor with 300 miles on it and it has been a dream car for me 8 years later. The most I've done to it is all maintenance related (tranny filter, brakes, etc). Zero issues in all that time. I'm only now starting to get the infamous fuel smell/leak at the tank and developing an oil leak at the lower intake, but that's bound to happen at almost 100k. Couldn't be happier in my G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in