G6 Convertible General Reliability Question - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

G6 Convertible General Reliability Question

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and am thinking about getting a G6 Hardtop Convertible as my first car (I'm a college student). I appreciate the flexibility of a hardtop to use during varying northeastern seasons and weather conditions, so I think this car is a reasonable mix of functionality, practicality, and fun.

I have read many reviews and threads about the car, both good and bad. Given any G6 Hardtop I buy now would be at least about 10 years old, I wanted to get opinions about how reliable they are at this age and beyond? I don't want to buy one only to have it become a money pit in repair costs. Are parts (especially for the actual hardtop) hard and expensive to find? Basically, do you think this would be a reliable car with reasonable ownership and repair costs?

Thank you for any advice, I appreciate it!

Cheers,
Drew G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 PM

As far as I am aware there are no new parts available for the convertible top. If you need something you will have to find it as a used part. ebay, Car breakers, etc will be your likely sources. I have a 2007 convertible and until recently it has been very reliable. I had one of the main hydraulic lift cylinders fail. I found replacements at a local pick your part. long story short I believe having one go bad put additional load on the other and I went through both "spares" in a few weeks. I have sent a pair of them to Top Hydraulics who replace the seals etc. Not too cheap at $200 a piece but worth it to have the top working again. Hopefully I will have some good news once they are returned.

Before the recent issues I would use / move the top most days and I have had the car for about 5 years. Convertible top aside, many of the parts are available and you will likely face similar issues with any car of the age / mileage you purchase. Overall I am still happy I chose the G6 Convertible and I hope to be happier when I get the top working again

Good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:54 AM

In the 2008 production year, some of the top components were upgraded.
https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analy...duction-hiatus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:39 PM

I bought my G6 GTP new in 2006, fresh off the truck with 7 miles on it. I now have 176,690 miles and still enjoy the car as much as I did then. I have had some minor issues with it and a major transmission issue but overall it has proven to be a very good purchase. Right now I have a coolant leak that I know where it is coming from but I cannot find a part name or number after searching the internet for the last two evening and I took multiple pictures to 3 different auto parts stores today and still no luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM

My opinion is, if you buy a hardtop convertible, you are gambling. The top could work for years or could break tomorrow. I LOVED my hardtop convertible. Then the sensors went out. Can't find any to replace them. Now the top doesn't work and the trunk can't open. The car still runs like a gem. It's a shame that you can't find certain parts anymore. Good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM

I had a 2007 for a short time with no issues. I've owned a 2006 since early 2010. It now has 141K miles on it and has NEVER had a top problem--me and 3 teens have been driving it. I also own a 2009.5 and have had it since 2014. It wasn't opening and lowering exactly in sync. Got it fixed for approximately $300 just over a year ago and haven't had any further issues. No one I've spoken to directly that owns one has had issues either, although certainly I've read stuff online same as you. I LOVE the hardtop for seasonal (Indiana), and I realize that if it goes out, I'll just have a coupe! As far as the trunk not opening (or if it is related) from the previous person -- the 2006 and 2007's trunks would still open with the top down and you had maybe 4-6 inches of space between the panels. Still ok if you were carrying something small or relatively flat. I don't know about the 2008 and 2009 models, but by 2009.5 (and I believe I'd read by 2009), Pontiac disabled the opening of the trunks completely when the top is down.
Assess the problem of having a 'coupe' if it does fail. Let that help. Otherwise they've been great and economical and good on fuel usage for me (3.5L).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Is the trunk inoperable on a model year where the trunk used to be able to open with the top down? Or does your model year not open with the top down at all and that affects that you've got no trunk once it went out? Hope that makes enough sense to answer. I could deal with a non-operating convertible top, but the trunk not opening would just not be okay. Any experience from anyone else out there on this?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglandGigiGirl View Post
Is the trunk inoperable on a model year where the trunk used to be able to open with the top down? Or does your model year not open with the top down at all and that affects that you've got no trunk once it went out? Hope that makes enough sense to answer. I could deal with a non-operating convertible top, but the trunk not opening would just not be okay. Any experience from anyone else out there on this?
my 07s trunk will open with the top down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM

My 07 trunk will open with the top down also. There has to be some access to the trunk when the top is down in case it malfunctions and you need to either work on it or manually operate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in