Calling all convertible owners - Page 2 - Pontiac G6 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=zenish;271819]
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
2008 G6 GT with 145,000 miles. I'm having the opposite problem. I can't keep my trunk open. Most of the time, I have to hold the trunk lid up or else it falls down while I'm putting things in the trunk. (This doesn't affect the automatic roof.) Do you think I just need to replace those two trunk struts?
The hidraulic struts are shot. You need to replace them or do like me. I have a broomstick I keep in the trunk and use it to keep the trunk lid from going down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 AM

^Or you can purchase these to keep your trunk lid up^
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM

I need to order a trunk fuse block(box) for my 2006 g6 gtp convertible. I would like the part # and a website to order it from. My car wont start, it cranks over but wont fire up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:04 PM

Calling all convertible owners Reply to Thread

07 Black GT Convertible with 162k miles
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
2006 Black GTP, 83K Miles. Second owner bought it with 67,000 miles on it. The car only had one owner previous owner. Less than 3 month later the engine blew. My aftermarket warranty and help from the Dealership got the engine replaced with a brand new 3.9 GM engine. Only other nagging issue in a Low Coolant light that comes on every time I start the car. Sometimes it goes off, sometimes it doesn't. Dealer pressure tested the system at 3 different oil changes and says there are no leaks and the coolant level is good.

Being near Chicago, it's time to start putting the top down and hoping for the best. Is there any preventative maintenance that should be performed in the Spring? Lubrication? Anything? Can't find any mention of such a process online.

Last edited by Rob0519; 05-30-2019 at 08:47 PM.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:11 AM

G6 GT hardtop will not go up, Houston 2 yrs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddo44pct View Post
What model and year? Maybe we could help each other if we know who the convertible owners are in one thread
I have a gray 06 GTP convertible with approx.56000 miles
Thanks
Have you received any help with the hard top? I think we all should file a small claim against GM for just leaving everyone hanging? [email protected]
zenish likes this.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Lube all the joints on the arms but before you drop the top make sure you have enough fluid in the hydraulic reservoir (remove rear panel in trunk on passengers side. It is the white plastic thing with a copper colored fill cap on top and a MAX line on it). I made the mistake of lowering it on low fluid. Then it would not raise. Keep in mind nothing else was wrong... I had to remove the trunk lid, back seats, take all of the pins out to manually lift the top - it is not light and requires 2 people - then put it all back together to find that it seems to have an error code that I need a Tech2 to release. I am not going to pay a dealer but bought an emulator and have a 32bit laptop to run it on thank god since it does not work on 64bit like most now are. So maybe, this will have only cost me about $128 for the emulator, $29 for the fluid (it HAS to be GM88901975) and about $35 in tools by the time it is all fixed. Not to mention about 4 days of crawling in and out of my car for hours adjusting things and cutting/bruising myself up. My neighbor actually asked me what the deal was with me and the car on the 4th day. Whatever you do make sure there is fluid in the stupid reservoir and don't count on dealers or online material to be able to help you either. Every time I think I have located the last mirco sensor there is another one and almost all are difficult to remove if you have to replace or in my case test them. The dealers around here cannot fix them so any error message they blame it on the controller which they claim you cannot find now that Pontiac is out of business. Not so... they just cannot fix these things. My advice is learn how it works before it breaks on you unlike me!
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 PM

Dealers are retards! These are all simple sensors. You could replace them with many aftermarket ones but that fact aside... there are a lot of sensors and the reason your trunk will not work is because by default your top is error state so until it is cleared by a Tech2 the computer will not allow it to open. The key here is fix the top the trunk should work afterwards. There is most likely a message of "Top not Secured" on your radio screen. If the top is secured, then it likely is an error to be cleared by a Tech2. Also, the hydraulic reservoir in the trunk on the passenger side under the plastic inner fender should be to the max line. Only use GM 88901975 on it! I am going to try an emulator for the Tech2 and see if I can access the sensors on mine.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:28 AM

It's great seeing all of these mechanical folks fixing their own cars. That takes a lot of know how! Well, I will never be fixing any car. I live in Illinois, across the river from St. Louis. If there is anyone out there within 100 mile radius or so from St. Louis, sure would like to know. A good mechanic who would take on the repair of my convertible. Sure would be nice to have that car "sun and fun" usable again.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:38 PM

New member: 2007 Convertible Owner

New member: 2007 G6 3.5L white convertible with 56K miles. Oil pan appears to be leaking. I just replaced the oil filter adapter gasket which I now think wasn't leaking.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by acman View Post
New member: 2007 G6 3.5L white convertible with 56K miles. Oil pan appears to be leaking. I just replaced the oil filter adapter gasket which I now think wasn't leaking.
it might be the oil light sender.that was my leak.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddo44pct View Post
.....Maybe we could help each other if we know who the convertible owners are in one thread.....
Then you'll have one VERY big multi-page thread with dozens of subjects and it will be difficult to sort through.
You'll get the best fastest reply if you post your problem in a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 PM

My husband making me get rid of my 07 G6 GT convertible. Everything seem to be going out. Examples include cruise, steering wheel controls, pedal adjustment, hard top hydraulic. Windshield washer, seat heater just to name a few
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Hello all!! I've got a '07 and I love it!!
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 PM

The oil pan leaks on many of them from what I have seen. It is a very intense job from what I have been told by my friend who is also a mechanic at midas. You have to un-bolt passenger side engine mount and lift it a certain height to clear the pan out from under the car and before that remove the convertible structural supports. There are other things but mine doesn't leak too bad so I am saving it for another time. The few things I have done to my engine have always been way too difficult. The waterpump, the thermostat before that. Not fun at all! Very tight room and being careful not to break something else is priority!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in