07 G6 with 8,500 miles - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

07 G6 with 8,500 miles

A used car dealership in my hometown has an 07 Pontiac G6 with 8,500 miles on it. Story is that "he is selling it for a friend" and not making a dime. The friend got the car from his deceased mother-in-law's estate.....he thinks. The dealer started the car up for me, and it really does look brand spanking new inside. It was beautiful. He ran something like "Auto Trader" or something to show me no problems with mileage, ownership, etc. (He would not pay for a "carfax").

My question is, can the car be hurt in any way from sitting, not running for several years. I guess the deceased mother in law purchased the car in 08?, drove it very little, and it sat in the garage mostly.

Dealer is asking $6,500 firm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 PM

He probably ran an "Autocheck". Very similar to Carfax, and about as reliable.
The only problem with letting a car sit is that that some of the rubber seals can deteriorate, and the gas in the tank can turn to sludge.
Unless the oil is all sparkly clear, I would get it changed, and fill up the tank with fresh gas, and maybe a bottle of Dri-gas or similar.
The tires are probably in need of a replacement, since they're ten years old. Maybe the coolant. (It probably uses Dexcool.)
The worst that will likely happen is that the fuel pump (located in the tank) will fail. And THAT'S not even certain.
That sounds like a decent price, although it's probably not worth that much, according to KBB. If you're going to buy it to keep and drive, and not to flip, the value is less of a consideration. If it checks out, and you love the car, go for it.
(I paid $14K for a 41,000 mile 2010 G6 GT, in 2013, so I get it.)

Raydar

2010 G6 GT, 18x8 Mach M7 wheels. Essentially stock.
1988 Fiero Formula fastback. 4.9 Cadillac Allante V8. NVG T550 5 speed. Not even close to stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in