Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Recent G6 Purchase- likelihood I made a mistake?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  dxG6 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2007 G6 GT Convertible, one owner with 126k miles pretty inexpensively as a first car for someone (though recently I think I will just give that person my brand new car and drive the Pontiac). Older owner and did seem very honest. I had a relatively in depth test drive and the engine and trans seem issue free. Everything works, including the top. Only issues are a whirring noise when the wheel is at the extreme left or right, a clunking noise when the wheel is turned extreme left or right, some very minor clunk sounds (of the general old car variety), and a low whistle sometimes when accelerating, which he said had something to do with the catalytic converter/muffler assembly. The car is inspected through August of next year,

I only need the car to last 12-16 months with a weekly mileage of 100-150 (without major repairs) to make this investment worth it. Do you guys think I stand a good chance of that happening?

Thanks

#5 ·
These cars are reliable and durable if properly and promptly maintained. At that mileage, front end parts are going to start needing replacement due to wear. Lower control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links and bushings, struts and so on. Just replace them in pairs/sets as they fail, not a big deal if you plan for those expenses. If you can do some or all of the work yourself, the car is a bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.