Calling all convertible owners - Pontiac G6 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Calling all convertible owners

What model and year? Maybe we could help each other if we know who the convertible owners are in one thread
I have a gray 06 GTP convertible with approx.56000 miles
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 PM

07 GT Convertible with 160k miles
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Black 07 3.9L with 56K miles. Nervous anticipation time has arrived, every spring after long winter I wonder is top going to work again this summer. Will find out soon.
zenish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Grey 2007 with around 80,xxx miles on it. Can't open top or trunk anymore. Dealer mechanic says it is the sensors and can't be fixed. Now it's just our 3rd car to drive when needed. Always keep hoping that someone will come up with what it is we need to fix. Sure do miss driving in the summer!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecreations View Post
Grey 2007 with around 80,xxx miles on it. Can't open top or trunk anymore. Dealer mechanic says it is the sensors and can't be fixed. Now it's just our 3rd car to drive when needed. Always keep hoping that someone will come up with what it is we need to fix. Sure do miss driving in the summer!
If it is just a sensor you could try one of the following to get the trunk open for a closer look:-
  • Disconnect the battery to fully shut down the electronics. Reconnect and immediately and repeatedly try the trunk release. I have not tried this but have heard it mentioned before.
  • Slightly harder is to remove the rear seats, push past any trunk lining and hook the trunk release handle.
If the trunk is open you can get at many of the micro switches and inspect the wiring. For a more detailed review you would need access to a higher end diagnostic or a GM Tech II

Hope you get it working again...
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:24 PM

thanks for the response. may check into your suggestions. need to run across a good mechanic willing to experiment I think. One the dealer tells you it's done, kinda sinks your hopes.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM

If you have a weak cylinder that leaks internally it will not have the push or pull to contact the sensor to complete the fold cycle. In this case the GM Tech II will read faulty sensor but in reality its the cylinder.
I took mine to a seasoned mechanic who told me the diagnostics written for these tops was very poor and figured out my issue, which was one of the cylinders.
You can get them rebuilt here: https://www.tophydraulics.com/78-pontiac
zenish and Convertme like this.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 PM

Garage
Red 2007 GT 3.5L, with 162k. Trunk cover and wings are busted, like so many others, so I can't open the top for now. But she's fun nonetheless.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
If you have a weak cylinder that leaks internally it will not have the push or pull to contact the sensor to complete the fold cycle. In this case the GM Tech II will read faulty sensor but in reality its the cylinder.
I took mine to a seasoned mechanic who told me the diagnostics written for these tops was very poor and figured out my issue, which was one of the cylinders.
You can get them rebuilt here: https://www.tophydraulics.com/78-pontiac
I had both of my large main cylinders rebuilt by Top Hydraulics and have to say it is great having a working top again.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:30 PM

Love my G6

2006 Red G6 GT 3.5 45 k miles, original owner, stored winters. Excellent condition. Starting to upgrade things.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 AM

2008 G6 GT with 145,000 miles. I'm having the opposite problem. I can't keep my trunk open. Most of the time, I have to hold the trunk lid up or else it falls down while I'm putting things in the trunk. (This doesn't affect the automatic roof.) Do you think I just need to replace those two trunk struts?

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, 3.5L V6, 150K miles
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:42 AM
08 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liger95 View Post
Red 2007 GT 3.5L, with 162k. Trunk cover and wings are busted, like so many others, so I can't open the top for now. But she's fun nonetheless.
Not sure what a "trunk cover" is. If you're talking about the plastic panel on top with 2 side wings, that should not keep you from using the top. I've seen cars with that panel missing completely and the top worked fine.

If you're taking about the rollup "shade" cover inside the trunk, you can get those on ebay. You can also cheat by sticking something in the right side end to actuate the switch. Just don't put stuff in the trunk above the shade level or something will crunch
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:52 AM
08 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Do you think I just need to replace those two trunk struts?
Yes. PN 15946803
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
2008 G6 GT with 145,000 miles. I'm having the opposite problem. I can't keep my trunk open. Most of the time, I have to hold the trunk lid up or else it falls down while I'm putting things in the trunk. (This doesn't affect the automatic roof.) Do you think I just need to replace those two trunk struts?
yes
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxG6 View Post
Not sure what a "trunk cover" is. If you're talking about the plastic panel on top with 2 side wings, that should not keep you from using the top. I've seen cars with that panel missing completely and the top worked fine.
Yeah, that's it. One of the wings had fallen off completely, but the other was half-on with a snapped cable, and would've interfered with the top operation. I had trouble removing it completely last summer, but about a week ago, I gave it another shot, and finally got it off. I have put it down 3 times since then, and it works perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in