G6 "Problems"? (Important, need help ASAP please) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

G6 "Problems"? (Important, need help ASAP please)

Hey. I'm in the process of looking at a flood titled 07 G6 GTP Coupe (more info about it in the Intro section). I had a shop look at it just so I could have another set of eyes check it out. He noticed in the truck and hood that there was no clear coat and said he is positive the car had been repainted there. The paint is dull and not shiny. The only possible way of seeing this is by opening up the hood or trunk, its not visible from the outside. Could some of you guys check and see if yours are like that too? I'm led to believe that its how the factory did it because the strut towers and radiator support are all like that as well. Also, the guy selling it to me has an Impala and it is just like that too.

Another thing, the seat tracks and under the dash (steering shaft, brackets, etc) all have minor, almost getting bad, surface rust. It is hard for me to believe that a car that is as nice as this had water all the way up to the steering wheel. The seller also checked his Impala and said its the same as well (Impala had no flood damage). Could this also just be another "problem" GM had with their cars? If everyone doesn't mind getting back to me ASAP it would be appreciated. I can't take too long sitting around.

Next step is to see if my insurance company will insure it, and if my bank will give me a good loan rate. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Garage
I'm not sure about the interior rust, but the under side of the hood and trunk are not clear coated from the factory. GM only clear coats the outer sides of the panels. Engine bays, door jambs, and undersides are all painted with base coat only.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that. If anyone has the free time to check under their dash for the rust it would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
I know the metal under my steering wheel which is a part of the dash is rusty. Not horrible, but just a little rust. 87k miles and 2006 G6.

I can acclaim to the clear coat issue too. The only clear coated parts are the outside. Everything inside is a base coat, including the trunk, hood, etc

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
I know the metal under my steering wheel which is a part of the dash is rusty. Not horrible, but just a little rust. 87k miles and 2006 G6.

I can acclaim to the clear coat issue too. The only clear coated parts are the outside. Everything inside is a base coat, including the trunk, hood, etc
Could you possibly supply an image? I hate to be a pain but if it ends up being normal I doubt the car had any damage at all. Also, did you notice any on the seat tracks?

I noticed this first by looking in the little gap where the locking mechanism for the tilt wheel is. On this car you can see it rusty up there as well. Thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
I've never noticed any rust on my seat tracks, and I've taken all my seats out before. I don't know when I can get you a picture of the rust. I'll shoot for tomorrow if I remember and I have time. I'd have to take some of the dash apart.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

You should be able to just stick a camera where your feet go and point it up. No problem if you can't do it, it's all only if you got the time. Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I had some lady come into my work with a G6 so I asked if I could take a peak under the dash. I did and it looks just like the one I'm getting, so that reassures me that there probably wasn't any water in the car.

One more question though. It has the lower steering shaft knocking noise going on. The guy didn't know at the time but he said he would have it fixed before I get it. If it gets replaced will that solve the problem or is it just going to keep doing it. It is a very common issue on Impalas. Apparently its the same for the G6. Anyone know? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > G6 Buyer's Guide/General Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in